View Full Version : Are the downpipes on this generation stainless?

RBN
February 16th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Got the chance to buy a 2 into 1 from a 2009 at a reasonable price and wondered if they made them from stainless or mild steel.

Living in a wet horrible country makes you appreciate these things :P

jkv45
February 16th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Got the chance to buy a 2 into 1 from a 2009 at a reasonable price and wondered if they made them from stainless or mild steel.

Living in a wet horrible country makes you appreciate these things :P

Can't tell you for sure, but usually if they are painted black (edit: or chrome) they are regular steel. Most of the time they will leave stainless pipes bare.

Also try checking with a magnet. Good quality stainless won't be magnetic.

Whiskey
February 16th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Think they are, but don't know for certain, the road salt here does a pretty good job of rusting them, but I think it's pretty superficial rust.

ACF50 works well everywhere else on the bike but the downpipes burn it off pretty fast.

What part of the UK are you in?

Motofool
February 16th, 2014, 10:32 AM
............Also try checking with a magnet. Good quality stainless won't be magnetic.

:whathesaid:

If they are made of low carbon steel, electroplating covering (using nickel or chrome) is usual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_electroplating

RBN
February 16th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Hmm not sure what kind of finish you'd call it, it's not black or polished they look exactly like these which is what makes me think they're stainless:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K73-Kawasaki-EX250-Ninja-250-250R-2012-Exhaust-Headers-Downpipes-/380787687632?nma=true&si=NR0YTRDLstUHKv98p8FaeC62IP8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

(I hope ebay links are allowed as I can't seem to linkt he picture for some reason)

Sadly I can't do the magnet test as they're a long way from here and I don't much want to ask the guy selling them as I fear he'll go "oooo you reckon they might be stainless?, I'd better put the price up" :/

BTW @ Whiskey, I'm in Nottingham, are you UK as well? :)

alex.s
February 16th, 2014, 12:14 PM
mine are stained with road grime. does that mean its not stainless? :P

jkv45
February 16th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Hmm not sure what kind of finish you'd call it, it's not black or polished they look exactly like these which is what makes me think they're stainless:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K73-Kawasaki-EX250-Ninja-250-250R-2012-Exhaust-Headers-Downpipes-/380787687632?nma=true&si=NR0YTRDLstUHKv98p8FaeC62IP8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Judging from the ebay photos I'd say the newer ones (2 into 1) are stainless. I don't think the older ones are though.

Maybe some here with a newer model can test it with a magnet for you.

Whiskey
February 16th, 2014, 05:58 PM
RBN I'm a bit north of you, up in Sheff

You do the peak district much?

RBN
February 16th, 2014, 11:53 PM
RBN I'm a bit north of you, up in Sheff

You do the peak district much?

Yeah I sure do, I spent all yesterday afternoon meandering around matlock-bakewell-ladybower kind of areas, weather was awesome.

You get up there yourself much?

Whiskey
February 17th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Yeah I sure do, I spent all yesterday afternoon meandering around matlock-bakewell-ladybower kind of areas, weather was awesome.

You get up there yourself much?

Try to get up there as often as possible, but I haven't done many trips that way since late november, Sunday's weater was decent but my head wasn't :smile-beerglass:

The snake can be a great road if you get a quiet run on it, & the road from Buxton to Bakewell is cracking.

I almost stuffed it on the Cat & Fiddle a while back, mis-read a downhill decreasing radius turn that I'd done a few times earlier that day, went in a bit too hot & dragged a peg.

Some nice fast roads out towards Gainsborogh in north Lincolnshire too.

RBN
February 20th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Try to get up there as often as possible, but I haven't done many trips that way since late november, Sunday's weater was decent but my head wasn't :smile-beerglass:

The snake can be a great road if you get a quiet run on it, & the road from Buxton to Bakewell is cracking.

I almost stuffed it on the Cat & Fiddle a while back, mis-read a downhill decreasing radius turn that I'd done a few times earlier that day, went in a bit too hot & dragged a peg.

Some nice fast roads out towards Gainsborogh in north Lincolnshire too.

Aye I done the buxton to bakewell a few times, cat & fiddles always been daft busy whenever I've been that way and usually had the remainder of a binned bike dotted about too :S. Not been gainsborough way before though, I'll have a wee lookski on google maps later, tar for the tip.

RBN
February 20th, 2014, 10:21 AM
YES THEY ARE!

Well I bit the bullet and bought them, and to my relief the magnet will not stick to them :bounce:

Man it'll sure be nice knowing I won't need to buy another exhaust for a lot of years! And it even has a threaded hole into which I can fit the sensor for my home made A.F.R gauge. Very pleased indeed.