View Full Version : Choppy throttle in 1st and 2nd gear

ally99
February 3rd, 2014, 06:03 AM
Forgive me if there's already been a post on this topic, but a quick search didn't reveal one.

Does anyone else have issues with a choppy throttle in 1st and 2nd gear? It seems like no matter how smooth I am on the throttle, those lower gears on the 300 are jerkier than other bikes I've had. Could this be an ECU issue? Or a throttle cable adjustment? Fuel? Just wondering if this is a random isolated issue or if other 300s have it as well. Thanks!

xaple
February 3rd, 2014, 06:05 AM
If it means anything, my 250 definitely suffers this problem. And I had a new ECU installed a few months back.

Alex
February 3rd, 2014, 08:23 AM
Jiggles has complained about it on his new 300. On mine there is a slight jump when going from completely no throttle to that first bit of any throttle, but it's not that noticeable unless I'm really looking for it.

Jiggles
February 3rd, 2014, 08:57 AM
It's actually in every gear. It's like the throttle jumps from 0 to 5% throttle. You can finely control the rest of the throttle range but that chunk is missing. It can make coasting pretty annoying and so I find myself rolling with the clutch in like I often did on my ninja 650.

I prefer to take my 250 in the twisties where I like to coast/maintain speed through turns

Sirref
February 3rd, 2014, 09:08 AM
I've only ever noticed a problem with initial roll on, in every gear at all times. The ecu recall didn't change it at all. I tightened the throttle cable but that didn't change anything for me so I've given up on a solution and accepted it as part of how the bike rides. If someone knows how to solve the issue that would be great but riding around it isn't that big of a deal to me.

old3
February 3rd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Ally, stock gearing? Slap a 15t on the front and enjoy. Smoother everywhere, less compression braking, not that it has much anyway.

For some reason this bike has the final drive gearing of a enduro race bike.

I've chased gearing up to 15/39 which proved to be my upper limit for normal riding. I might consider it if I ever need to slab across the country as it was mellow at speed. Any combo above stock and below that should be in the ball park of what regular street bikes are normally geared like.

I GPSed the 15t too, it corrects the speedo spot on up to 80 MPH. Within 1 MPH anyway. You will see the same speeds you see with stock gearing but you will now actually be going those speeds. Stock gearing gives you a false, higher speedo reading.

alex.s
February 3rd, 2014, 09:44 AM
can you reprogram the stock ecu? does power commander make a kit for the 300?

old3
February 3rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
Yes on both, along with Area P tunes and tuners.

alex.s
February 3rd, 2014, 10:59 AM
so i'm wondering if its just a problem with the throttle position sensor... cables might be tight to the throttle bodies but maybe the TPS on the throttle bodies isn't quite aligned right or is loose?

ally99
February 3rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
Ally, stock gearing? Slap a 15t on the front and enjoy. Smoother everywhere, less compression braking, not that it has much anyway.

I've heard others say a 15t is the way to go too.

It's definitely something I can deal with, it just makes slow speed stuff look at feel a bit ugly sometimes.

Thank you all for chiming in!

old3
February 3rd, 2014, 07:07 PM
Try it, $14 and I', pretty sure you will fall in love with it like that. Why this bike has that gearing stock makes no sense to me at all. It will smooth right out.

If you want to try it for free, start in second gear like I was regularly doing, even with a passenger. I'm 200 lbs. too. Second was my gear of choice with stock gearing. The bike pulls it easily.

jeffb502
February 4th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I've noticed myself jerking around a bit at low speeds in 1st gear, looking like a n00b (I guess I still am a n00b but I'd rather not look like one when I can avoid it lol) ...glad to hear it's not just me.

I've been using 2nd gear for most of my slow speed maneuvering to minimize the jerkiness; I'll have to try starting from a stop in 2nd gear and see how that works for me (thanks for the suggestion old3).

I'll have to try that 15t front also. I noticed cruising at 80-85 (indicated) in L.A. it seemed to be revving a bit high...I actually checked a couple times just to make sure I was already in 6th gear heh.

csmith12
February 5th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I'll have to try that 15t front also. I noticed cruising at 80-85 (indicated) in L.A. it seemed to be revving a bit high...I actually checked a couple times just to make sure I was already in 6th gear heh.

Happens to everyone and don't let anyone tell you any different. lol

Sometimes in my helmet, I'm like...
http://i.imgur.com/GOvorqK.png

Xtina
February 10th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Also make sure there is no freeplay in the throttle cables as this can make it fairly jerky too. Adjustments can be made by tightening the screws where the cables meet the throttle body. Just make sure that the throttle still snaps back.