View Full Version : What kind of music?

miks
April 4th, 2009, 05:57 AM
G'day gents & ladies.

Was sitting here on my computer searching through my music library, as was wondering ................................................................................ .......................................

What kind of music do the people on Ninjette listen to?

I myself will basically listen to everything, but I seem to go through stages and phases, currently I'm into the Rap scene, and Opera (not the crazy dressed up fat lady singing her lungs off, but the kind like ... Il Divo, or old school Pavarotti).

Buffalony
April 4th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I like everything too.
I mainly produce rap/hip hop with the PC on keys..but I listen to everything down to deathmetal.
I practice bass alot to rush,police/sting, SOAD to sabath, Slayer, Avenged 7x
Always Singing to sublime, Incubus, Chili Peppers :)

etc etc

miks
April 4th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Aren't you talented! Singer and bass player, are you in a band by any chance?

Buffalony
April 4th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Aren't you talented! Singer and bass player, are you in a band by any chance?

Not right now. I am the band:D Keys play anything.

Strider
April 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM
My favorite is Alice Cooper ... can't go wrong with some good ol' Coop!

sm0kediver
April 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm a musician, and my tastes are very eclectic...

Tony Rice

Jerry Garcia

Bela Fleck

Sheryl Crowe

Gillian Welch

Norah Jones

Doc Watson

JD Crowe

Norman Blake

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Led Zeppelin

Aerosmith

Robert Johnson

it goes on and on and on

Broom
April 4th, 2009, 10:18 AM
old school 90s hiphop, indie, rock, metal

http://www.last.fm/user/computergangsta

TnNinjaGirl
April 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
+1 for some Bela Fleck and the Fleckstones.

I have a collection of about 20,000 songs on my hard drive and listen to everything from Louis Armstrong to Three Six Mafia. My Ipod mostly stays loaded with things like Wallflowers, Oasis, Collective Soul, Ten Years, Breakin Benjamin, etc...

cwb48
April 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I just watched the DVD of Allison Krause and Union Station in concert at the Louisville Palace. I'm not a country fan, but man, what a great band and fantastic show.

I am an Allison fan now.

Chris

Buffalony
April 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.last.fm/user/computergangsta

:thumbup: almost same taste

BlueTyke
April 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I generaly listen to everything at least once with the exception of Hard hard Rock (screaming into the mic..) and Hard rap (b*tchs and Hoes... :rolleyes: ).

komohana
April 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
i listen to alot of different shtuff..whatever....
i like jazz - pat metheney, hiroshima, shadowfax, spyro gyro
i like old stuff - journey, rush, scorpions (black out! yeah) umm..:rad: eagles, zepplin, old police, prefab sprouts
i like some hip/hop (whatever wife's listening to)
i like reggae - bob of course, aswad, yellowman, dreaed ashanti, steel pulse, alpha blondi,
i like..local kine - kalapana, c&k, country comfort, kapena, bruddah iz,
(da old stuff)
some new-age - tao of healing, spirit dreams
and i've started to collect the sound tracks of some korean movies/drama series i've watched. alot of musical tracks, some vocals too.

:music:

00v_Lucky
April 4th, 2009, 02:31 PM
going to go see winds of plague tonight ^^

sm0kediver
April 4th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I just watched the DVD of Allison Krause and Union Station in concert at the Louisville Palace. I'm not a country fan, but man, what a great band and fantastic show.

I am an Allison fan now.

Chris

You can add AKUS to my list too. I've been an Alison fan forever.

Moo-wasaki
April 4th, 2009, 03:26 PM
You mean Opera, gotcha!

I listen to talk radio shows. I bet I have more podcasts downloaded than songs.

k-os
April 4th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I enjoy reggae, hip-hop/rap.

JaeL
April 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
hip/hop

sometimesido
April 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I listen to...Everything.
How about we post up artist and song we're listening to now?
So whoever checks this thread can check them out if they wanted to?
Seems like we have have diverse group here.

Artist - Song
Hirano Aya - God Knows

CC Cowboy
April 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I used to listen to music a lot more than I do now. It seems like the only time I have time now is in the car. I get my fill when I drive up north, 18 hours each way. Here are a few of the artists I listen to in alphabetical order (not that I listen to them this way);

