View Full Version : Can you adjust preload without the kawi tool?

agentbad
February 6th, 2014, 07:24 AM
So I got a 300r shock recently to replace my pregen shock but it didn't come with the tool to adjust the preload. I've read of people just using a screw driver and hammer to gently hit the adjuster into the level you want but that seems a bit excessive.

csmith12
February 6th, 2014, 07:27 AM
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/post-bigazz.jpg

Removing the wheel gives you much more room to work.

agentbad
February 6th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Perfect thanks a bunch.

adouglas
February 6th, 2014, 08:13 AM
You'll also have a much easier time of it if you unload the rear suspension first.

Either put a jack under the rear shock linkage and get the back wheel off the ground, or hoist the back of the bike via the rear subframe/pegs/whatever.

Bob2010
February 6th, 2014, 08:18 AM
I was able to use the supplied tool to turn the setting once.
The next setting , I have either have no leverage or no clearance to move it again
It would be easier with the tire off I suppose but on the fly changes is what I was trying to do

old3
February 6th, 2014, 08:27 AM
It is easier to just pop the shock out of the bike.

JohnnyBravo
February 6th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Invest in a spanner wrench :thumbup:

csmith12
February 6th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I was able to use the supplied tool to turn the setting once.
The next setting , I have either have no leverage or no clearance to move it again
It would be easier with the tire off I suppose but on the fly changes is what I was trying to do

I had the same problem, try moving to the other side of the bike or get an extra person to help you push or pull. You can adjust it to all settings with the wheel/tire on the bike. Powahhhhh through it!

http://www.emoticons.gr/albums/uploads/glassy/muscle_boy.gif

Bob2010
February 6th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I had the same problem, try moving to the other side of the bike or get an extra person to help you push or pull. You can adjust it to all settings with the wheel/tire on the bike. Powahhhhh through it!

http://www.emoticons.gr/albums/uploads/glassy/muscle_boy.gif

:D yah I guess that could sound like I was being wimpy with the wrench but unless I was doing it wrong , I didn't see any room to allow it to move far enough to the next notch

I'll check it out again this spring when I bring the bikes home Maybe I was doing it wrong lol

ally99
February 6th, 2014, 04:11 PM
YESS! alex.s taught me you can use a flat head screwdriver (the longer the better) and a hammer and adjust the preload!

agentbad
February 6th, 2014, 05:49 PM
YESS! alex.s taught me you can use a flat head screwdriver (the longer the better) and a hammer and adjust the preload!

So just angle it between the teeth of the adjuster and hammer in the desired direction?

alex.s
February 7th, 2014, 08:41 AM
So just angle it between the teeth of the adjuster and hammer in the desired direction?

Pretty much

alex.s
February 7th, 2014, 08:42 AM
It's not gentle though. You gotta smash it pretty hard

Rogue
February 7th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Invest in a spanner wrench :thumbup:

+1 Not only do they make the job way easier, but they're not all that expensive.

cadd
September 2nd, 2014, 09:48 PM
I read the manual. Perhaps I missed it. But how do you know what setting you're supposed to set it to? For regular street riding, what do you guys set it to? I think the 2nd notch (see pic) is the default according to the manual???

Should we set the preload based on total weight of rider & gear? If so, is there a guideline for settings based on weight? Or do we set preload based on the type of riding we intend to do? Does one preload setting work better for aggressive (street) riding vs casual/cruising street riding?

InvisiBill
September 3rd, 2014, 07:45 AM
I read the manual. Perhaps I missed it. But how do you know what setting you're supposed to set it to? For regular street riding, what do you guys set it to? I think the 2nd notch (see pic) is the default according to the manual???

Should we set the preload based on total weight of rider & gear? If so, is there a guideline for settings based on weight? Or do we set preload based on the type of riding we intend to do? Does one preload setting work better for aggressive (street) riding vs casual/cruising street riding?

http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php?title=Setting_Suspension_Preload has a ton of info explaining how preload works and how to set it for proper sag.

Contrary to popular belief, preload has no effect on how much weight a spring can support (the spring's rate determines that). Changing preload changes the range in which the spring operates. Increasing preload to compensate for extra weight makes it feel stiffer (less squishy) because the spring compresses less when you hit a bump, but that's only because you've already compressed (pre-loaded) the spring some beforehand. However, the spring will compress down to the same total length over the same bump (because the spring rate and the force are the same) regardless of how much preload you have on the spring.

More sag allows for more suspension movement over bumps, but the extra movement will make it feel more squishy. On normal commuter duty, you'll probably want more sag. At the track, you may want less to get a tighter feel as opposed to worrying about comfort and huge potholes.

Flying
September 3rd, 2014, 08:23 AM
You will need to experiment. Jack the preload up to 5 and reduce the setting by 1 until you feel right, then bring it down one more to see if that setting feels better, if not bring it back up to your original number.
There is no magic setting, only general guidelines (loose on street, stiff on track and twisties, so and so inches of sag) and preferences. Suspension becomes a science when you are looking for that perfect sweet spot of firmness and shock absorption.

The stock setting is the lowest, 1. Whoops, this is the 300 tech forum. I don't know, go with your manual.

agentbad
September 3rd, 2014, 08:41 AM
I'm on position 4 right now and the bike stays nice and planted in turns but I may knock it down to 3 because I do a lot of commuting so I kind of need the best of both worlds. Once you switch over to a stiffer shock you can really feel how spongy the front suspension is.