View Full Version : Need your help finding cheap boots!

djpharoah
April 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hey gang - my last pair of boots that I bought for the MSF finally wore out. They were cheap boots from Walmart and they served their purpose (requirement for riding and MSF). I want to now get something better for ankle protection but I also want something that is great for all day walking.

My main criteria is price - as a student buying a pair of A*s isn't really practical as well thats grocery money. Also they should be comfy for walking. I've tried the SMX series and those full length boots your foot is like a cast which is great for protection horrible for walking.

So if you guys/gals can help me find a pair of boots at like $60-70 with adequate ankle protection for street riding be it used/ebay/blowout deals etc that would be awesome. Btw I am a size EU 46 or US 11.5.

I am constantly scanning for boots but it just gets nuts as prices are really high. I know I should invest more but right now I really cant and would rather get something vs. wearing basketball shoes.

Thanks

kkim
April 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM
At that price, I doubt you'll find anything decent, new... even at closeout prices.

sometimesido
April 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Just a little more and,

TCX SS (http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/tcx/ss_performance_2_racing_motorcycle_boots.html)

djpharoah
April 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I'm willing to go used Kelly. I mean worst case is I get another pair of steel toe work boots.

miks
April 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Just save a little longer, and get yourself a decent pair. Plenty of shoes that offer decent protection around $100-150 USD.

M-Oorb
April 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Just a question...why do they have to serve the walking function? IMO...a motorcycle boot is made to protect your feet and ankles while riding thus giving the boots a specific function. Once you try to get more general you need to give up something...as you usually can't have the best of both worlds and still be good at both activities. I would say save up(I know how hard that is being a college student as well) and get a decent pair of motorcycle boots that do what they are supposed to do and do it well. There are certain things to skim on but protection isn't one of them. Then keep a pair of shoes in a pack while you ride so you can just change. Just my 2 cents though

kkim
April 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM
have you seen this post?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=40656&postcount=56

djpharoah
April 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Just a question...why do they have to serve the walking function? IMO...a motorcycle boot is made to protect your feet and ankles while riding thus giving the boots a specific function. Once you try to get more general you need to give up something...as you usually can't have the best of both worlds and still be good at both activities. I would say save up(I know how hard that is being a college student as well) and get a decent pair of motorcycle boots that do what they are supposed to do and do it well. There are certain things to skim on but protection isn't one of them. Then keep a pair of shoes in a pack while you ride so you can just change. Just my 2 cents though
Well I ride to school and work daily and I'm basically on my feet the entire day. I guess a pair of insoles could help.

miks
April 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Bit off topic, but does anyone wear Icon boots?

Heard they were chunky and made it hard to fit your foot under the shifter.

djpharoah
April 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I'm currently looking at Icon too - interested in hearing about these.

Moo-wasaki
April 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I need a new pair...size 15

wyckedflesh
April 6th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Icon boots are made for the Stunt crowd and offer no ankle support.

Cali619
April 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM
For canyon/freeway rides I wear my Icon Super Duty 2 Boots (http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/super_duty_2_motorcycle_boots.html) but if just commuting around town or not planning to do any spirited riding just cruising Ill use my hiking boots.

CaliGirl
April 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Try these Vega Matrix Boots (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/66/ITEM/Vega-Matrix-Boots.aspx).....

chinasmurf
April 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Like CaliGirl said, Vega from motorcyclesuperstore.com. I got them and love em, airy, protected, good $ I think now even cheaper than when I bought mine. Maybe $65 now, and looks good. Yes I walk around in them from time to time and they are comfy.

sometimesido
April 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
it says, "Comfort-padded ankle"
does that mean the padding is only there for comfort or protection too?

chinasmurf
April 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM
You know what I'm not 100% sure but I think really for comfort. Cause when I had Alpine dirtbike boots it seems really protected. Its a good price for what it is....

muffinman
April 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I bought Icon Field Armor Chukka boots... should be in this week. I"ll post impressions when I get them. With my leg armor, chest armor, jacket, helmet, gloves, laptop, and textbooks I lug to class every day, I can't carry another pair of shoes.

Any "riding shoe" or riding boot is better than sneakers... someone said it best in that other thread when he/she felt as if they were tempting fate everytime they ride without proper footwear. I feel the exact same way.. but my current "race style" boots are way too stiff and uncomfortable to wear.

kkim
April 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I feel the exact same way.. but my current "race style" boots are way too stiff and uncomfortable to wear.

You should have looked at a full height touring type boot. There are other full boot options out there besides racing boots.

I have a touring boot and although it does not offer the same protection as a full racing boot, they are comfortable enough for me to wear all day at work under my street clothes. Walking around in them is no problem.

Ichiro
April 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Try these Vega Matrix Boots (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/66/ITEM/Vega-Matrix-Boots.aspx).....

I agree with CaliGirl. I've used them and while I've never had to test them in a crash, they feel solid, fairly good support, yet comfortable enough to walk in. Check around in Amazon.com though because I've seen them cheaper. I think I got mine for under $60.00. While I would agree with those who say spend more and buy the best, if your reality limits your ability to spend more, then these seem to be good for what you can spend.

sharky nrk
April 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM
just fyi - if anyone is a size 12 I have some used oxtars for sale in really good condition for cheap

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM
a size 12 would most likely fit him with some sole inserts in the boots, wouldn't it?

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM
$70, but you gotta have tiny feet.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/73/CITEM/Alpinestars-Ridge-Waterproof-Boots-Closeouts.aspx

azia
April 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm willing to go used Kelly. I mean worst case is I get another pair of steel toe work boots.

I thought you werent supposed to wear steel toe footwear for riding? The MSF classes here all disallow them for the course. And I have heard from other rides that they are dangerous but there seems to be debate over that.

Anyone?

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
You don't need steel toe boots. You're not driving a fork lift. It's the ankle protection that counts.

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
um, I know there is some debate in industrial environments, but never heard it being an issue for bikes. what is the argument that they dangerous?

g21-30
April 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
In my MSF class, steel toed boots were OK. The only concern was that one might not be able to "feel" the shifter engaging the gear. I didn't wear them and still had a problem engaging the the gears, while shifting. Of course, I don't have that problem anymore and have used steel toes and plain toes.

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Shifter "feel" is my #2 priority after protection, which is why I got A*s. Nothing worse than trying to ride with finesse wearing clunky boots.

g21-30
April 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
More boot options:

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Xelement-Biker-Boots/2/144.html

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Guys looks like I've decided to spend a bit more and get either a pair of Oxtar Evo RXs or Setup by Sidi Vision boots. Both boots are discontinued due to the renaming of the brand. Wish me luck! Cannot wait - I've been riding with sneakers the past 2 days and I hate the feeling of tempting fate. I feel so...squid like :D

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
good move :thumbup:

... do you have a wide or narrow foot?

have you seen these??? http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16855

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I have a normal sized foot - not too wide not too narrow I guess. Also I'm getting these boots at a cheaper price than the TCX ones Kelly - thanks man.

Will post soon as to which I decide upon - currently reading reviews.

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I have a normal sized foot - not too wide not too narrow I guess. Also I'm getting these boots at a cheaper price than the TCX ones Kelly - thanks man.

Will post soon as to which I decide upon - currently reading reviews.

well, give us a link.
Help us out.;)

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I tried those setup boots when I was shopping for boots and in my regular size, I couldn't even get my fat foot in there. Exchanged them for one size over my normal size and I still couldn't get my foot in. I gave up and bought some Oxtar boots and they fit perfect in my normal boot size.

GL... smart move to get some decent riding boots for foot protection. :thumbup:

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Will post the link once I decide - gotta make sure my size is there :D.

Kelly - I've heard Oxtars were some amazing boots - in line with Sidis, A*s etc... what you think?

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Yes, they are very well made and of high quality. Mine are made in Romania.

Beware... the Setups, even though they are SIDI, are made in the far east... China or Taiwan, IIRC.