AC/DC - when Bon Scott was in the band.
Aerosmith - I first saw them play at Millis High School in Mass.
Alan Parsons Project
Alice in Chains
Allman Brothers Band
Alvin Lee - with and without Ten Years After
The Animals
Argent
The Band
Beatles - Paul McCartney's other band
Beck
Jeff Beck
The Black Crowes
Blind Faith
Blood, Sweat and Tears - with Al Kooper
Blue Cheer - loudest band I ever heard
Blue Oyster Cult
Bob Marley
Booker T and the MG's
The Boss - Bruce
Byran Ferry - with and without Roxy Music
Carlos Santana
The Clash
Collective Soul
Count Five
Counting Crows
Cream
The Cure
David Bowie
Deep Purple
Depeche Mode
Derek and the Dominoes
Dire Straits
The Doors
Elvis Costello
ELP
Eric Johnson
The Fabulous Thunderbirds
Farrenheit - Charlie Farren was in the Joe Perry Project in Boston
Fine Young Cannibals
Flash
Foo Fighters
Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush
Gary Moore
Genesis - early stuff with Peter Gabriel
Gerard Kenny - from El Primo and New York band from my childhood
Goo Goo Dolls
Guns N Roses
The Hassels - when Billy Joel was Rock and Roll (he lives down the block from me in NY)
Humble Pie - Steve Marriott had a killer voice and a great band
INXS
J Geils Band - Peter Wolf was the man
James Brown - the godfather
Jane's Addition
Janis Joplin
Jason Becker
Jimi Hendrix
Joe Jackson
Joe Perry Project
Joe Satriani
John Lee Hooker - one of the better Hookers
King Crimson
The Kinks
Led Zep
Lee Michaels
Lou Reed
Madness
Marc Bolin
Marc Cohen
Matchbox 20
Maxy Priest
MC5
Metallica
Moby
The Motels
Nazz - I was born in Phili so I have to listen to Todd
Nichel Back
Nine Inch Nails
Oasis
Pat Moraz
Pearl Jam
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Ram Jam - my childhood best friend Larry's brother was in this band, El Primo, and the Hassels.
Ramones
Randy Newman
The Rascals - another NY band from my childhood
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Righteous Brothers
Robert Palmer
Robin Trower
Rolling Stones - of course
Savoy Brown
Smashmouth
Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden
Spencer Davis Group - Stevie Winwood got his start here
Spooky Tooth
Squeeze
Stanley Clarke
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Sting
Sublime
Supertramp
Ted Nugent
Tom Waits
Tommy Bolin - to bad he is dead. He and Jimi were so great but...
Traffic
U2
Van Halen
Velvet Revolver
Velvet Underground
Warren Zevon
The Who
Wilson Picket
XTC
Yardbirds
Zombies
ZZ Top

By now I'm pulling into Rhode Island (18 hours later). I do it again on the way home.

OldGuy
April 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
i listen to alot of different shtuff..whatever....

i like old stuff - journey, rush, scorpions (black out! yeah) umm..:rad: eagles, zepplin, old police, prefab sprouts
:music:

Steve you have to be careful when you say "old stuff". To some of us "old stuff" means you played Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, etc in your high school jazz band when you went out and played at the Prom's for small schools around your home town.

Somewhere along the line I developed a liking for the early "hard rock" groups like the original Black Sabbath, Kiss, Sticks and such. Lot's of 33 1/3 of them. That's another funny story - when we moved to CA in the 80's and my teenage kids had friends over they would be looking at the record covers and see those and say "so you like these guys?" and the kids would say, no that's my dads. Jaws did hit the floor.

These days, like Sunny, I like to listen to anything except Hard Rap and Rock.

sm0kediver
April 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I don't know how I forgot to add this, given all the Hawaiians on this board...

Bradda Iz :cool:

I mostly play guitar, but I play several other instruments, including Uke. Bradda Iz rocked.

komohana
April 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Steve you have to be careful when you say "old stuff". To some of us "old stuff" means you played ..

tried to avoid doing that JUST for that very reason! :doh:
although glenn, louis and benny had their spots on the record shelf....and i DID play trumpet in the jazz band..but we weren't good enuff to play anywhere. dad was a jazz musician, played upright bass early on..he later became a disc jockey at the local radio station for years (in the '60's)...he had a helluvah record collection...some old 78's too. (think thats what they were...but you know how that old stuff is...) :p

OldGuy
April 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Sounds like you had a great introduction to some great music. Wonder what they would think of todays music?

miks
April 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
When you guys want new music, do you guys buy it from shops or (il)legally download them?

Verus Cidere
April 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I only have one criteria for what I listen to: It has to mean something. If there's no important meaning behind it I find it completely pointless (Hmmm.... Sounds sorta redundant? :shifty:). So rap is almost all gone. Nothing but how many diseases you can get from all your hoes, how much money you can make talking to the same backbeat every other "artist" like you uses, and how many time's you've shot someone/been shot for no reason other than that they looked at you wrong.

I must say, however, that my preference is for metal/rock. I have a list I can give, but it's nowhere near as long (or impressive) as CC Cowboy's.

