View Full Version : Sophie Tucker - Survivor Dog

BlueTyke
April 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Yahoo Link here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090406/od_afp/australiaanimaldogoffbeat)

SYDNEY (AFP) – A pet dog that fell overboard in rough seas off Australia has been reunited with its owners after surviving alone on an island for four months, reports said.

Sophie Tucker, apparently named after a late US entertainer, fell overboard as Jan Griffith and her family sailed through choppy waters off the northeast Queensland coast in November.

The dog was believed to have drowned and Griffith said the family was devastated.

But out of sight of the family, Sophie Tucker was swimming doggedly and finally made it to St Bees Island, five nautical miles away, and began the sort of life popularised by the TV reality show "Survivor."

She was returned to her family last week when Griffith contacted rangers who had captured a dog that had been living off feral goats on the largely uninhabited island, in the faint hope it might be their long-lost pet.

When the Griffiths met the rangers' boat bringing the dog to the mainland they found that it was indeed Sophie Tucker on board.

"We called the dog and she started whimpering and banging the cage and they let her out and she just about flattened us," Griffith told the national AAP news agency.

"She wriggled around like a mad thing."

Griffith said that when the dog was first spotted on the island she had been in poor condition.

"And then all of a sudden she started to look good and it was when the rangers had found baby goat carcasses so she'd started eating baby goats," she said.

Sophie Tucker, a member of the Australian cattle dog breed, had been quick to readjust to the comforts of home, complete with airconditioning, Griffiths said.

"She surprised us all. She was a house dog and look what she's done, she's swum over five nautical miles, she's managed to live off the land all on her own," Griffiths said.

"We wish she could talk, we truly do."

talldrink
April 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Nothing better than a story with a happy ending!!!!! :thumbup:

kkim
April 6th, 2009, 01:45 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20090406/capt.photo_1239006044726-1-0.jpg?

Alex
April 6th, 2009, 02:11 PM
:happy80: for survivor dog. I guess when it comes down to it, it sucks to be a baby goat. :)

Snake
April 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
That was quite a story. The moral of the story might be: Never lose hope and never give up.

P1NDLESK1N
April 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hope that family doesn't also have a baby goat as a pet. :lol:

kkim
April 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
"The dingoes ate my baby."

00v_Lucky
April 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I could do that. :)

miks
April 6th, 2009, 10:51 PM
"The dingoes ate my baby."

:mad:

I'll eat you in a moment!

TnNinjaGirl
April 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Oh lord, there's lots of animal and human brutality in this thread.

It's strange to think that fido lying at the foot of your bed still has the most basic of animal traits, survival. It's also amazing what one will do to achieve that goal.

miks
April 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM
You never know, this might inspire the makers of 'Survivor' to make one for dogs.

TnNinjaGirl
April 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
PETA would have a field day.

islanderman7
April 6th, 2009, 11:14 PM
PETA would have a field day.

Over the dead baby goats.

Wade
April 7th, 2009, 01:01 AM
You didnt know we were tough down here on Aus? Even our pets.

miks
April 7th, 2009, 03:34 AM
You didnt know we were tough down here on Aus? Even our pets.

Here here! :thumbup: