View Full Version : A-tech rear hugger

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I got my rear hugger in the mail yesterday from a-tech. It got here pretty fast. I ordered on Thursday and it got here on Tuesday. Here are some shots of the a-tech hugger I got in yesterday. Pretty slick. My only complaint is how it attaches on the muffler side. It requires you to remove the S shaped wire holding the brake line in place, which is a super pain, especially since i found out the allen bolt was stripped! I wound up just prying the wire out. You then attach the line to the hugger using a plastic clip and some double stick adhesive. The other drawback is that it attaches on the muffler side using a single bolt. While it seems pretty secure, you can definitely feel it ratle when you go over a speed bump. Sorry about the resolution again, still haven't got a charger for my camera yet.

Rynownd
April 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Lookin' good! ...just gotta keep people from :drool: on the CF

kazam58
April 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Looks sweet! I didn't know about that issue with the exhaust side you were talking about. Maybe with a little bit more time someone can figure out another way to secure it or make it better. I'm still waiting on that kawiforum spinoff of this hugger, I can't wait.

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
If I ever remember to get the charger for my camera I can post some better pics of exactly what I'm talking about. Its kind of pointless trying to show it with my crap cameraphone. The hugger feels pretty secure, but I'm just worried if I wind up macking a speedbump or pothole hard enough that it may crack or something.

kazam58
April 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
hmm....that is something that's a little worrisome. Let me know if you come up with anything.
And pics are much appreciated.

miks
April 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Looking good mate. Pretty sure that adds like 10 mph to the bike.

Shift250R
April 7th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Thats looks great! Ive never seen this on another bike other than beast. Put up some more pics when you get your camera going.

Ninja007
April 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
you got it!!!!! :D looks awesome man! so do you like it?! like kazam58, I'm still holdin' out on the kawiforums replica. but, if that goes to ****, then I'll fall back on this! looks excellent! makes the back end of the bike seem less wussy.

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah I was lining up for that same kawiforums deal, but days became weeks became months and I wasn't sure if that thing would ever be ready so I just went ahead and got the real one!

So far I love it. The only thing is I still have the stock exhaust hangar/footpeg holder so it looks kind of wack with just one footpeg on the bike. Other than that though, its pretty sick.

Ninja007
April 7th, 2009, 10:37 PM
sweet dude. yeah, the ball on the kawiforum replica is actually starting to role a little bit. we might see results soon (hopeful!) yours looks killer tho! good stuff!

CZroe
April 23rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
Because the wimpy swingarm looks at its worst on the muffler side (especially for those with diminuitive exhausts like the HR1 or the modded GSXR pipe), I always want to see what a hugger does to clean that up (the "swingarm cover" part). Strangely, people seem to avoid showing that. :(

Of course, I've seen it, but not much of it!

That said, I want to git White Hendrix's a fiberglass copy of the A-tech to paint myself, but it doesn't seem to have good "delineating lines" for painting the swingarm cover part a flat-black and the tire-hugging part a shiny body-color (CP Blue in my case). What I mean is, it just looks too "curvy" where the two areas meet, so I think it would look weird if the painted colors met there. Then again, I haven't seen it in person. Does it look like something that could be cleanly painted to be two-tone? If not, I'll have to see a professional about getting it to fade. Come to think of it, that might look cool, but I really don't have the money! Is it even possible to cleanly fade flat-to-gloss though?

Shift250R
April 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Because the wimpy swingarm looks at its worst on the muffler side (especially for those with diminuitive exhausts like the HR1 or the modded GSXR pipe), I always want to see what a hugger does to clean that up (the "swingarm cover" part). Strangely, people seem to avoid showing that. :(

Of course, I've seen it, but not much of it!

That said, I want to git White Hendrix's a fiberglass copy of the A-tech to paint myself, but it doesn't seem to have good "delineating lines" for painting the swingarm cover part a flat-black and the tire-hugging part a shiny body-color (CP Blue in my case). What I mean is, it just looks too "curvy" where the two areas meet, so I think it would look weird if the painted colors met there. Then again, I haven't seen it in person. Does it look like something that could be cleanly painted to be two-tone? If not, I'll have to see a professional about getting it to fade. Come to think of it, that might look cool, but I really don't have the money! Is it even possible to cleanly fade flat-to-gloss though?