Avenged Sevenfold
Shadows Fall
Bullet for my Valentine
Aerosmith
AC/DC
Metallica
Rammstein
Steve Oimette
Smashing Pumpkins
System of a Down
Children of Bodem
Disturbed
Linkin Park
Static-X
Sixx A.M.
Papa Roach
Skillet
P.O.D. (they don't count as rap in my book. They have both meaning and real instruments)
Drowning Pool
Dragonforce
Switchfoot
Mudvayne
.......The list goes on and on! :rolleyes:

Broom
April 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
When you guys want new music, do you guys buy it from shops or (il)legally download them?

If there is an album that I want specifically then I pay for it and download from itunes. If I'm just looking to hear some new stuff I'll listen to pandora.com or last.fm ... Both are free and legal.
Posted via Mobile Device

komohana
April 4th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Sounds like you had a great introduction to some great music. Wonder what they would think of todays music?

they'd say:
"the music sounds the same, but the words are all wrong!..." :confused20:

zartan
April 5th, 2009, 12:49 AM
For me it could be rap, hip hop , rock, ska or even 14th century choral masses. But PLEZZ don't put me in a room of Folk musicans. ( sorry to my best friend doug who is one)
After 10 years building harps and hammer dulicmers I have freaking heard enough bout the dying dolphins and camp fire songs..
bring on some Flo rida
or even some English Beat!!!
Also
I love 40's music !!!

mcteague
April 5th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Mostly Classical ( especially J.S. Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, Shostakovich, Vivaldi) but I also listen to the following:

Loudon Wainwright III
Great Big Sea
Gaelic Storm
Solas
Altan
Loreena McKennit
Gipsy Kings
Jesse Cook

Still enjoy the Beatles, early Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.

Tim

azia
April 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I listen to pretty much everything except classical and jazz.

I think I'm more into songs than artists or genres. I guess I'm the musician's nightmare in that respect. :) I listen to a lot of top 40 because it's easy to sing to and passes the time walking to work but I also love everything from Nine Inch Nails to Rihanna to Kenny Chesney.

talldrink
April 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Blue Tyke:
"and Hard rap (b*tchs and Hoes... ). "

Verus Cidere:
"So rap is almost all gone. Nothing but how many diseases you can get from all your hoes, how much money you can make talking to the same backbeat every other "artist" like you uses, and how many time's you've shot someone/been shot for no reason other than that they looked at you wrong."

Stereotype much????

There does exist rap/hip-hop music that is NOT all this type of stereotypical crap.

Free your mind and........

Snake
April 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I listen to just about everything:
Classic Rock
Top 40
80's (which is now becoming classic Rock)
The Beatles
Country
Just to name a few but My favorite is the Blues.

talldrink
April 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I listen to just about everything (except heavy metal):

R&B
Rap
Country
Soft Rock
Blues
Motown
Gospel
Jazz
some classical (played the violin for a while soooo)

Sailariel
April 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I like Classical, Opera, Jazz (early Coltraine) and Folk--Early Baez, Dylan, Kingston Trio, Brothers Four, Limelighters, Maria Muldaur. Also Simon and Garfunkel, Bonnie Raitt, and Jimmy Buffett. Some of the early rock, like early Stones, Canned Heat, Eric Clapton, and early Grateful Dead. Lately, I have beenbeen listening to a lot of Blues.

miks
July 13th, 2009, 01:15 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/8/hippo_bump.jpg

:D

Well, since Michael Jackson's death I've found that I've been listening to A LOT of his music, and I still bloody love it.

ScorpionNinja
July 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I love GODSMACK! their still my fav band. I listen to and Enjoy 80's metal/hair, 80's rap/hip-hop, 90's metal/hair, 90's rap/hip-hop, Newer and older Country (80's - now), But at the Heart... id have to say "Hard Rock" and "Heavy Metal". Im not into todays teenage 'deathmetal' and todays 'hip-hop'. IMO the music thats came out in the last 5 years just SUCKs as a whole! Sully is coming out with his first Solo CD soon!!! Godsmack's New CD will be out this Fall/Winter!!! Cant wait.

Nny
July 17th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Lots of classic rock.
Tool. Nirvana. Soundgarden. The Doors. White Zombie. Nine Inch Nails. Alice In Chains. Faith no More. Ministry. Pearl Jam. Those are probably some of the few main stream stuff I listen to.
Otherwise:

Sasha. Dj Tiesto. Wumpscut. Carbon Based Lifeforms. Synaesthesia. Opeth. Strapping young lad. Acid Bath. Red Sparowes. Isis. Samael. Stef. Aphex Twin.

And right now I am listening to Helix - Psymbiant 6 (Chill pill)
http://home.comcast.net/~the.helix/music/psymbiant6.html

Too bad he isn't really keeping his page up to date...

CC Cowboy
July 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM
There is nothing like the song of the elusive 2 stroke.

Miss Daisy
November 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I listen to everything from Opera to Rock, the CD in my car today is Cheryl Cole!