BTW... Oxtar is now renamed TCX.... same boots, just a different name company.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah - decide to pull the trigger on the Oxtars for 2 reasons - much better ankle support and reviews, real leather and titanium sliders (track days) and they match my Teknic jacket. I also just found out about the Setups being made in Indonesia/Thailand etc.

Also I believe A*s sued Oxtar as their name/logo is very similar to A*s so they became TCX.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm more than likely going with the Oxtars due to them being a better brand+better/more features. However I do stay on campus quite a bit and am wondering how comfy it will be to walk in those boots.

Strider
April 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM
New Enough has the TCX on sale ...
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/tcx/ss_performance_2_racing_motorcycle_boots.html (I believe your size is still available)
Mind you , it's more than the amount you stated you want to spend djpharoah , but feet/ankle protection has to be taken very seriously ...

justmy2cents

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks Alan - Kelly already gave me the link. I'm passing on those to get an older discontinued model but a higher level one.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Update - after talking to the guy with the new Oxtars (he bought two pairs but got two sizes) I've decided to pass on them. He said they were a full race/track boot and walking in them would be hell beyond a certain point.

So I'm back onto the Setups or what about Icons? I mean at the $100 level how are those icons?

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Guys looks like I've decided to spend a bit more and get either a pair of Oxtar Evo RXs or Setup by Sidi Vision boots. Both boots are discontinued due to the renaming of the brand. Wish me luck! Cannot wait - I've been riding with sneakers the past 2 days and I hate the feeling of tempting fate. I feel so...squid like :D

You really ARE tempting fate too. Crash with sneakers and the road rash on your ankle will still be healing (and hurt like hell) long after the rest of you has recovered.

miks
April 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Thats what he said. Did you try the Oxtars on? Maybe you would have found them comfortable, and remember that most boots need to be broken in.

As for the Icon, I'm still intrigued, c'mon Icon owners - how are those shoes? :)

miks
April 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
You really ARE tempting fate too. Crash with sneakers and the road rash on your ankle will still be healing (and hurt like hell) long after the rest of you has recovered.

Also, crashing in sneakers theres a BIG chance that not only your ankle will suffer from road rash, but will be smashed up into a bajillion little pieces.

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Update - after talking to the guy with the new Oxtars (he bought two pairs but got two sizes) I've decided to pass on them. He said they were a full race/track boot and walking in them would be hell beyond a certain point.

what guy in which oxtars?

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Wayne - I'm wearing for the last couple of days a pair of old boots, figure its a smidge better than basketball sneaks.

Mike - haven't tried on the Oxtars - but I did try on a similar race boot (A*s SMX-5) at a cycle gear store. It was fairly stiff - dont know how much to compensate for the breaking in process.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM
what guy in which oxtars?

The Oxtars I was looking at was from a guy who bought 2 pairs of Size 44 when they were being closed out (Oxtar Evo RX) but got one Size 44 and one 46 (my size).

He said for a whole day of walking around it might be horrible and that I should get maybe lower end riding boots or commuter boots.

Those setups are looking pretty good right now..

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Also, crashing in sneakers theres a BIG chance that not only your ankle will suffer from road rash, but will be smashed up into a bajillion little pieces.

Well, I can think of a few guys who's ankles exploded even though they were wearing the best boots on the market, but it's at least FAR less likely you'll need pins and screws to hold it together with a good boot. :rolleyes:

miks
April 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Well, I can think of a few guys who's ankles exploded even though they were wearing the best boots on the market, but it's at least FAR less likely you'll need pins and screws to hold it together with a good boot. :rolleyes:

Oh my, exploding ankles even with high quality boots?! That must have been a crazy ass crash. Hope they're okay.

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Jeebus, where is that picture of a purple foot someone posted in another thread?

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Arggg - decisions decisions.

1) Oxtar Evo RX (full race boot)
2) Setup Vision (full race -but like a commuter)
3) Icons of some kind.

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
My vote is whatever choice that has better protection and Chuck Taylors folded and carried in a bag.

miks
April 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I've read many reviews on the net about Icon boots, many people say its too chunky and find it hard to fit under gear lever. Anyone care to help?

But, IMO they look good, like a casual shoe would look, and the protection on them looks half decent.

