View Full Version : Not starting easily in the morning. . .

Han Solo 1
February 11th, 2014, 08:50 AM
So I let my bike sit from mid October to end of December, and I've been riding it a few times here and there since January 1 when the weather's been good.

But one thing I’ve noticed, which is very annoying, is that if I go more than a day or two without riding it, it’s hard to start it up in the morning.

I will put the choke all the way open, turn the key (the battery is fully charged), press the ignition, and I just get a noise like a loud fast clicking. I have to twist the throttle a bunch of times, try again, get the click, twist the throttle again, try again, get the click, and then finally it will START to turn over, then go to the clicks again, and so on and so forth. I have to sit there, twisting the throttle and then hitting the ignition, for like 5 minutes before it will start. After a few minutes of warming up, the bike is fine.

It will start just fine (with some choke) in the afternoon when it’s time to go home. I don’t get it.

Any thoughts? :confused:

jkv45
February 11th, 2014, 09:01 AM
First thought would be the battery. Read the voltage with it sitting before trying to start - it should be around 12.6 if it's fully charged.

Then read the voltage when you hit the starter. That should still be around 12V. It's possible a battery can hold 12.6V standing but not provide adequate cranking voltage - you need to check both.

Other issues could be poor connections at the battery or starter or a problem with the starter itself.

Twisting the throttle should have no effect on the issue.

EDIT: I don't think it will cure the issue (unless you are running 20W-50 - which you shouldn't), but using a 5W-40 synthetic oil will help increase the cranking speed on cold starts over regular 10W-40, plus it's a lot better for your engine in cold starts.

Han Solo 1
February 11th, 2014, 09:09 AM
First thought would be the battery. Read the voltage with it sitting before trying to start - it should be around 12.6 if it's fully charged.

Then read the voltage when you hit the starter. That should still be around 12V. It's possible a battery can hold 12.6V standing but not provide adequate cranking voltage - you need to check both.

Other issues could be poor connections at the battery or starter or a problem with the starter itself.

Twisting the throttle should have no effect on the issue.

Thanks for the tip. I just read a ninjette wiki article on different kinds of battery chargers, but I'm not clear on the whole concept. Do I have to take out the battery to charge it when I want to, or is there a way I can just plug in without having to take off the seat/fairings and battery?

Yarhj
February 11th, 2014, 09:14 AM
The fact that you just get a clicking sound when you first try to start it (rather than the engine cranking) indicates that either your battery isn't putting out enough power to turn the starter motor, or that something's wrong with the starter itself.

My guess is that your battery is on its last legs and isn't charging fully. It starts easier in the afternoon than the morning since the bike is warmer, and warm batteries have a higher effective state of charge (and can provide more cold cranking amps (CCA) than colder batteries (http://www.pacificpowerbatteries.com/aboutbatts/car%20battery%20faq/carfaq7.html)). As you keep trying to start the engine, the battery may warm up to the point that it can actually provide enough power to get the starter motor going, and then you're off to the races.

To diagnose your battery, get out your multimeter and follow these directions (http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_tell_if_your_battery_is_dead). Bonus points if you measure the resting and cranking voltage of the battery both a) in the morning, when it's having trouble starting, and b) in the afternoon, when it starts with no problem.

If it keeps giving you trouble, you could also consider getting a higher capacity battery rated to deliver more CCA, which shouldn't be as susceptible to cold weather.

For reference, here's a nice plot of effective battery capacity vs. temperature (from the first link above)
http://www.pacificpowerbatteries.com/aboutbatts/car%20battery%20faq/concap.gif

jkv45
February 11th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the tip. I just read a ninjette wiki article on different kinds of battery chargers, but I'm not clear on the whole concept. Do I have to take out the battery to charge it when I want to, or is there a way I can just plug in without having to take off the seat/fairings and battery?
Some cycle chargers come with 2 sets of leads - one with clamps and the other with eyelets. You can attach the eyelets to the battery terminals and route the wires to an easy place to connect to if the battery isn't easily accessible.

I have the connector hidden under one of the side covers on my SV because the battery is under the seat, which is bolted in 2 places. Much easier than trying to get to the battery to hook it up.

Han Solo 1
February 11th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Wow, that graph is awesome, thanks!

This battery was brand new when I put it in last summer. Would it really get killed that easily by sitting for 2 cold months?

Han Solo 1
February 11th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Some cycle chargers come with 2 sets of leads - one with clamps and the other with eyelets. You can attach the eyelets to the battery terminals and route the wires to an easy place to connect to if the battery isn't easily accessible.

I have the connector hidden under one of the side covers on my SV because the battery is under the seat, which is bolted in 2 places. Much easier than trying to get to the battery to hook it up.

Thanks for the tip! :)

jkv45
February 11th, 2014, 09:30 AM

This battery was brand new when I put it in last summer. Would it really get killed that easily by sitting for 2 cold months?
It could. Batteries are unpredictable.

You need to load-test it to be sure it's not the problem.

Yarhj
February 11th, 2014, 09:32 AM

It could just be that the battery slowly discharged over the winter (and especially from all the cranking/attempted cranking to start it in the mornings), and needs to be recharged. I've had good luck with the Battery Tender Junior (http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S) for recharging tired batteries. I always take my battery off to charge it (it takes like 5 minutes -- I spend more time fumbling with my bike cover on a windy day), but as jkv45 said, you could hook up the quick connectors to avoid having to take the battery out.

EsrTek
February 11th, 2014, 09:32 AM

Yes it can, a Battery Tender Jr will recharge it within a few hours, and is good to have for winter storage.

Han Solo 1
February 11th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Yes it can, a Battery Tender Jr will recharge it within a few hours, and is good to have for winter storage.

Would this be the right one to get?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

EsrTek
February 11th, 2014, 12:46 PM
yep

Han Solo 1
February 11th, 2014, 01:16 PM
yep

Great, thanks. Just ordered!