View Full Version : My only key is damaged and is hard to turn

Floki
February 14th, 2014, 10:37 AM
What are my options now? Am I going to have to order a new ignition? You can see the Brass colored material underneath the silver coating.

csmith12
February 14th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Locksmith brah, a good one can create a key from just the code.

Redgeneral
February 14th, 2014, 10:46 AM
What are my options now? Am I going to have to order a new ignition? You can see the Brass colored material underneath the silver coating.

Why not have another key made? Any locksmith worth his salt can duplicate the key.

Floki
February 14th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I need to buy a blank from a dealer and bring it to a smith? They all told me they don't do motorcycle keys...Or maybe they just don't sell the blanks.

Floki
February 14th, 2014, 10:53 AM
All the locksmiths are telling me they don't make copies of motorcycle keys!!!!

csmith12
February 14th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Interesting, must be area specific. High bike theft rate in your area?

Alex
February 14th, 2014, 11:17 AM
You can have a new key made directly from the keycode, stamped on the left hand side of the headstock.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97727

Sirref
February 14th, 2014, 11:17 AM
That's odd, I've never had that problem with my locksmith. Then again my locksmith is a family friend who knows that I'm not the type to be stealing a bike.

I'd try showing the locksmith the key and some proof that you actually own the bike that the key belongs to. At that point get like 3-4. Not having a backup key is never a good idea, for this exact reason. It's also preferable to never use your original key and always use copies that can be remade from the original. A copy of a copy is far worse than a copy of an original.

Floki
February 14th, 2014, 11:34 AM
No one stocks the specific blank to make a copy. The one lady who had a motorcycle book with the ninja 250 2008, had the wrong key or something.
Ordering from a stealership 30 miles away woohoo. Located in Hammond Louisiana. It's a college town but surrounded by plenty of big cities

Sirref
February 14th, 2014, 11:36 AM
ah, a college town would likely have more thefts than average. That or I've been going to the wrong college this whole time.

Good luck with that, and make sure to get a spare while you're at it!

Floki
February 14th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Is part 27008 what I need?

Aggrotech
February 14th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'm havin the same issue. Bought a key online, called 7-8places and they've all told me they do not do motorcycle keys.

Floki
February 14th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I'm havin the same issue. Bought a key online, called 7-8places and they've all told me they do not do motorcycle keys.

Found a place that said they could order it from a distributor.... They didn't need my key code though so I don't think it's the right key

tfkrocks
February 14th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Found a place that said they could order it from a distributor.... They didn't need my key code though so I don't think it's the right key

Key code is just to cut your specific key; the key code isn't needed to order a blank. A competent locksmith can cut a key from your ignition alone though.

Brian
February 14th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I tried 3-4 places around my area and all of them couldn't do Motorcycle keys. I went to some neighborhood hardware shop and they did it for me but the keys came out not fitting at all. :confused: Idk what it is with Motorcycle keys.

My advice is order them straight through Kawasaki, like I did recently although it's $25 per key.

tfkrocks
February 14th, 2014, 01:43 PM
If you don't care about having a specific Kawasaki key, this might be of use to you:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/EX250F_key_blanks

The locksmith I went to had the proper key blank. I paid all of ~$30 for 2 new original keys cut directly from the ignition and 2 copies. Screw buying an expensive key blank from Kawasaki.

Redgeneral
February 14th, 2014, 01:52 PM
When I had my 250 I had 3 spares cut. The locksmith was able to use a blank that they had in inventory. It was some kind of Nissan key blank, they had to grind the head of the key back a bit, but it worked flawlessly.

I could see their apprehension regarding bike theft. Just go in with the bike and your paperwork, show that the bike is actually yours.

alex.s
February 14th, 2014, 02:20 PM
wd40

spray some in the ignition hole, then coat key in it, key-**** the ignition for 10 minutes.

Sirref
February 14th, 2014, 03:13 PM
wd40

spray some in the ignition hole, then coat key in it, key-**** the ignition for 10 minutes.

I may actually do this with mine, it's been sticking with the cold and has been hard to pull out after some rides. :mad:

Floki
February 14th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I've called four kawasaki dealers. One told me they don't do keys. The other three sent me to key shops. Two sent me to the same shop. One shop told me to bring the bike in to test for keys (1.5 hours away). The other, which is the one I went to, did the same thing and ordered me blanks which are on back order for who knows how long. They were able to fix the bend in my key and it works great now

allanoue
February 14th, 2014, 04:55 PM
when my 500 key was starting to give me problem I took the key to a locksmith, they cut me a new key from the mangled old key. It worked way better then the old.

Skullz
February 14th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Never use WD40 on locks, it is best to use a lock lubricant than anything else as it can freeze in the cold from still having some moister in it.
Use (Lock Ease) from the hardware store or get the napa brand of lock ease, best thing you can possibly use on your locks in either summer or winter.