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Oh my, exploding ankles even with high quality boots?! That must have been a crazy ass crash. Hope they're okay.

I was thinking of JT over on KawiForums. he crashed at like 90mph last year with full gear and very expensive racing boots and is still recovering from numerous surgeries (including a lot of pins) to his ankle. He bought a new bike and is almost fully healed now, but it took all winter. There was another crash a few years ago where a guy with heavy protective street boots hit the curb feet first and actually tore one of his feet clean off. Good boots are undeniably a must for riding, but it all depends on your velocity and how you impact when you go down. The very best protective gear will not save you from ALL accidents and even if you're an ATGATT guy it bears keeping that in mind every time you ride.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
My vote is whatever choice that has better protection and Chuck Taylors folded and carried in a bag.
Thats what I'm thinking but then I've got even more weight weighing me down.

I think the Setups are probably the better compromise for me as they aren't fully armored so they are comfy but they have ankle armor which the icons' really dont.

.....i hate buying gear..

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Thats what I'm thinking but then I've got even more weight weighing me down.

I think the Setups are probably the better compromise for me as they aren't fully armored so they are comfy but they have ankle armor which the icons' really dont.

.....i hate buying gear..

backpack and a net in the back seat!

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
backpack and a net in the back seat!
Yeah not really feasible cuz I'm carrying quite a bit of books, a laptop etc. Don't think adding 20lbs of boots is gonna help.

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
i don't know about other boots mentioned, but the tcx ss weigh 710 grams (1 lb., 9-1/8 oz.) each.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
i don't know about other boots mentioned, but the tcx ss weigh 710 grams (1 lb., 9-1/8 oz.) each.

still dont think its really that feasible - im already carrying a helmet+gloves in one hand. Will decide in a bit.

miks
April 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Have you got a link to these Setup Vision boots, I did a quick Google search and they look awesome, but I don't know if its the same boot.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.setupaustralia.com/images/boots/VisionBlue_600.jpg
http://www.setupaustralia.com/images/boots/VisionBlack_600.jpg
http://www.setupaustralia.com/images/boots/VisionRed_600.jpg

Blue Ninja 250R
April 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Mesh, can't you just leave a pair of shoes at school and another at where you work? (I'm sure you have more then 2 pairs of shoes). by that you can buy whatever boots you like and don't need to wear them except riding. Just my :2cents::p

miks
April 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
The exact pair I saw on google, they look sweet. Pretty sure they would provide decent protection by the looks of them.

So if you do get these, what colour mate?

Just read a few reviews, they seem to be comfy and provide protection, but the down side is their ventilation.

Oh well, sweaty feet or broken feet? I'd have the sweaty feet please.

Just found out that Vision is Sidi's sister company, made under the same roof kind of thing. Thats always a plus.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Mesh, can't you just leave a pair of shoes at school and another at where you work? (I'm sure you have more then 2 pairs of shoes). by that you can buy whatever boots you like and don't need to wear them except riding. Just my :2cents::p
I'd like to but there are no lockers at university. Ideally that would be my plan but with no office/locker etc its too much of a hassle.
The exact pair I saw on google, they look sweet. Pretty sure they would provide decent protection by the looks of them.

So if you do get these, what colour mate?

Just read a few reviews, they seem to be comfy and provide protection, but the down side is their ventilation.

Oh well, sweaty feet or broken feet? I'd have the sweaty feet please.

Just found out that Vision is Sidi's sister company, made under the same roof kind of thing. Thats always a plus.
They were actually produced by Sidi in Romania to keep costs down. Setup was Sidi's budget/lower end line up. However due to the falling dollar they were axed - I'm sure it had something to do with people buying setups' instead of Sidis.

I'd get the blue ones as they match my gear.

miks
April 7th, 2009, 08:02 PM
So have you decided? And where are you going to purchase these from?

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Mike - most likely going with the blue Setups. I think they'd be perfect for my type of riding which is 95% commuting to work+school and 5% joy riding in the hills.