I also had the same idea about buying a fiber glass one and two tone painting it cp blue. I was going to buy the exact frame matching black and cp blue from colorrite and just follow this bikes paint design on the hugger. Im pretty sure its a tech but I could be wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF95SXLIp9o&feature=channel_page
The only thing is that after colorrites prices it might just be cheaper to buy a CF one.

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
The way the hugger is shaped I don't think a two tone paint job would work out too good unless you are an incredible painter. The way the curves on the hugger are it just seems too difficult. If you're looking for the two tone look maybe check out a skidmarx hugger. those are made in two tone to match the bike with the bottom part being black and the upper part being the OEM paint color.

Shift250R
April 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM
The way the hugger is shaped I don't think a two tone paint job would work out too good unless you are an incredible painter. The way the curves on the hugger are it just seems too difficult. If you're looking for the two tone look maybe check out a skidmarx hugger. those are made in two tone to match the bike with the bottom part being black and the upper part being the OEM paint color.

Is the one in the vid I posted a tech? I think that one came out real nice. I dont know..I like the carbon fiber but it looks like it stands out way more when painted but then again i havnt seen it in real life. Is it really noticable in person or just a dark piece in the back?

ryandward
March 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
The Zip Tie that came with the kit is meant to tie down the brake line through the two holes on that side. At least that's what I did... BTW, I destroyed my metal stay when I removed it...

Davidb1986
March 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Definitely on my list of mods now!!! Let me know how the muffler problem works out.

ryandward
March 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Look how close the chain comes to the hugger. I love it.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/ryandward/CIMG0188.jpg

Here's a picture of the left side. I'm kinda sad that I HAD to use a drill to expand the swing arm screw hole, since it was a TINY bit too far back.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/ryandward/CIMG0189.jpg

Here's how the whole right side looks.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/ryandward/CIMG0190.jpg

You can see both mods here, an exhaust hanger and the rear hugger.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/ryandward/CIMG0191.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/ryandward/CIMG0192.jpg

This seems kind of ghetto, but it's really the only thing that works. It came with some extra felt or something... I think I already lost it, not sure what it was for.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/ryandward/CIMG0193.jpg

Davidb1986
March 12th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Nice!!!!!!!

CZroe
March 13th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Is the one in the vid I posted a tech? I think that one came out real nice. I dont know..I like the carbon fiber but it looks like it stands out way more when painted but then again i havnt seen it in real life. Is it really noticable in person or just a dark piece in the back?

Could be. It's A-Tech style at least. It does look surprisingly good. Better than I could have expected a 2-tone A-Tech design to look. Even so, I wonder if other colors would look good painted down the back like this one did.

JaeL
April 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Is A-tech the only company that makes a hugger with the swing arm cover?

riiken
April 4th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Is A-tech the only company that makes a hugger with the swing arm cover?
SHINTO's rear hugger courtesy of ThaiNinjaRR
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39049

maglin
April 15th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Has anybody with A-Tech hugger tried Bridgestone BT003RS 140/70 rear tyre?

Does it have clearing issues?

ThaiNinjaRR
April 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Has anybody with A-Tech hugger tried Bridgestone BT003RS 140/70 rear tyre?

Does it have clearing issues?

from what i'v seen, yes it does, you need to drill new holes in it. and move it back about an inch or two.

maglin
April 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM
from what i'v seen, yes it does, you need to drill new holes in it. and move it back about an inch or two.

Thanks pal! :thumbup:

Babybrandon206
April 24th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Where did you buy the A-Tech Rear Hugger anyways?

hmingtea
August 1st, 2011, 03:15 AM
can you please tell me where do you got this A-tech hugger

CZroe
August 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
Japan. You have to find some service to pay and import it for you.