View Full Version : Short but heavy

trugracie
February 18th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Hi everyone!

This is my second post here (after intro), and have probably the most asked question but slightly different.
Am I too heavy???
I know its been beaten up and down the web, but the difference in my situation is that I'm short. I'm 5'7 and 270lbs butt nekid Yes very out of shape. :o
I have a 30" inseam, and have huge legs so you can imagine that the ninjette fits me just right and more comfortable than any other bike I've sat on so far. I can squat a clean 700lbs and bench about 350, however I'm in very poor shape, all my friends say I'm built like a bull. lol. Sorry for the mental image but I'm trying to get you guys to help me pull the trigger on a beautiful red 09 250r with under 2k miles.
The purpose of the bike would be to commute to work every day I can possibly ride. My commute consists of 20 miles of 70mph highway and 15 miles of twisty country roads. While riding to work today I noticed that the most I hit was 80mph maybe for a mile or so before I had to worry about getting pulled over by a state trooper (very bad in my area).
A while back a buddy of mine tried to get me to learn on a cbr 600f3 beater he had, but I couldn't keep it off the floor and lost all interest after busting my knee. Forward 6 years, not only do I want a bike I need it on my 70 mile round trip commute.
I have already signed up for the MSF course but it won't be till 3/20 and the guy selling the bike can only hold it for me til 2/28.
Advise and help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!! :thumbup:

csmith12
February 18th, 2014, 07:48 PM
270lbs will not be a major problem on the 250. One of my fellow racers is built like you and he does just fine. My 2up rides are 300lbs+ and they are spirited enough.

trugracie
February 18th, 2014, 07:57 PM
270lbs will not be a major problem on the 250. One of my fellow racers is built like you and he does just fine. My 2up rides are 300lbs+ and they are spirited enough.

Thank you for the fast response.......just what I was hoping to hear......everyone seems to quickly say "go for the 500".
But I much prefer the way the 250r fits me!

csmith12
February 18th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Np, even if you buy the bike and find that is not for you after all, you should be able to resell easy enough. So your risk is only a hunnit or so at the most or resell for exactly what you paid.

CC Cowboy
February 18th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Dear Brahma, I don't think you're too heavy, however; I wouldn't plan on riding anyone of the same size as a passenger. Not that the bike wouldn't do it, I just don't want to see the pictures.

csmith12
February 18th, 2014, 09:19 PM
crikey CC!!!

Sirref
February 18th, 2014, 09:29 PM
hahahahaha CC

a 250 should be fine for you, my 2up rides work out to be only a couple lbs shy of your weight and the bike handles the weight well enough. Don't expect to carry a passenger of any weight on the bike though as the extra weight will kill your acceleration and braking. My current commute to school is about 15 miles of highway at anywhere between 0mph to 90+mph depending what time I leave in the morning and 25 miles of twistyish back roads to get to the highway. The bike handles it just fine.

Klondike1020
February 18th, 2014, 09:46 PM
My 250 rode 400lbs plus on it just fine.... not nearly as fun. but it could do it.

I think you might want to trade your pilon seat for a hard case or cover.
:p or make sure you only give rides to very small people lol

Klondike1020
February 18th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Dont rush into buying any bike ever.

there are always more available !

trugracie
February 18th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Wow...
Thanks for all the fast and pleasant responses!!!
I had no plans on riding two up any time soon. I have literately no experience on a bike and wouldn't dear jeopardize my dear 105lb wife on it.
While I do own a Raptor 300 and know about gears and clutch, there has always been something about 2 wheels that scares the crud out of me. I lost 2 family members to motorcycle accidents so there's always that little fear.
I feel that the little 250r will do me right and teach me to ride properly and safely.

NevadaWolf
February 18th, 2014, 10:03 PM
According to a previous thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55359), the maximum recommended load in addition to vehicle weight is 170kg (375 lbs).

That's everything, you, all gear, accessories, luggage, etc. As long as you set your rear shock correctly and maintain good tire pressure, you should be fine.