I play the Alto Saxophone badly lol :D

hybridxx
November 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM
dubstep <3

wild-bill
November 28th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I listen to different kinds of music. Most of what I listen to is before the late '80s. And no country

Rock--50s-60s-Elvis, Chuck Berry, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival
70s-80s-Rory Gallagher, Foghat, Pat Travers, early ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Def Leppard, Rush
90s-Eric Gales Band, Kenny Wayne Shephard

Early rap/hip hop--Run DMC, UTFO, Whodini, Skinny Boys, Mantronix

Disco/funk--WAR, Parliment, CHIC, Sister Sledge, Average White Band, Wild Cherry,

Jazz--John Coltrane, Euge Groove, Miles Davis

R&B--Brandy. I LOVE Brandy. I want to marry Brandy!

8gauge
November 29th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I like everything too.
I mainly produce rap/hip hop with the PC on keys..but I listen to everything down to deathmetal.
I practice bass alot to rush,police/sting, SOAD to sabath, Slayer, Avenged 7x
Always Singing to sublime, Incubus, Chili Peppers :)

etc etc

Nice! I'm not really a producer, but I have FL studio 9, tonium pacemaker, WANTING some real decks.

I listen to rap/hip hop, selective techno and metal.

Favorite bands in no particular order :
poison the Well
Norma Jean
AILD
Lamb of God
The Devil Wears Prada
As Blood Runs Black

thurt88
November 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Thrash and Death metal. Sometimes old school 80's hair bands (reminds me of when I was a kid.) :thumbup:

onizthegnome
December 1st, 2010, 06:31 PM
i went through different phases. wee sing sing alongs to elvis, beach boys and michael jackson. then it was coolio, dr dre and snoop dogg. then oasis and foo fighters. got into techno in high school when alice deejay and robert miles got hot. nowadays mostly alternative and indie music. trip hop. junip, massive attack. deftones, incubus, tool, matisyahu, J5, ratatat, crystal castles. theres always something for my mood.

Ntotot
December 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM
Ozzyy!! bite his head off!! :D

classic rock, rock opera, progressive rock/metal, german metal..anything with distorted guitar riffs.

I play drum.

Blackwidow
December 2nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
i listen to anything and everything with a good beat. I hate heavy metal though...I have given it a fair chance but screaming is not my idea of good music !

ungluck
December 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.last.fm/user/EvilBunny13

don't get to scrobble from my ipod..but this is a good chunk of what i listen to if you go through the artist...it's a touch outdated..but aight

CC Cowboy
December 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Yoko Ono

Kevin2109
June 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM
dubstep <3

Yes!!

Apex
July 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
I'm pretty broad.

Classical is awesome. I'll break out the trombone, sax or flute for some of that.

I'll dig out the bass for Tool, Alice in Chains, Metallica, Casting Crowns, Third Day, etc. Guitar comes out for some Alice in Chains, Metallica, Van Halen (no solos!), and a few others.

I wish I had a drum kit......(been known to crank out some Offspring, Metallica, etc when I get behind one)

As far as artists/groups/composers:
Celtic Woman
Blaggards
Anthony Byrne
Tartanic
Pubcrawler
Metallica
Hans Zimmer
John Williams
Casting Crowns
Third Day
George Strait
Laura Story
Jamie Grace
Watermark
Alice In Chains
Sound Garden
Godsmack
Mercy Me
Jars of Clay
Heather Williams
Offspring
Toby Mac
Carried Away
Van Halen
Journey
Def Leppard
I think I still have a Coolio CD somewhere too.

In short, I have over 1300 CD's at my disposal. I listen to A LOT OF MUSIC. :D

Johnnyscoots
July 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM
Well, I grew up listening to Foreigner, Led Zep, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, J. Geils Band, SRV, Journey, lots of 70's rock. Dad loved Zepplin. All. The. Time. I got into break dancing in the early '80s (guess you could say I was pretty fly for a white guy) then my life changed forever when I got to go to my first concert: Iron Maiden. Started listening to heavier rock/metal. Loved thrash.

Now in my 40's I've started to drift over to instumental guitar like Paul Gilbert, Scale the Summit, Animals as Leaders. Nevermore, Periphery, Meshuggah. Coheed and Cambria, James Blunt, Hoobastank. Jason Mraz, Live, Apocolyptica. Rammstein, Mushroomhead, Opeth. Surprisingly, I've seen the Annie Moses Band in concert. "Rain Makes Corn. Corn makes Whiskey". Yep, rain is a good thing!

I don't listen to anything on the bike. Tried to. The wind blast, and the louder exhausts make it hard to listen to anything other than the sound of the bike rising and falling through its rev range. And that, my friends, is the best music of all when you're out riding.

johnny