View Full Version : GSXR shock swap questions

subxero
February 19th, 2014, 02:10 PM
So I have gone through countless GSXR shock threads and still can't make up my mind if it is something I should do or not.

Is the mod worth it?
Does anyone here recommend it?

For the people who have done it what are your thoughts?

tooblekain
February 19th, 2014, 02:33 PM
So I have gone through countless GSXR shock threads and still can't make up my mind if it is something I should do or not.

Is the mod worth it?
Does anyone here recommend it?

For the people who have done it what are your thoughts?

Definately worth it. The only reason I am not running a gixxer shock is because I got a Racetech one...but I have my gixxer rear shock as back up.

csmith12
February 19th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Here is the deal, maybe you can learn from my mistakes. :(

On the stock bits, both front and rear the bike is kinda funky at pace but it tolerable. Once you upgrade the rear, the stock front will TOTALLY suck. If you upgrade the front bits only, the bike is better than tolerable.

Now... if you upgrade them both... now your talkin'.

My mistake was that the gsxr shock upgrade is so cheap and easy, I did it before the front and paid for it on the track with slower lap times.

If your just streetin' it, then if you you set it soft and dial in the damping and rebound to your preferences, your rewarded with more enjoyable seat time with less recovery time needed after rides.

tooblekain
February 19th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Here is the deal, maybe you can learn from my mistakes. :(

On the stock bits, both front and rear the bike is kinda funky at pace but it tolerable. Once you upgrade the rear, the stock front will TOTALLY suck. If you upgrade the front bits only, the bike is better than tolerable.

Now... if you upgrade them both... now your talkin'.

My mistake was that the gsxr shock upgrade is so cheap and easy, I did it before the front and paid for it on the track with slower lap times.

If your just streetin' it, then if you you set it soft and dial in the damping and rebound to your preferences, your rewarded with more enjoyable seat time with less recovery time needed after rides.

Plus one!!! Forgot to add that I also have emulators. Emulators are cheap and if you have a drill press you can do the install yourself.

ninjamunky85
February 19th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Gixxer shock was one of the first mods I did to my 300. Difference is night and day IMO, definitely worth the $40 I paid for the shock plus the cost of hardware.

P.S. I just remembered that I sold my stock shock for $40, so overall cost was very little

subxero
February 19th, 2014, 05:06 PM
All sounds good. So yes there are several gsxr swap threads but no DIY. I think i have the jest of it from reading other threads but one thing i am unsure of is the dog bones. So i will need to buy a set of dog bones that will work right?

Which ones do you guys use and where did you get them from?

csmith12
February 19th, 2014, 05:10 PM
You will need a set of bones to keep stock height or adjust per your needs, I got mine from Rexbo.

Trailerboy531
February 19th, 2014, 05:27 PM
How fat are you? Gixxer shock may be over kill for some.

Rexbo no longer provides dog bones so that makes life harder, fyi.

subxero
February 19th, 2014, 05:36 PM
right now i am hovering right around 180lbs and have dreams of getting down to 170 :)

Yeah i seen that rexbo does not make the bones anymore which lead to me wondering what i would end up doing.

iamjacob
February 19th, 2014, 05:57 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21838.jpg

+

https://www.forneyind.com/_asset/ll6z9j/large/49450.jpg

+

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11753.jpg

=
http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/7/742583472071C.jpg or even http://www.streetfightersinc.com/images/MetisseLoweringKit7.jpg

If you can turn a wrench you can shape steel.

Sorry for the giant images, I could figure out how to make 'em any smaller.

ChrisJuliano
February 19th, 2014, 06:16 PM
I ordered 1"-1.25" (he sells 1", I had him make me 1.25 or close to it" rise dogbones from a guy for $35ish shipped.

I have been waiting for a little over a week and a half and have not recieved them yet (sorta expected for custom specs given to him) so when I do get ill let you guys know how they are.

Burkhartcycle.com I think it was.

I just got a text from him saying they sent out this morning!!!! WOOT!

Trailerboy531
February 19th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I think he wants you to get a bone from a pet store and drill a hole in it.

could work.

subxero
February 19th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I ordered 1"-1.25" (he sells 1", I had him make me 1.25 or close to it" rise dogbones from a guy for $35ish shipped.

I have been waiting for a little over a week and a half and have not recieved them yet (sorta expected for custom specs given to him) so when I do get ill let you guys know how they are.

Nice definitely post up once you get them.

