View Full Version : 09 Ninja 250r about to purchase. Seeking thoughts.

sjtramontano
February 23rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
Hello,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 09 250r and would like your thoughts about a particular one. Craigslist ad asking $3,000 for a garage stored, new looking ninja. My only concerns is the fact that for the year model that the miles may be too low. It has 2,161 miles, second owner and he says he realized riding wasn't for him.
He bought the bike @ 2,099 miles, meaning he only went 60 miles last summer and that was the last time it moved. I'm kind of scared because, I pretty much have to spend all my money to get the bike, insurance etc. and don't want to have to repair anything for at least a month or so.

Does it seem legit that someone would pay $3,500 for a bike and only ride it a couple times? Is pulling out and cleaning carbs an absolute necessity? Or is there the possibility that just some fresh fuel and seafoam would be all that is necessary? He says the bike has NO ISSUES.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/4335294962.html

What do you think?

quarterliter
February 23rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
It does look real clean, but 3000 sounds a little steep to me. Idk what blue book is at, but 2700 sounds about right to me. If it runs and rides fine then there is no need to worry about the carbs. But if it's hard to start or bogs badly then a carb cleaning is in order. I would bring along a friend who is a fairly experienced rider to look it over and even take it for test ride.

Boosted139
February 23rd, 2014, 07:06 PM
I would offer under 3k and make sure it starts from a COLD start without any throttle (choke is fine). If it can start cold without any issues, the carbs are most likely not all gunked up from sitting.

sjtramontano
February 23rd, 2014, 08:21 PM
Good info, thanks. I did offer less initially, he was so firm with his price that it made me feel it had value to him and not some junk to get off his hands.

I think your right, I'm going to offer $2,700 and stand my ground. I only feel odd about the fact that I would be the 3rd owner in only 2,000 miles.
Either I will be lucky or figure out why no one is keeping this thing.

sjtramontano
March 5th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Just to update, I did buy the bike for $2,700. It looks perfect, sounds good but I've only ridden it less than a mile.

It was an adventure getting it home. I had to find a ditch to be able to get the back end of the pickup down to roll it off, this was about a mile from home. I had no ramp and it was raining. I let it warm up, while I parked and locked up my truck. I just purchased a helmet today, but on the 2nd when I bought it I didn't have one. The bike had expired tags and as soon as I take the 1 mile "chance ride" the police comes right on my tail. How?

Bad tags, no helmet and somehow he doesn't even pull me over. Thank God.

I now have the title in my name, tags,registration and insurance. New helmet today and now I can ride. Now I'm just trying to figure out when to ride. 40f high tomorrow. I guess I should wait.

This is really my first bike and have a lot to learn. Is riding in the cold dangerous? Trying to be patient. This bike bug has distracted me from my school work the last two weeks and I need it out my system. ha.

csmith12
March 5th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Just to update, I did buy the bike for $2,700. It looks perfect, sounds good but I've only ridden it less than a mile.

It was an adventure getting it home. I had to find a ditch to be able to get the back end of the pickup down to roll it off, this was about a mile from home. I had no ramp and it was raining. I let it warm up, while I parked and locked up my truck. I just purchased a helmet today, but on the 2nd when I bought it I didn't have one. The bike had expired tags and as soon as I take the 1 mile "chance ride" the police comes right on my tail. How?

Bad tags, no helmet and somehow he doesn't even pull me over. Thank God.

I now have the title in my name, tags,registration and insurance. New helmet today and now I can ride. Now I'm just trying to figure out when to ride. 40f high tomorrow. I guess I should wait.

This is really my first bike and have a lot to learn. Is riding in the cold dangerous? Trying to be patient. This bike bug has distracted me from my school work the last two weeks and I need it out my system. ha.

Lucky dawg... the po po would have pulled me over. They seem to pull me over for every little thing nowadays....

First bike and a lot to learn aye? Lesson one: buy more gear :)
Is riding in the cold dangerous? Yep, don't go be gettin hypothermia and gettin sick on us. Stay warm.

csmith12
March 5th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Oh!!!! Gratz on the bike.

c-dog
March 5th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Good deal on the bike. It's awesome when someone gets their first bike. I wish I could experience the feeling again. Enjoy yourself and stay safe! :cool:

kennetht
March 6th, 2014, 08:54 AM
If you are new to riding, I would definitely take the basic rider course. Even for someone that knows how to ride, it is still worth the money to practice. I learned things from taking the course that I never knew, so I would recommend it to anyone.

I find myself now doing all the things I learned in the course. It is all habit now, just because of the two day course that drilled everything into my head.

You mentioned you now have the title in your name, tags,registration and insurance. You forgot to mention the license. Do you have a motorcycle endorsement on your license?

kennetht
March 6th, 2014, 08:55 AM
O and welcome to the club!