View Full Version : Battery Trouble

paterick4o8
April 4th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I've had my bike since March '08
For the last couple months, I've seemed to have a weak battery, to the point that my bike won't even start. I'm pretty sure it's just the battery because I am able to start it up if I give her a jump. I've thought about what would be causing such a fast drain. I do have an alarm installed however it's not sensitive enough that it goes off or gives a warning chirp unless someone where to give the bike a good slap or move it into riding position. It's gotten bad enough that over the past two weeks, if I don't ride it for even one day, I don't have enough power to start it up, so then I jump it or charge it overnight for the next day.

Any ideas or suggestions?

My alternative is I'm thinking of just seeing if the "Zurich extended warranty" I purchased from the douches I bought my bike from can just cover this and replace it.

kkim
April 4th, 2009, 11:16 PM
does your alarm system have a blinking warning LED when it's armed and if so, was the bike armed when you've noticed the weak battery condition?

paterick4o8
April 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM
No I don't have the warning LED installed.. I chose to not install it to avoid battery drain in the first place

Nemy
April 4th, 2009, 11:42 PM
When you actually start her up, though, do you go for a nice spirited jaunt to charge the battery? Or, even better, do you have a tender you can stick her on to fully juice her up? But if the alarm was the most recent install, you could try disconnecting it and see if it helps. Maybe it's faulty or wired up wrong somewhere.

paterick4o8
April 5th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the input Tim. Actually I've had the alarm for about 10 months, yet it's just the last couple months where the battery trouble started.
I do take her for some fairly spirited rides though; I try not to start it unless I'm going to get on and go somewhere of a decent distance.
I will check the wiring though, simple idea, yet I didn't think about that.. guess I just trusted that the wiring was ok

kkim
April 5th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Sometimes when a battery is allowed to get really low, it can be damaged and never recover fully from being run so low and will have problems after that holding a full charge. You might just need to get a new battery.

last question... do you have a multimeter and if so, what voltage does the battery read?

paterick4o8
April 5th, 2009, 02:16 AM
You know Kkim.. you may be right and this may be the case; when riding went out of season, I let it sit for spans of 2 weeks and the battery probably became really low. I also took a break from riding after I had low-sided and waited to get things fixed. I didn't disconnect the negative either while it was sitting.

I just checked the wiring, at least with my alarm to the battery, and made sure things were secure. Battery is fully charged right now so I'll see how it goes when I try starting her up again.

I don't have a multimeter :T

wyckedflesh
April 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
It is cheaper to replace a 1 year old battery that is giving you grief then it is to pay for towing.

Motorcycle batteries are generally speaking, good for 2 years of regular use. Less if they are allowed to drop voltage, or are hit with extreme heat or cold. I will be lucky to get 1 full year out of mine here in AZ. Having a battery tender wired into your bike and using it every time you park in the garage can help extend that life.