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
They were actually produced by Sidi in Romania to keep costs down. Setup was Sidi's budget/lower end line up. However due to the falling dollar they were axed - I'm sure it had something to do with people buying setups' instead of Sidis.

did you see me post earlier setups are made in the far east? that's how they kept the cost down.

miks
April 7th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Well in that case, get off the computer and go buy them :p. Just found out that they were not available from NewEnough. Must be quite hard to find a pair.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 08:33 PM
did you see me post earlier setups are made in the far east? that's how they kept the cost down.

Yeah I saw that - but have heard otherwise too. I mean honestly for the price range I'm talking whats not made in the far east :D

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah I saw that - but have heard otherwise too. I mean honestly for the price range I'm talking whats not made in the far east :D

the tags on my setups told me they were made in the far east. not knocking anything about those countries... just trying to keep people who read this thread from thinking they are going to get a European SIDI boot at that price if they purchase the setups.

I think you've found your boot... what are you waiting for? :thumbup:

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I think you've found your boot... what are you waiting for? :thumbup:
Paycheck to clear tonight :D

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
How can anyone knock Far East footwear manufacturing? I mean isn't that where Nikes and most quality running shoes are made? And if you're thinking of buying Sidi, I believe they are made from European lasts that are typically more narrow than American lasts. That means they fit narrower feet and if yours is wide fit may be a problem. I wouldn't buy a pair of European-made boots without trying on a similar pair at a local bike shop first.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I'd love to try them out - thing is only stuff carried out here in the stores are the top of the line Sidis and A*s. At this price I guess its a gamble. One thing I did get is my EU shoe size.

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM
who's knocking far east footwear manufacturing? was that directed at me?

and boot companies are not like shoe companies which offer a range of widths in the same sizes, but there are certain manufactures that start with a wider foot pattern than others, european or not. SIDI are noted to fit narrower feet. Oxtar=TCX are also made in Europe and use a wide foot pattern. A* typically lay somewhere between the two.

European or far east... you need to know what companies offers what and buy accordingly in stead of bunching them all together. If you buy online, search out a firm that will exchange goods w/o a lot of hassle.... that's why I highly recommend newenough, again and again.

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I'd love to try them out - thing is only stuff carried out here in the stores are the top of the line Sidis and A*s. At this price I guess its a gamble. One thing I did get is my EU shoe size.

it doesn't need to be a gamble. do you even know your shoe size and width? if the store has SIDIs go try them on and see how they compare to the A* you tried earlier. The SIDIs should be similar to the setups in terms of width.

djpharoah
April 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM
it doesn't need to be a gamble. do you even know your shoe size and width? if the store has SIDIs go try them on and see how they compare to the A* you tried earlier. The SIDIs should be similar to the setups in terms of width.
They had like 1 pair of Sidis which were a size 8 or something. Not really the best in terms of boot selection.

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
who's knocking far east footwear manufacturing? was that directed at me?

C'mon Kelly. You know by now that I'd never "direct" anything your way that wasn't a compliment. If anything, I was reinterating what you said and giving my reasons for it. Things have gotten a lot better lately, but it used to be that if you bought any Italian boot you'd better have skinny feet. Now that boots are made all over the place it's less common, but I'd still want to try on any boot before I'd order it online. And the Euro/US sizing thing is still a big PITA. Half the time the conversion charts on gear websites aren't even close!

kkim
April 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
yeah, with MC boots it is a real PITA trying to figure out what will fit and what won't. It makes it a bit easier that the companies make their widths based on what they feel their market is. I was just trying to pass on what little I know about boot companies based on what experience I've had recently with street bike boots.

I agree with you, though, that trying them on is the best thing to do, but for many, that option just doesn't exist... at least not for me.

Based on what I think I've learned about boot companies and my feet, I have two pairs of TCX boots on their way from newenough. :D

You can be sure if I need to modify my ideas based on what I learn from them, I will be sure to let the forum know. :)

TrueFaith
April 8th, 2009, 04:54 AM
yeah, with MC boots it is a real PITA trying to figure out what will fit and what won't. It makes it a bit easier that the companies make their widths based on what they feel their market is. I was just trying to pass on what little I know about boot companies based on what experience I've had recently with street bike boots.