What size would be best to keep bike in stockish position?
What made you go with the 1" and 1.25"?

what about these bad boys? junk?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-08-09-10-KAWASAKI-NINJA-250-250R-SWINGARM-ADJUSTER-/230497401799?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35aab73bc7&vxp=mtr

subxero
February 19th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I have a little cash to spend (not much) and was originally planning on dumping it into farkles but after reading a bit i am thinking it will go into the front forks. **** aint cheap but will definitely be worth it.

I still need to send my dirt bike forks out to get revalved and setup ect… but i don't have to do anything and it only costs $200 bucks.

Question regarding gsxr shock, should i be looking for a particular year or will they all roughly fit the same even newer ones?

ForceofWill
February 19th, 2014, 08:48 PM

Assuming he has the specs now for the dogbones for our bike, I'm gonna get some from him since my shock is on the way.

What name and specs did you give him? IE, how should I reference this piece if when I talk to him.

LoD575
February 19th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I have been following shock swaps as well. First is to replace front springs and oil then go for the rear.

ChrisJuliano
February 20th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Assuming he has the specs now for the dogbones for our bike, I'm gonna get some from him since my shock is on the way.

What name and specs did you give him? IE, how should I reference this piece if when I talk to him.

He has 1" raise dogbones, I think 1.25 would be perfect since I think itll be very close to stock since I am lightweight and my gsxr shocks preload is set litearlly whole way up (1 3/4" of sag for me) so my rear dropped alot.

If you are more weight you may be able to get 1"

He has them on his website just search, if you want something custom in the messages I wrote what I wanted and emailed him. You can email him first if you want.

ChrisJuliano
February 20th, 2014, 03:27 AM
Nice definitely post up once you get them.

What size would be best to keep bike in stockish position?
What made you go with the 1" and 1.25"?

what about these bad boys? junk?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-08-09-10-KAWASAKI-NINJA-250-250R-SWINGARM-ADJUSTER-/230497401799?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35aab73bc7&vxp=mtr

Those and almost everything on the market lower it.

The longer they are the lower the bike will go, the shorter and the higher itll go. No one makes raised ones for the ninja most lower 1-4" this is the only one I can find other than rexbo which does not sell them anymore.

Somchai
February 20th, 2014, 04:53 AM
No one makes raised ones

Wrong, in Germany you can get this one for 35 USD (he's shipping worldwide and I'd send a email a while ago asking about size, he'll make each size you tell him, remember its mm not inch) http://www.ebay.de/itm/Heck-Hoherlegung-Kawasaki-ZX-250-R-Ninja-Bj-07-35mm-/170657973133?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item27bc02038d

And I post this link the second time now, where you can get some: http://japan.webike.net/ps/#!p.m=5921&p.c=1080&p.sk=1

ForceofWill
February 20th, 2014, 05:01 AM
He has 1" raise dogbones, I think 1.25 would be perfect since I think itll be very close to stock since I am lightweight and my gsxr shocks preload is set litearlly whole way up (1 3/4" of sag for me) so my rear dropped alot.

If you are more weight you may be able to get 1"

He has them on his website just search, if you want something custom in the messages I wrote what I wanted and emailed him. You can email him first if you want.

I just emailed them and asked, didn't see the option anywhere on the site, just lowering links.

Thanks for the heads up though!

subxero
February 20th, 2014, 10:35 AM
I have a little cash to spend (not much) and was originally planning on dumping it into farkles but after reading a bit i am thinking it will go into the front forks. **** aint cheap but will definitely be worth it.

I still need to send my dirt bike forks out to get revalved and setup ect… but i don't have to do anything and it only costs $200 bucks.

Question regarding gsxr shock, should i be looking for a particular year or will they all roughly fit the same even newer ones?

ChrisJuliano
February 20th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Thats weird they were just on his site. I am going to talk to him and see if he took them off or what.

ninjamunky85
February 20th, 2014, 01:36 PM

My shock was from an '07 I believe. I don't know if the year matters, I'm sure it does I just don't know what years don't fit. Make sure that it is from a 600/750cc though cause the shock from the 1000 won't fit.

ChrisJuliano
February 20th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Hes adding it tonight for you guys.

What height would you guys want this to be raised. I can make him make one with multiple holes maybe, one for 1"-1.5"?

csmith12
February 20th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Use a 07, 08 or 09 they all are the same length (315mm).

subxero
February 20th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Hes adding it tonight for you guys.

What height would you guys want this to be raised. I can make him make one with multiple holes maybe, one for 1"-1.5"?

IDK, what would I need to be at stock height, or just a hair above?

ChrisJuliano
February 20th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Not sure, when mine come I can find out though when I install them. I got 1.25" raise I think.

ForceofWill
February 20th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Multiple holes would be awesome(heh), I'm like 190 with gear on so I'd try 1-1.25

ChrisJuliano
February 20th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Ill talk to him maybe he can make something up.

csmith12
February 20th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Multiple holes would be awesome(heh), I'm like 190 with gear on so I'd try 1-1.25

Question Tom. Why would you raise your ride height based on weight or is there more to your thoughts?

ChrisJuliano
February 20th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Cssmith for me since I am light I had to get rid of all the preload the gsxr shock allows, which made it very low to get my sag right around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4. So my rear end was so low that I wanted it to be about a quarter of a inch higher than stock so figured 1.25" was just about right.

Hence why I choose to raise my bike 1.25" with the dogbones. Then I will ahve a great ride height since I want it to have a little bit of rake so it turns in quick.

old3
February 20th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Anyone know the ratio of dogbone change to actual bike ride height? What distance between dog bone lengths equals 1" of ride height lift?

This could be as simple as drilling new holes in stock arms, no?

alex.s
February 20th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Anyone know the ratio of dogbone change to actual bike ride height? What distance between dog bone lengths equals 1" of ride height lift?

This could be as simple as drilling new holes in stock arms, no?

0.559 with the stock 08+ knuckle. no idea on 300 or pregen

old3
February 20th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Great place to start, thanks!

ForceofWill
February 20th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Question Tom. Why would you raise your ride height based on weight or is there more to your thoughts?

Wasn't really just based on my weight. It's just I haven't seen a whole lot of concrete on the GSXR subject and I didn't wanna not be able to get there with a certain length riser and the shocks available pre-load.

Was thinking I would get both links or if he'll make them one with two holes at 1 and 1.25 so I can play around with it.

csmith12
February 20th, 2014, 05:45 PM
That's cool, normally riders buy springs based on weight and then adjust ride height other many other factors.

ChrisJuliano
February 20th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I am going to keep the stock spring and see how it is, I may just have to replace the spring.

alex.s
February 20th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I have been following shock swaps as well. First is to replace front springs and oil then go for the rear.

an unbalanced bike is worse than an incorrectly sprung balanced bike. do both front and back at the same time.

ForceofWill
February 20th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Same. I'm gonna get the front put together and the gsxr and see how it does from there. If I need a new spring I can adjust after. I'm gonna be changing so much at once and I'm really not a bike suspension guru(more of a car guy) so I'm gonna have to start here and try and dial in what I can.

subxero
February 21st, 2014, 12:03 PM
anyone know how much lower the bike is with the gsxr shock and stock dog bones?

rojoracing53
February 21st, 2014, 12:37 PM
We used to have these really slick billet alloy dogbones for the R1 super bikes that were adjustable with a nice fine thread and locknut. I think when I get my GSXR shock installed I'll go that same route that way I can play around with the setting.

ForceofWill
February 22nd, 2014, 08:26 AM
I got an email from Burkhart, they're up on the site now.

http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_34&products_id=204

ForceofWill
February 22nd, 2014, 02:10 PM
Just ordered a set in 1" and 1.25" raising. $40 shipped for both pretty sweet deal.

old3
February 22nd, 2014, 03:40 PM
Figures it gets listed the day after I order mine based on my own measurements!

If you think of it, post up eye to eye distances for each in mm. I went with the 157.78mm universal set after eyeballing a tape measure and hacking up my stock link arms.

LoD575
February 22nd, 2014, 03:45 PM
Going to order the 1" and 1.25" myself.

ChrisJuliano
February 22nd, 2014, 06:42 PM
I just took my bike for a 100 mile ride today, first itme riding since new suspension and all I have to say is WOW! Gsxr shock swap is great!

Second, I think the 1.25" raise I bought may be a little to much since I have shortlest legs ever, I am 5'9 but wear 28/29" inseam jeans. The height I am at now with gsxr shock seems a little shorter than stock so I think the 1.25" will raise it up past stock which I wont mind but hopefully I can reach the ground:P

subxero
February 22nd, 2014, 07:33 PM
so you have the 1" up bones in now correct?

Did you do any measurements before slapping the new shock and dog bones in to see if indeed it is higher than stock now ect…?

old3
February 22nd, 2014, 08:34 PM
How about we get an accurate set of numbers together regarding the link eye to eye and actual rise/drop?

That would have been handy before ordering or building anything link related.

subxero
February 23rd, 2014, 05:10 AM
^agreed kinda what i have been trying to get.

ChrisJuliano
February 23rd, 2014, 11:11 AM
I have not gotten my new dogbones yet, so right now I am at stock gsxr shock with all the preload taken out of it.

ChrisJuliano
February 24th, 2014, 02:27 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169178

stubshaft
February 24th, 2014, 10:07 PM
How about we get an accurate set of numbers together regarding the link eye to eye and actual rise/drop?

That would have been handy before ordering or building anything link related.

I would think that we would need the overall length of the GSXR shock as they vary from 315mm to 334mm too.

subxero
March 3rd, 2014, 07:14 AM
So I have another question.

Do you need the Y shaped anchor bolt that connects to the top of the gsxr shock for putting it on a ninja250?

A lot of the shocks on ebay come with or with out this piece and i can save a few bucks by buying one without it if I don't need it.

I am not talking about the bottom part that the linkage connects up with, the top. there is another Y type bracket with a threaded bolt coming out of it.

ForceofWill
March 3rd, 2014, 07:38 AM
I just bought the shock. I know the piece you're talking about and my understanding was you use the stock one and just grind a little to fit.

I offered the ebay place I got mine from $50 shipped and they took it and it's in perfect shape.

subxero
March 3rd, 2014, 08:28 AM
I just bought the shock. I know the piece you're talking about and my understanding was you use the stock one and just grind a little to fit.

I offered the ebay place I got mine from $50 shipped and they took it and it's in perfect shape.

So did you buy with or without this piece?

ForceofWill
March 3rd, 2014, 08:36 AM
So did you buy with or without this piece?

I just bought the shock, I didn't get the other pieces.

I guess I should have said "only" lol. I didn't buy it "just" now, I have it already lol.

subxero
March 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
^Great, thanks. I didn't think this piece was needed so I figure I will buy w/o. If I end up needing it I'm sure I can find it for a few bucks.

P.S.

Looking forward to your DIY on this swap

subxero
March 3rd, 2014, 11:52 AM
Just bought used 06-08 gsxr 600 shock off ebay. $24.00 shipped. looks good, spring doesn't look to be in best shape, probably why it is cheaper than others but I am replacing the spring so I don't care.

I should have shock in a few days, giving me time to take it apart and clean it while im waiting for some funds to clear my paypal that I will use to buy race tech spring off ebay and slap it in the shock. :thumbup:

ForceofWill
March 3rd, 2014, 01:58 PM
Very cool Joe. I know the stock spring is supposed to be a little stiff. I'm about 190 with gear so I'm gonna see how it does first.

cbinker
March 3rd, 2014, 03:10 PM
IMO best $100 i spent on the bike. I am pushing 200lbs fully geared and the stability the bike offers is amazing, i just need to upgrade the fork inners, and i will be set.

ForceofWill
March 3rd, 2014, 03:13 PM
IMO best $100 i spent on the bike. I am pushing 200lbs fully geared and the stability the bike offers is amazing, i just need to upgrade the fork inners, and i will be set.

Mind if I ask where you're at for high/low compression and rebound so I have a place to start? We're about the same weight.

cbinker
March 3rd, 2014, 03:26 PM
Mind if I ask where you're at for high/low compression and rebound so I have a place to start? We're about the same weight.

honestly, i dont know, i havent spent much time working on it.

ChrisJuliano
March 4th, 2014, 03:20 AM
I heard a 3 clicks in is where alot of light weight riders are at so I am going to try that.

How much are the race tech springs?

subxero
March 4th, 2014, 06:18 AM
ChrisJuliano I have seen both front and rear springs (separate not together) around various websites and ebay for right around $105. On the actual race tech website they are $115-$125 for the most part.

stubshaft
March 5th, 2014, 06:19 PM
I managed to get a shock from an '08 GSXR 600 for $23.11 shipped on Flea-bay. The only 12mm X 1.25 X 125mm bolts locally are $7.85@. Now to find a 12mm drill bit...

rojoracing53
March 5th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I managed to get a shock from an '08 GSXR 600 for $23.11 shipped on Flea-bay. The only 12mm X 1.25 X 125mm bolts locally are $7.85@. Now to find a 12mm drill bit...

31/64 is what your looking for. That's .015" clearance

stubshaft
March 5th, 2014, 08:53 PM
31/64 is what your looking for. That's .015" clearance

Thanks!

subxero
March 6th, 2014, 07:50 AM
another place that sells dog bones to raise the bike. Not sure if they ship internationally though. Not overly cheap either especially after you would factor in shipping most likely but hey here it is.

http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspension/kawasaki-jack-up-kits.html

rojoracing53
March 6th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Yikes that's a lot for some black paint and a fancy sticker. I could a make some plain 1/4 think dog bones for 1/3 that price.

subxero
March 6th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Awesomesauce!!

For anyone looking to save a few more buck while at the same time trying to get a shock spring a little less stiff and close for your weight i was digging around and found out this tasty tidbit

2011-2012 Yamaha FZ8 spring should be same dimensions as 04-08 gsxr spring but stock spring rate for FZ8 is 8.1kg/mm which should be pretty good for a rider in the 160-175lb range, better than the stock gsxr spring at 9.4kgmm

Only down side i have found right now is that since fz8 is fairly new model there are not a lot of cheap ebay parts yet. A few shocks sell for just as much as a new race tech spring BUT there are a few that are in the lower range of $40, but you might be able to sell shock without spring to make up some of difference after you take what you want

So you be the judge
`$40 for a used spring vs $105 for a new race tech spring?

For someone trying to same some pennies it might be worth looking into :thumb up:

EDIT: So i got this shock in and the spring is similar in size to the 03 R1 spring. It is a little short and i think you would most likely need a spacer to get the correct preload. You have probably a little more than 1/4inch of threads left to add preload from the point of first tension. That being said it would still probably work preload might be a little on the light side but hard to say with out mounting it all up and checking sag ect...

subxero
March 7th, 2014, 08:06 AM
More awesomesauce!

It would appear that the 02-03 R1 spring is the same dimensions as 04-08 gsxr 600 spring AND the 02-03 R1 spring has a reported stock rate of 8.8kg/mm :thumbup:

This should give another great option for people looking to get a spring rate closer for their weight and save some cash :dancecool:

between the FZ8, the 03 R1 and stock GSXR stock springs, should be able to cover a fairly broad range of different weight riders.

I have both an FZ8 shock and 03 R1 shock on the way so I can snag the springs off of them and will update how things go. I am thinking I will use the R1 spring in the end so if anyone is interested in the FZ8 spring let me know I will most likely be selling it.

It is 8.1kg/mm probably good for a rider in the 160lb range give or take :thumbup:

EDIT:
So i got an 03 R1 shock in today and they springs are unfortunately not remotely the same dimensions. Is that the end of it... no. The spring will still fit on the GSXR shock but, you can not use the plastic colar thing (big deal, most shocks don't even come with those). The main down side to this swap is that the R1 Spring is short enough that by the time you get it snugged up you will have little to no threads left to adjust your preload which sucks. I'm sure you could make/come up with something to use as a spacer to leave you with more threads for adjustment but IMO at that point cheap and easy swap starts to turn into going out of your way just to make it work now that you have the junk.

After doing some math on things I am thinking there will be just enough preload adjustment for the 03 R1 shock. 8.8kg/mm ~245kg total weight/2 = ~122.5kg 122kg/8.8 = ~ 14mm of preload.... does that make sense? Should do the install this weekend if im lucky

I should be getting an FZ8 shock in the mail shortely as well, will be intersting to see how that one measures up.

hmmm now what to do with this shock and spring....

ForceofWill
March 7th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Very cool to see more options. I'm gonna do my swap tomorrow. I'll make sure to have the sag with the stock spring and my weight in the write up.

kdogg2077
March 9th, 2014, 04:37 PM
So is there a point in changing the shocks for a guy who weighs 165 with full gear?

subxero
March 9th, 2014, 05:57 PM
you are thinking about it the wrong way.

The shock you have now has no tuning ability, it is what it is, you are stuck with what you got.

Adding a gsxr shock allows you to control different aspects of the shock such as rebound and dampening and then the suspension can be tuned for your style/type of roads you are generally on.

kdogg2077
March 10th, 2014, 06:38 PM
OK I'll keep that in mind for a future upgrade.

subxero
March 13th, 2014, 12:09 PM
info from another thread that you may never find or even now it is there. Some other good posts in that thread but it is several pages long so you might need to do some reading

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=685635&postcount=288