View Full Version : DIY chain and sprockets

quadcrazy
January 25th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Hey guys I am trying to decide if I can change the chain and sprockets myself or if I'm going to have to cough up the money to have a shop do it. I was wondering if anyone knows the difficulty of this job? It seems like it should be ok but I dont know if ill need any special tools or anything. The thing I know the least about is the chain. Does the master link require any special tools?

Thanks for any info!

TnNinjaGirl
January 25th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Pretty easy job. You are going to need some kind of cutting tool and an impact gun along with the required sockets (not sure of sizes) and a ratchet. A torque wrench wouldn't be a bad idea if you have access to one or can get one for cheap.

Depends on what kind of master link you have as to how you will put it on.

quadcrazy
January 25th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Pretty easy job. You are going to need some kind of cutting tool and an impact gun along with the required sockets (not sure of sizes) and a ratchet. A torque wrench wouldn't be a bad idea if you have access to one or can get one for cheap.

Depends on what kind of master link you have as to how you will put it on.

Thanks. I have all of that except for an impact gun, what would that be used for? And are there any types of master links that you would suggest avoiding? The only type I've heard of is some sort of clip on.

TnNinjaGirl
January 25th, 2014, 05:24 PM
You need an impact to remove the nut holding the front sprocket on. It's usually on there pretty tight (idk the torque spec). I suppose you could get it off with a breaker bar but the bike needs to be IN gear with the chain ON and the rear wheel touching the ground with quite a bit of weight on it. Usually easier to just use an impact.

I've used both kinds of master links and haven't had problems with either. There is a clip on type that some people say you shouldn't use and the other type is just like the factory one. It requires a clamp, vise or a chain tool to install properly.

TnNinjaGirl
January 25th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Zw0udWDBem4

and

sM022oIyIC8

quadcrazy
January 25th, 2014, 05:35 PM
You need an impact to remove the nut holding the front sprocket on. It's usually on there pretty tight (idk the torque spec). I suppose you could get it off with a breaker bar but the bike needs to be IN gear with the chain ON and the rear wheel touching the ground with quite a bit of weight on it. Usually easier to just use an impact.

I've used both kinds of master links and haven't had problems with either. There is a clip on type that some people say you shouldn't use and the other type is just like the factory one. It requires a clamp, vise or a chain tool to install properly.

This is a big help, thank you!

old3
January 25th, 2014, 05:37 PM
On the 1-10 scale the whole job is about a 3 in difficulty.

Invest in this tool IMO,

http://www.revzilla.com/product/rk-chain-cutter-and-press-fit-rivet-tool?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=sc&scpid=8&scid=scsho1531254

if you plan on riding bikes into the future. I didn't shop prices so look around. You will be able to use that for the rest of your life if you take care of it. I use it as a press too crush the master together to get a clip on it if it isn't the rivet style.

quadcrazy
January 26th, 2014, 09:25 AM
That tool definitely seems like its worth it. As far as sprockets go are they pretty universal in size? I know the amount of teeth can vary but when I'm shopping online I dont really see any options for different sizes on different bikes.

dcj13
January 26th, 2014, 09:36 AM
On the 1-10 scale the whole job is about a 3 in difficulty.

Invest in this tool IMO,

http://www.revzilla.com/product/rk-chain-cutter-and-press-fit-rivet-tool?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=sc&scpid=8&scid=scsho1531254

if you plan on riding bikes into the future. I didn't shop prices so look around. You will be able to use that for the rest of your life if you take care of it. I use it as a press too crush the master together to get a clip on it if it isn't the rivet style.

That chain tool is a beauty! The Harbor Freight version is about $20. I bought an in-between version from Cycle Gear for $40 on sale (regularly around $60).

High-end tools are nice, especially when you're at a point in life where you can afford it.

old3
January 26th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I've used and owned cheaper stuff too. That one was worth the investment. It stays in the box on the shelf and is a pleasure to operate. I expect it to last thru my kids lifetime too.

The key to building a nice tool collection is knowing where to save and where to spend. Pliers and screwdrivers, hammers and such, save as much as you can, (Harbor Freight!). Even mid quality wrenches are OK these days, Craftsman or Home Depot stuff. That chain tool is worth the investment. Buy it with the $ you saved in labor doing it yourself.

Ratchet handles are a good place to spend a bit more too, as the mid grade stuff is so failure prone these days. Junk! Craftsman stuff used to have a lifetime warranty that you never used, now I return the damn 3/8" drive things every few months.

cbinker
January 26th, 2014, 07:21 PM
if you dont have an impact gun, you can use a 2x4 between the wheel and swing arm to loosen the front sprocket. impact guns make it really easy.

Xtina
January 28th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Impact gun with the bike in gear seems like a bad idea. I wouldn't put strain on the gearbox like that. A regular breaker bar with a piece of wood between the swingarm and wheel are a safer choice.

DaveTheCanuck
January 28th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Impact gun with the bike in gear seems like a bad idea. I wouldn't put strain on the gearbox like that. A regular breaker bar with a piece of wood between the swingarm and wheel are a safer choice.

I took the best of both worlds... I wrapped my breaker bar in a towel, jammed it in the rear wheel, put the bike in neutral and used an impact gun to remove the front sprocket :P