View Full Version : Rear brake squeak after pad change.

ranma3030
January 25th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Title says It all really. Changed the rear pads a few days ago and now its squeaking. I hit a rather large pot hole today and I swear I heard it squeak then as well.

Is this normal after you change the brake pads? Should I pull them out and reinstall them?

Once again cheers guys :)

ranma3030
January 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM
bump :)

mgentz
January 25th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Did you break them in?

ranma3030
January 25th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Did you break them in?

No :( guess thats noob mistake number 2113.

how do you brake them in?

TnNinjaGirl
January 25th, 2014, 05:20 PM
When you install brake pads you should coat the BACK of the pad (the surface that mates with the pistons) with a THIN layer of anti-seize or copper paste.

Squealing come from Deliverance and the super fast vibrations created between the pad and piston surface.

ranma3030
January 25th, 2014, 07:04 PM
When you install brake pads you should coat the BACK of the pad (the surface that mates with the pistons) with a THIN layer of anti-seize or copper paste.

Squealing come from Deliverance and the super fast vibrations created between the pad and piston surface.

Wow! Thanks big time! Ill head out tomorrow and see if I can find something at the auto store! Thanks once again all. This is why I love this forum!

Shinny side up!

dcj13
January 25th, 2014, 08:22 PM
...Squealing come from Deliverance and the super fast vibrations created between the pad and piston surface.

Or the resonant frequency of the pad or adjacent brake mounting do-dads.

If you get any of that anti-seize compound on your clothes it will not ever wash out. You can also use a similarly thin layer of hi-temp silicone grease (it doesn't wash out, either). For what ever compound you use, don't get any on the business-side of the pad surface itself (should go without saying...).

And clean all the brake dust off of all those mating surfaces before you apply any grease or anti-seize compound!