View Full Version : 12v stopped working

rasta
January 24th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Noticed my phone wouldn't get charged anymore so I did some research on my bike. When I turn my bike's power on, I see the red light on the 12v turn on for a second or so before shutting off. This leads me to believe I have a weak connection in the back of my bike between the license plate light and my red/black wires from the 12v. I also believe I just need to remove my splices and connect the wires with some good ole solder. Does my trail of thought sound right to you?

NevadaWolf
January 24th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I always start these responses by saying I'm no electrician. :)

If everything else is working right, then yeah sounds like there is something loose with the connection on the 12v, either on the positive or the ground. I like checking the ground first to make sure that connection is solid. Then yeah check the positive. Depending on how you hooked them up they may have worked themselves apart.

Solder good, me like solder! :)

rasta
January 24th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I soldered.......same problem. Maybe this means I suck at soldering.

NevadaWolf
January 24th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Or the problem is elsewhere.

Um, if it were me, my next step would be to test the 12v itself. Free it when all connections and use a spare wire with gator clips to hook it directly to the battery. If it fails still, the something is wrong with the 12v

If it passes, then there is something wrong at the point the wires connect. I'd try wiring them together and being extra careful to make a clean connection.

Just, that's what I'd do. But again, not an electrician so I stumble around blindly a lot. :)

TnNinjaGirl
January 24th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Does your charger socket happen to have a fuse and if so is that fuse good?

Also check to make sure the ground wire(s) are secured to a clean, metal mating surface.

That's all I can think of right now as there really isn't a lot going on in the back of that bike wiring wise.

rasta
January 24th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Survey says....crappy USB connector. Took it out and plugged into my car and the same thing happened. So that's good news. Guess I didn't have to solder, but at least I have a better connection back there now. Coooool beans

TnNinjaGirl
January 24th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Glad it was simple. Electrical problems are sometimes a biotch

Sirref
January 24th, 2014, 10:13 PM
I soldered.......same problem. Maybe this means I suck at soldering.

did you crimp the lines? (nvm problem solved, but still that'll make the connection last much longer) just using electrical tape over solder, or worse nothing, is asking the connection to fail down the line

rasta
January 25th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Whoops I didn't technically crimp them beforehand, but I did twist them pretty well with some needle nose.