View Full Version : first ningsdays ride on cold mor

DC2-12
February 17th, 2014, 07:30 AM
so I noticed today that on real cold mornings (30degrees) the bike stalls unless I push it to level ground..my driveway and street are both steep hills..its like the clutch hangs or something..it just bogs all the way out..ive tried popping the clutch, letting out slowly and everything in between. but once I get it going after about a undred yards or so everything is fine...I let the bike warm up for 20 mins this morning..im just wondering if the clutch or cable is worn out ( no there isn't any slipping or rough shifts its like butter) or is this just an inherent trait of the little ninja hating cold weather..:confused:

subxero
February 17th, 2014, 08:37 AM
i read OP 3 times and am still a bit confused what is going on?

Questions

1) Bike runs normal in say 50degree weather?
2) The bike stalls on sloped ground when just sitting there on side stand? or is this when you try to get moving?
3) So after you ride for a bit the problem stops completely? Even if you have to stop on a hill?
4) Are you using the choke?
5) Are you giving any throttle when taking off?

So how you use the clutch on a cold day isn't going to matter much if you are not getting the correct amount of fuel, end result is a stall no matter if you pop clutch, or drag it out.

Use full choke to get thing started and adjust lower as needed, ease clutch out, apply throttle as needed. Sounds like bike is just not warm and you are not use to getting her moving in cold conditions.

30 degrees is not that cold, a well maintained stock ninja with stock jetting should have no issues

JohnnyBravo
February 17th, 2014, 09:05 AM
so I noticed today that on real cold mornings (30degrees) the bike stalls unless I push it to level ground..my driveway and street are both steep hills..its like the clutch hangs or something..it just bogs all the way out..ive tried popping the clutch, letting out slowly and everything in between. but once I get it going after about a undred yards or so everything is fine...I let the bike warm up for 20 mins this morning..im just wondering if the clutch or cable is worn out ( no there isn't any slipping or rough shifts its like butter) or is this just an inherent trait of the little ninja hating cold weather..:confused:

It's cause it's a Carolina bike... It's not into the cold! Move off the hill, and farther south!

Sirref
February 17th, 2014, 09:26 AM
potential solution: warm the bike up longer and leave the choke on a bit + add throttle as you take off on hill starts.

I had a similar problem at one point, The bike was not warmed up enough and as a result of that the stock (lean) jetting wasn't providing enough fuel for the bike to begin moving properly with a hill start. The short term solution is just to let the bike warm up longer and leave the choke on a bit when you ride off. Long term solution rejetting. This is assuming of course that you are experiencing the same problem that I did.

Subxero may also be able to provide some good advice after you answer his questions as the problem may not be the same as mine.

DC2-12
February 17th, 2014, 11:07 AM
the bike has already been rejetted by previous owner....yes I was giving it throttle when pulling off but 10 ft after moving rpms drop off even if holding throttle wide open...once I get it to flat ground it pulls off with a mild backfire sound from the exhaust and then revs pick up and bike goes just fine and from that moment on it runs like a dream even if I have to stop on a hill it pulls right off no problems..idk its weird as hell..the previous owner wasn't gentle with her...hell he didn't even clean and lube the chain for Christ sake..idk it only does this when it is stupid cold here but its my only transportation at the moment..guess I will figure it out or live with it...:(

DC2-12
February 17th, 2014, 11:08 AM
lol johnnybravo

DC2-12
March 21st, 2014, 06:05 PM
hate to restart a dead thread but I figured out the problem..it was partly due to the cold and partly due to the awful adjustment the previous owner had done to the poor bike but all fixed now and she runs like a dream

DaBlue1
March 21st, 2014, 06:58 PM
hate to restart a dead thread but I figured out the problem..it was partly due to the cold and partly due to the awful adjustment the previous owner had done to the poor bike but all fixed now and she runs like a dream

What did you do? Re-jet? You should have if you still got #110's in at your elevation. You may be too rich depending on your intake and exhaust set up.

ForceofWill
March 21st, 2014, 08:02 PM
You still didn't really answer what you do with the choke when you ride off. Are you leaving the choke full on then letting the bike warm up and riding off with the choke on?

You say the previous owner didn't even lube or clean the chain but you believe that he actually jetted the bike? Have you checked?

DC2-12
March 21st, 2014, 09:38 PM
he had the idle air misadjusted and the clutch cable was out of adjustment lightly..i now start the bike full choke and let it warm up 5-10 minutes slowly backing choke off..one the idle is at 1200 im able to to ride off no problems at all..ive also removed the carbs and gave them a good cleaning, did an oil change on it, it had about 1qt of oil in it and the filter wa put together incorrectly so Ive caught the bike up on maint. so now she purrs..

DaBlue1
March 22nd, 2014, 06:53 AM
....he had the idle air misadjusted
....the filter wa put together incorrectly

Which was it, the idle mixture/pilot jet screws or idle speed adjustment?
Which filter, air or oil?

Do you have an airbox or pods?
Did you correct the jetting?
What do your spark plugs and exhaust end cap look like?

Motofool
March 22nd, 2014, 08:01 AM
........i now start the bike full choke and let it warm up 5-10 minutes slowly backing choke off.........

That is not healthy; you can ride away with full or partial choke still applied, that will hurt nothing.

If engine is still weak to pull up on the hill is because it is being fed with less fuel than what it needs (the air-fuel mix is lean).

In that situation, full opening the throttle makes things worse (too much cold air and not enough fuel) killing the internal flames; just give it more fuel via more choke.

The choke in these bikes is named incorrectly as it is not choking anything; it is simply an additional injection of fuel into the intake passage in order to compensate the naturally lean mix produced by a cold carburetor and a cold engine (some of the fuel droplets condense on the cold surfaces before reaching the combustion chamber).

Lubrication of the cylinders in those cold-choke applied conditions of start up is marginal; hence, you put more wear on your engine's rings by letting it warm up at low rpms (idle).

Please, read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is_the_correct_way_to_apply_choke_at_startup%3F

uMAKyTvjqaQ

DaBlue1
March 22nd, 2014, 08:45 AM
....If engine is still weak to pull up on the hill is because it is being fed with less fuel than what it needs (the air-fuel mix is lean).

Motofool, I think he may be too rich. Last month he said his main jet size was 110. Which one Dynojet or Keihin? IDK

cool thanks guys the number on my main jet is a 110 so it looks like he was telling me the truth..heck yea lol

If he lives up in the hills of NC, his elevation is around 2000- 2400 ASL. If he's got an airbox, he's running too rich. If he's got pods and a full exhaust, 105 or 108 (Keihin) mains may be better. IDK what his exact set up is, however given his symptom of bogging on cold 30 degree mornings (although it's been much colder than that in the past few weeks) even with choke, doesn't sound right to me.

He says it runs like a dream and the clutch shifts like butter with about a QT of oil. IDK. I willing to bet with a little fine tuning the bike will run even better overall.

DC2-12
March 22nd, 2014, 05:07 PM
its a dynojet kit...and I have recently installed a slipon on the bike to replace the old muffler the previous owner had a stock gsxr muffler on it that he cut off some other bike..ive also got k&n pods the previous owner had already removed the stock airbox...the bike runs very well lol I know you guys don't believe me but it does I warm the bike up for a minute or 2 and im able to ride off even on a hill now..i was just wanting to give an update lol...and when I did the oil change it only had 1qt in it I filled it to factory spec now so with all the crap the previous owner did wrong to thi poor bike its no wonder it ran awful but since I have corrected all this it runs like a dream and I couldn't ask for a better bike to be on.

DaBlue1
March 23rd, 2014, 08:11 AM
....it ran awful but since I have corrected all this it runs like a dream and I couldn't ask for a better bike to be on.

:thumbup: