View Full Version : Area P - Quiet Module - D.E.I.

kbryant
April 6th, 2009, 02:39 PM
We've had requests from those who have purchased the Standard Muffler and are looking to quiet it down without the additional expense of having to purchase the Long Quiet Muffler.

Attached are pictures of our "D.E.I." (Dual Element Insert) which debuts on this forum. We designed a first generation of this sound attenuator many years ago for a company called Jardine (it was called QMI or Quiet Module Insert). The D.E.I is a brand new product and far superior. It consists of a 304 series stainless steel "Nozzle", and a 6061 billet cnc aluminum "Module" insert with high temp O-Ring.

Essentially, it installs/inserts into your turn down exit tip and is secured by a single screw. You simply drill a hole in the tip and install the DEI. It comes with detailed instructions and is very easy to install.

It can be used as simply the "Nozzle" by itself. Or for further attenuation of sound, both the Nozzle and Billet module together. It will reduce decibel levels by 6 - 8 dbA. You can remove it completely also, as the small 5.5mm hole that you drill in the tip will not affect anything and puts the power/sound right back where you started. Although it will reduce the sound level, it will also reduce the power level that you gained.

It will not be nearly as quiet and/or perform as well as the Long Quiet Core Muffler. But for those people looking to reduce the sound level of their Standard muffler, this is a less costly solution.

Intro price is $39.95. Shipping cost is $6.00. It comes in a small box and is shipped by Priority Mail. We do not have specific test data on it for the 250R (we've tested this unit on a wide array of other models from Offroad to large displacment sportbikes). If someone would like to drop their bike off at our facility, we will install one at no charge to document specific test results.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9da20b3127ccec697b3bd739e00000040O00AbMmLRw5ct2IPbz4S/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9da20b3127ccec697af9ef28300000040O00AbMmLRw5ct2IPbz4S/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9da20b3127ccec6967686922300000040O00AbMmLRw5ct2IPbz4S/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

kkim
April 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
would this work on the quiet core mufflers as well?

kbryant
April 6th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Sure would Kelly. It should have the same basic affect. I just don't know what the "performance" results would be on the Long Quiet Muffler. How about I send you one for "R&D" purposes (no charge) and you tell me what you think?

kkim
April 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Damn, Kerry... that would be awesome! :D

Though I have no access to a mechanical dyno to prove my findings, I'll start tuning up the ole butt dyno right away!!

mahalo, sir!
:yo:

woohoooo!! :dance:

CaliGirl
April 6th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I would love to leave you my bike for testing.....I think I need to get an actual AP exhaust first :o

stroked59
April 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM
one up for kelly:thumbup:

kkim
April 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
So, Kerry... for clarification, besides sending me one for evaluation (thank you, thank you, thank you :D), are you still looking for someone in your area to bring their bike with a standard AP system in for testing and documentation?

If so, someone should jump on this!! :)

kbryant
April 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Damn, Kerry... that would be awesome! :D

Though I have no access to a mechanical dyno to prove my findings, I'll start tuning up the ole butt dyno right away!!

mahalo, sir!
:yo:

woohoooo!! :dance:

I'll mail you one tomorrow. The Dyno is simply one tool we use. It's always important (sometimes even more important) to use "the ole butt dyno" whenever possible. If you can't feel it, sense it, listen to it, it really doesn't matter what the Dyno says. Should be the same jetting with the Nozzle only. Will run richer with the billet insert installed.

kbryant
April 6th, 2009, 05:09 PM
So, Kerry... for clarification, besides sending me one for evaluation (thank you, thank you, thank you :D), are you still looking for someone in your area to bring their bike with a standard AP system in for testing and documentation?

If so, someone should jump on this!! :)

Yes. Leave it with us for a day or two. That way we can test and gather data on the Dyno and Sound Meter as well.

