View Full Version : Speedo cable only works when it's warm??

Han Solo 1
February 5th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Last summer I noticed my speedo cable came loose from where it connects to the head/speedometer panel. I just screwed it back in and all was well, for a while.

Now I notice that on cold days, it won't work at all. The odometer and tach work just fine, but the speed doesn't. If it's a warm day, however, (60's or above), it will start working again and give me the speed. Usually it doesn't work in the morning (cold), but in the afternoon it does (warm).

What gives?

Also, is it okay to put locktite on the speedo cable to keep it in?

Motofool
February 5th, 2014, 07:28 PM
If the odometer is working, the cable is transmitting the rotation, as intended.

The speedometer works on electrical induction, which is not a solid linkage.
Being that way, it may not be able to overcome the viscosity of any grease in the mechanism.

Proper torque should be enough to keep that nut in place; I wouldn't use Loctite.

mgentz
February 6th, 2014, 06:03 AM
no loctite

Han Solo 1
February 6th, 2014, 07:47 AM
The speedometer works on electrical induction, which is not a solid linkage.
Being that way, it may not be able to overcome the viscosity of any grease in the mechanism.

So should I not lube the cable where it connects?

DaBlue1
February 6th, 2014, 08:00 AM
...The speedometer works on electrical induction, which is not a solid linkage.

Don't you mean the tach?

DaBlue1
February 6th, 2014, 08:03 AM

Pull out the inner cable and inspect it. Then lube it to see if it fixes the problem. If it does not, the issue may be the speedo gauge gearing itself.

Han Solo 1
February 6th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Pull out the inner cable and inspect it. Then lube it to see if it fixes the problem. If it does not, the issue may be the speedo gauge gearing itself.

Got it, thanks!

Motofool
February 6th, 2014, 08:32 PM

Yes, lube everywhere you can reach.
I was talking about the factory grease that goes inside the mechanism, where you cannot reach.

Don't you mean the tach?

No, I did mean the speedometer. :)

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-speedometer-works.html