I agree with you, though, that trying them on is the best thing to do, but for many, that option just doesn't exist... at least not for me.

Based on what I think I've learned about boot companies and my feet, I have two pairs of TCX boots on their way from newenough. :D

You can be sure if I need to modify my ideas based on what I learn from them, I will be sure to let the forum know. :)

I find that the "reviews" of products by buyers that most web sellers have are an invaluable tool when buying online. Many times I will think I've figured out the correct Euro/US size conversion for me from the charts, only to find I'm totally wrong when I read comments from past buyers. Comments like "I recommend buying one size smaller/larger than you normally would" or "this product runs big/small" are where you really nail down the correct size. Nothing beats trying something on first, but if you really do your reasearch on a product you're less likely to be dissapointed when they arrive in the mail. It's also a priority to insure the seller has a liberal return policy. Otherwise, you'll be :banghead:

miks
April 8th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Paycheck to clear tonight :D

Remember to do a little review when you get them, and post pictures :)

djpharoah
April 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/hot+deals+-+off+road/axo_slammer+boots

What about these?

CaliGirl
April 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/hot+deals+-+off+road/axo_slammer+boots

What about these?

I think those are MX off road boots. Maybe not such a good idea for street riding.

For the same price, look at these Alpinestars (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/73/CITEM/Alpinestars-Ridge-Waterproof-Boots-Closeouts.aspx) :thumbup:

sometimesido
April 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I think those are MX off road boots. Maybe not such a good idea for street riding.

For the same price, look at these Alpinestars (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/73/CITEM/Alpinestars-Ridge-Waterproof-Boots-Closeouts.aspx) :thumbup:

size 6 and 6.5?
:D

muffinman
April 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I've read many reviews on the net about Icon boots, many people say its too chunky and find it hard to fit under gear lever. Anyone care to help?

But, IMO they look good, like a casual shoe would look, and the protection on them looks half decent.

My Icon Chukka boots are coming in tomm. I'll post impressions and compare them with my "race-style" boots

miks
April 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Is it possible for a street rider to wear MX boots?

djpharoah
April 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I'm still holding off on the boots - I really want to get them locally but then I have to spend some more money for the A*s which in the end might be what I get. This weekend is all about the boots.

miks
April 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
So no more Setup Visions? What happened.

djpharoah
April 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
So no more Setup Visions? What happened.
Well the place that has them says they are on closeouts which means no returns/refunds. Everyone says Sidis run narrower - so I'm not going to take that risk.

g21-30
April 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Well the place that has them says they are on closeouts which means no returns/refunds. Everyone says Sidis run narrower - so I'm not going to take that risk.

Check out www.derbycycles.com The Oxtars are wider than the Sidi. You can exchange (you pay shipping both directions) or return for 15% charge. Even exchanging mine, I saved $3 over newenough.com.

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I think he's trying to spend less than $100.

muffinman
April 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Woohoo, got my Icon Chukkas in today... I wear a size Men's 7-8 and have no issues with the shifter on my 250. Very, very happy with my purchase.. completely covers the ankle and is well padded. Ventilates extremely well and looks awesome. I'll post more in detail later.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm selling a pair of Men's Joe Rocket Super Street boots in the classifieds... like new, bought for $160, selling for $125 or best offer.

miks
April 9th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Will be looking forward to an in-depth review on the Chukkas Arthur. What colour did you get?

muffinman
April 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Will be looking forward to an in-depth review on the Chukkas Arthur. What colour did you get?

I got the black ones - I posted the review on Ninjette w/ pics... still loving them.

Let me know if you have any questions

Jacksmeow
April 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
My Icon Chukka boots are coming in tomm. I'll post impressions and compare them with my "race-style" boots

I bought those as a backup pair...I had to get them STRETCHED at the shoemaker. No problems with the gear shifter. I got mine on sale for $20 on-line, so I thought I couldn't go wrong.

miks
April 10th, 2009, 11:48 PM
$20? That must have been one heck of a sale. I'm assuming they only had small sizes, so you have to stretch them :) haha.