Jiu Jitsu Player
If I was back in so-cal I would be all over this!!! (probably help if I had an area-p, but still!)

kbryant
I would love to leave you my bike for testing.....I think I need to get an actual AP exhaust first :o

Well we can sure help you with that if you like :D

kkim
April 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Last question... I promise... well, not really. :D

this was implied, but not stated in your first post... this module will work in the mufflers for both generations of 250s, is that correct?

Snake
April 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Kerry,
Can the silencer be used with the flat end muffler as well?

I don't have an Area P on my bike yet but hope to get one as soon as it comes out for the 07 & older bikes.

kbryant
April 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Last question... I promise... well, not really. :D

this was implied, but not stated in your first post... this module will work in the mufflers for both generations of 250s, is that correct?

Yes, implied and stated. ;) Fits all.

kbryant
April 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Kerry,
Can the silencer be used with the flat end muffler as well?

I don't have an Area P on my bike yet but hope to get one as soon as it comes out for the 07 & older bikes.

Nope. Only works with the Turn Down Exit Tips.

TrueFaith
April 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
You say it "should be the same jetting" with the nozzle only, but will run rich with both pieces installed. Do you have data on the difference in decible reduction using just the nozzle compared to using both the nozzle and billet? I have no intention of messing with my Area-P non-quiet core, since I love the exhaust sound as it is and don't consider it too loud compared to some of the bikes that blast by my house every day. Just curious.

kbryant
April 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM
You say it "should be the same jetting" with the nozzle only, but will run rich with both pieces installed. Do you have data on the difference in decible reduction using just the nozzle compared to using both the nozzle and billet? I have no intention of messing with my Area-P non-quiet core, since I love the exhaust sound as it is and don't consider it too loud compared to some of the bikes that blast by my house every day. Just curious.

On other bikes we've tested, it is normally 2 dbA with the Nozzle only and another 5 - 6 dbA reduction with both the Nozzle and Billet Module installed. Total reduction is normally 6 - 8 dbA. In this case, the Billet Module causes the rich condition as it restricts exhaust flow to attenuate sound.

camaroz1985
April 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Dang I was perfectly satisfied with keeping the stock exhaust because it was quiet. Now this and the quiet core are looking very very tempting. Why did you have to post this? :)

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 04:01 PM
On other bikes we've tested, it is normally 2 dbA with the Nozzle only and another 5 - 6 dbA reduction with both the Nozzle and Billet Module installed. Total reduction is normally 6 - 8 dbA. In this case, the Billet Module causes the rich condition as it restricts exhaust flow to attenuate sound.

Thanks for the info, Kerry. After owning the Standard Area-P I wouldn't give up that beautiful exhaust sound for anything. I don't know why everyone thinks it's so loud. I can throttle down while cruising through town and nobody even raises an eyebrow, but open her up on the back roads around here and it's like having a "monster in your pocket". Lots of really loud Harleys out my way and most of the time people are too busy bitching about them to even notice me. Mad reps to you for manufacturing the best-sounding pipe on the planet. :thumbup:

VeX
April 9th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Oh! Oh! When are you planning this test? I live in San Diego, but could drop my bike off and hitch a ride back down to San Diego (I have a friend that goes down from Pasadena to San Diego every other week). I would be down for it as I am one of those that is annoyed by the incredibly LOUDNESS of the standard core muffler (Trying to casually ride through city streets at 5am is... Noisy).

kkim
April 9th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Vex... great idea!!:D

PM Kerry right away to get dibs on this if he's still looking.

gl, man! :thumbup:

Blue Ninja 250R
April 9th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Wonder will Kerry send me a full AP together with DEI for test too......:D:D:D
Say that you will Kerry, PLEASE.........:bow::bow::bow::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

kbryant
April 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Oh! Oh! When are you planning this test?

Basically whenever someone wants to drop their bike off at our facility for a few days.

kkim
April 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Basically whenever someone wants to drop their bike off at our facility for a few days.

