View Full Version : HOT weather helmet ideas?

zeroth
April 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM
My sister-in-law lives in India, in an area where it reaches 115-120°F in the summer ("but it's a dry heat", they say ... :crazy:). Actually this spring it's already 115°F, so who knows how hot it will get! Nobody wears a helmet because of the heat. Mostly they just wrap a scarf around their heads (to avoid dust and heatstroke??). I thought it would be nice to get her a special hot-weather helmet that she could wear and not worry about passing out or drowning in her own sweat. Any ideas?

More info on the city (Rajkot, in the state of Gujarat): There's about a 2:1 ratio of 2-wheelers (mostly scooters, but some motorcycles also -- maxing out at about 200cc) to cages on the road. Roads are in good condition (the best I've seen in India), but occasional potholes, random construction, and irrational drivers (yes worse than Miami) does make it a challenge to ride safe sometimes. Traffic congestion isn't too bad, and lane splitting is perfectly legal (especially considering most roads don't have lanes!).

Her scooter: She has a 100cc (I think) scooter, which handles normal traffic speeds (upto 30-35mph) just fine. She would never conceive of taking it out on the freeway, so that's not an issue.

Thanks!

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
open faced?
it's better than no helmet and not claustrophobic if the person hasn't been wearing a helmet. Once she is used to it, then it's easier to transition into full faced.

zeroth
April 7th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Chris, is any open-faced helmet going to be cool and light enough for her (she's 5'2" 100lbs), or are there certain brands/models that would be better?

I've never actually even worn an open-faced helmet, so I don't know the first thing I'd have to look for. Also mine is a $90 HJC that could double as a weapon (i.e. heavy) and has a hot non-removeable liner, so that's probably not a good direction for her.

Edit:
Oh, and I guess my budget would be $200. I'm not sure if she'll even wear it, but on the other hand, I'm willing to pay slightly more for a lighter, less restrictive design (even at the cost of safety, since a mediocre helmet is loads better than no helmet at all!).

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
read this review.
removable liner

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/bell-mag-8/

CC Cowboy
April 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I've been to India many times and never ran into this "DRY HEAT". It was sweaty hot when I was there with high humidity and I beleive I would pass out if I had to wear a full face helmet in those conditions. An open face or a shorty would be the only helmet you could wear and still be able to breathe in.

zeroth
April 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks Chris! I have been to the WBW "helmet weights" page, but it didn't have that particular one listed. I was thinking of the Bell Shorty, but will keep the Mag-8 on my short list as well.

Oscar, the climate varies widely based on what part of India you visited. The Eastern part that I'm more familiar with is lush and green and almost tropical, and temperatures above 90°F make the sweat glands into faucets. But Western India is more dry and desert-like. That being said, 120°F is too damn hot!

sombo
April 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Well here's a few helmets you could try for her.

AFX FX-44 (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/16/158/5810/ITEM/AFX-FX-44-Helmet.aspx)

Vega Transit Helmet (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/16/158/19873/ITEM/Vega-Transit-Helmet.aspx)

There's also the "half" helmets that you could look at. I don't think those would be that great though.

BlueTyke
April 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
The helmets that are the full head helmets but don't come around to meet in the front with the full face sheilds. Should allow a little bit more 'wind' flow as she moves.

What I have been doing here while wearing my full face modular is wearing a bandana that has been soaked in ice water. :)

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I gave up wearing open-face helmets years ago after a 2nd bee flew into the ear cup while I was riding at speed. Not a fun experience. Get a full-face with good ventilation. With all the vents open my Bell Apex is very comfy in hot weather.

sombo
April 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM
If you look at the ones I linked they are open face but with a face shield.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/fx44silv.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/2009_Vega_Transit_Helmet.jpg

miks
April 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, those Open face with the shields look pretty sweet. I've read that wetting a piece of cloth then putting it on your head, then plonking a helmet on will do wonders if hot weather.

sometimesido
April 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I like these on looks. :D

http://www.motoin.de/images/product_images/original_images/11012242_0.jpg
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/gpa-helmet/gpa-helmet.gif

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Wow, those Open face with the shields look pretty sweet. I've read that wetting a piece of cloth then putting it on your head, then plonking a helmet on will do wonders if hot weather.

That's an old football trick we used to use back in the day. Its grreat for shorter rides but after a while the water in the bandanna heats up and starts adding to the humidity inside the lid.

sombo
April 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Oh, with that second one pictured (it's the vega I linked to earlier) it's liner is made with "Super absorbent Wick-Dri fabric to keep rider cool and dry".

With that I think the wet cloth would backfire on ya, but using it normal might keep you nice and cool and dry.

miks
April 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
So many fancy technical terms.

Heres something interesting that you might try in a hot day,

- "Sometimes baseball players put cabbage leaves under their baseball caps to keep their heads cool"

zeroth
April 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Thanks for all the input guys (and gals)! I'm really liking that Vega. Now for the tough part -- convincing her to wear a helmet!

jfauerba
April 8th, 2009, 07:27 AM
If you can't get her to wear a motorcycle helmet, you can try a bicycle helmet. It will not offer nearly the same protection but it is better than nothing. Most bicycle helmets are very light and allow a lot of breathing room.

zeroth
April 9th, 2009, 07:27 AM
If you can't get her to wear a motorcycle helmet, you can try a bicycle helmet. It will not offer nearly the same protection but it is better than nothing. Most bicycle helmets are very light and allow a lot of breathing room.

Ooh that's a good idea... I'll look into it, thanks!

Purspeed
April 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Most injuries occur to the lower jaw area first, so a full-face helmet would be necessary for proper protection.

muffinman
April 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I gave up wearing open-face helmets years ago after a 2nd bee flew into the ear cup while I was riding at speed. Not a fun experience. Get a full-face with good ventilation. With all the vents open my Bell Apex is very comfy in hot weather.

... but how often does it reach 120 degrees in Massachusetts? :p

JCCJMM_
April 12th, 2009, 06:28 PM
The only time I am bothered by heat with a full-face is when the temp is over 100 and I am NOT MOVING. Here in Dallas, traffic can be a real pain. And the temps in the summer hover around the century mark...... with lots of humidity.

Stay moving....stay cool.

+1 on a full face all the time.