Go, Vex, Go!! :ride:

Blue Ninja 250R
April 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Go, Vex, Go!! :ride:

Yes! Vex. Make sure you're there before me......:boink:

miks
April 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
$50 on Vex! :)

1hardryder4life
April 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM
very interesting design. Ima order one of these.

08_250R
April 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Kerry,

What are the odds on a new quiet end plate? something like this, sorry for the poor photoshop, but you get the point.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/lingski/pipequiet.jpg

kbryant
April 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Kerry,

What are the odds on a new quiet end plate? something like this, sorry for the poor photoshop, but you get the point.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/lingski/pipequiet.jpg

Very creative. I do get the point.

Without getting too much into the engineering & design aspects and to make a long response short - you have the Billet portion of the module mounted backwards. The flow dynamic is designed for the taper to be in the inlet side. The D.E.I. is designed specifically for the turn down tip and merge from the core to the exit tip. The primary goal was to make a complex engineering component, into a simple, affordable, modular unit with multiple levels of adjustment.

kkim
April 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Kerry,

Is it be possible for one to "tune" that billet piece by drilling the holes out to a bit larger diameters if you didn't mind a little more sound and wanted a little less restriction? :)

08_250R
April 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Very creative. I do get the point.

you have the Billet portion of the module mounted backwards.

I understand what you are saying and I figured as much because the drilled holes look like a velocity stack. As I said, you get the point, I understand it may be a pain, but a new end plate would be nice.

Thanks

kbryant
April 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Kerry,

Is it be possible for one to "tune" that billet piece by drilling the holes out to a bit larger diameters if you didn't mind a little more sound and wanted a little less restriction? :)

Yes absolutely! We have 8 other versions of these for different displacement applications, core diameters, turn down tip diameters, etc.. Primarily the difference is indeed with the outer holes and inner main primary hole. We have others with different degrees of taper. We even have some where leaving the CNC burr(s) around the outer holes (gatlins if you will), helps with the reversion affect. By all means, experiment away! Since you are being somewhat "sponsered" on this project, we can always send you another one if you go too far and/or want to go back to the way it was. :thumbup:

kkim
April 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Kerry,

Thanks for the encouragement to experiment. Once I get it installed, I'll be able to tell how I want to play with it, if at all.

The thought came from modifying my dirt bike stock muffler. Removing the stock baffle yielded an exhaust that was too loud for my taste and reinserting the baffle proved too much of a restriction and "choked" the bike. The solution was to drill some additional holes in the baffle to reduce the back pressure and end up with a bit freer flowing stock exhaust, but not too loud for my tastes. I admit the jetting needed to be tweaked a bit more than what the normal solutions called for, but the result has yielded a bike with increased power over stock w/o the annoying, neighbor disturbing sound level an uncapped exhaust brings.

I hope I can come to the same sort of solution using the end cap you've provided. I really like the quiet core muffler, but at times wish it was a tad quieter. (I'm sure it's age related :D) The end cap will hopefully allow me to tune the sound vs power level to perfection for me.

mahalo for "sponsoring" me the parts to experiment.
:)

On an unrelated note, I know I'm only one of your many, many customers, but if I can ever be of help to you on a professional or non professional level, please do not hesitate to ask.

1hardryder4life
April 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Ordered my kit last friday, part arrived the next day on saturday. thats what im talking about! should have it installed tomorrow to give it a test and report back.

1hardryder4life
April 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Curious to know if you got yours and tried it out yet, Kelly?

kkim
April 15th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Curious to know if you got yours and tried it out yet, Kelly?

Yes, I did get mine (thank you, Kerry), but have been busy with work (imagine that) and have not been able to install and test. Looking forward to your impressions. :)

t-rav_12
July 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM
...well, Kkim?... After 3 yrs of testing?
(talk @ reviving a thread)

cuong-nutz
July 15th, 2012, 11:08 AM
...well, Kkim?... After 3 yrs of testing?
(talk @ reviving a thread)

KKim is no longer around but I recall someone else installing the DEI and saw reduction of a few DBs.