View Full Version : GSXR Shock dogbone solution!! Cheap too!

ChrisJuliano
February 24th, 2014, 02:08 PM
So ever since I wanted to swap my 2009 gsxr shock onto my ninja 250r, I was trying to find a dogbone that raised the ninja back up to stock height. I came across after tons of searching since Rexbo does not sell them anymore, a site called http://burkhartcycle.com/store/ which at first seemed like the only place selling dogbones that raise up the ninja instead of lower since the GSXR shock lowers the ninja a decent amount (for a light weight rider like me since my preload was set up the most the shock would allow), so I needed around a 1.25-1.5" raise on the dogbones to keep my suspension sag within spec.

I emailed him and he made me 1.25" raise dogbones, which put me at 26.5" total distance from the center of the chain tensioner on the chain side, to the highest corner most part of the rear side fairings where it meets the tail light/rear seat cowl.

This is exactly where I wanted it, which is very close to stock height with the gsxr shock, I am going to email him and see if he can make 1.25, 1.5, and 1.75" raise dogbones for us. If its not on his site soon email him and im sure he can make it happen hes very helpful and I have nothing but great reviews so far. And at $17 you cant beat it! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_34&products_id=204

I could have washed it up before I took pic, oh well!
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/ChrisJuliano13/855623B6-5B8C-4E3A-A588-101880671B44_zpsamz9uieg.jpg

sharky nrk
February 24th, 2014, 02:40 PM
That is really great!!!!

ForceofWill
February 24th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Very nice to see some progress on this. I've got mine coming with 1" and 1.25". Looks like the 1.25" should work nicely.

Aodrn
February 24th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Im curious about the rise with a stock shock. I wanted more ground clearance. I want to drop my forks the rest of the way to sit flush with the top of the triple. Then I want to raise the back to keep the geometry correct. I think I would need a substantial rise from the rear though. Any thoughts on how much is too much?
This is a great price, I may just buy in to experiment.

ChrisJuliano
February 24th, 2014, 04:30 PM
If I had to order it again, I would go with 1.5" rise just so its a little more than stock.

They are so cheap I may just get the ones with multiple locations when he makes them.

If you guys have any ideas for parts for him to make message him (post up on here too so I can see what people come up with). He said he is more than welcome to develop parts if we have ideas I have been talking to him via email ever since I bought these parts and I am very pleased with his "small business attitude" and great customer service.

Aodrn
February 24th, 2014, 05:57 PM
So it looks like I could drop the forks 3/8 of an inch. I wonder how twitchy it would be with a 1/4 raise up front and a 1" in back

subxero
February 24th, 2014, 06:46 PM
glad to hear they worked well and they seem to be reasonably priced which makes this an even better budget mod.

If anyone else does the shock mod can you do some before and after measurements of some things so we are not just shooting in the dark here?

I am going to do it, but probably won't get to it for a week or 2 at best

Xtina
February 24th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Urge to degrease rising.

mania
February 24th, 2014, 07:23 PM
So it looks like I could drop the forks 3/8 of an inch. I wonder how twitchy it would be with a 1/4 raise up front and a 1" in back

I think opposite of twitchy...Although I may be confused by what you wrote
First you said drop the forks then later raise the front so I am thinking you meant slide the forks down into the top triple clamp?

If so the opposite of twitchy/quicker steering because
sliding the forks up into the triple clamp changes rake/trail & makes the bike quicker steering which is something I dont care for myself.
Looses its neutral turn in feel & has a ledge where the bike goes from neutral feel to falling into turn at a different rate at some point in teh lean.

That of course is just my opinion of having raised the forks into the triple an extra 3/8" or so to accommodate some top side clip-ons.
I disliked it so much after two rides sold those clip-ons :)

But sounds like your going the other direction so I would "expect" slower steering.

http://bikearama.com/theory/motorcycle-rake-trail-explained/

ForceofWill
February 24th, 2014, 07:23 PM
glad to hear they worked well and they seem to be reasonably priced which makes this an even better budget mod.

If anyone else does the shock mod can you do some before and after measurements of some things so we are not just shooting in the dark here?

I am going to do it, but probably won't get to it for a week or 2 at best

I plan on doing a full DIY with pics and measurements when I get mine in. Maybe this weekend since they should be here by Thursday.

Aodrn
February 24th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I think opposite of twitchy...Although I may be confused by what you wrote
First you said drop the forks then later raise the front so I am thinking you meant slide the forks down into the top triple clamp?

If so the opposite of twitchy/quicker steering because
sliding the forks up into the triple clamp decreases rake & makes the bike quicker steering which is something I dont care for myself.
Looses its neutral turn in feel & has a ledge where the bike goes from neutral feel to falling into turn at a different rate at some point in teh lean.

That of course is just my opinion of having raised the forks into the triple an extra 3/8" or so to accommodate some top side clip-ons.
I disliked it so much after two rides sold those clip-ons :)

But sounds like your going the other direction so I would "expect" slower steering.

Raising the front would slow the steering, but I want to also raise the rear. The smallest raise on the rear is 1". Raise the rear 1" and the front 1/4" would give a steering effect of 3/4" raise of the rear. I just dont know how steep an angle I can have before the handling is too twitchy.

mania
February 24th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Raising the front would slow the steering, but I want to also raise the rear. The smallest raise on the rear is 1". Raise the rear 1" and the front 1/4" would give a steering effect of 3/4" raise of the rear. I just dont know how steep an angle I can have before the handling is too twitchy.

I do not think raising or lowering the rear has the effect on steering
Has an effect on chassis front/rear weighting I imagine.
But raising or lowering the rear does not change rake/trail afaik

Edit: Oops my bad :)
"Rear suspension – lowering it will increase rake and trail" (http://bikearama.com/theory/motorcycle-rake-trail-explained/)

Klondike1020
February 24th, 2014, 09:58 PM
This would be great for street fighter builds!

sharky nrk
February 25th, 2014, 11:10 AM

I have the rexbo dogbones on stock rear shock lifting the rear of the bike. It is great, not overly twitchy but even more responsive. I could have dropped the forks but I wanted to raise the bike slightly as well rather than drop the front for the geometry change.

Aodrn
February 25th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I have the rexbo dogbones on stock rear shock lifting the rear of the bike. It is great, not overly twitchy but even more responsive. I could have dropped the forks but I wanted to raise the bike slightly as well rather than drop the front for the geometry change.

Rexbo made 1.25" rise didn't he?

sharky nrk
February 25th, 2014, 12:30 PM
they were 156mm eye to eye, not sure off the top of my head what that amounted to in lift on the stock shock. I know that is was a lift even with the GSXR shock so they should be at least the 1.25 units, maybe even closer to the 1.5

sharky nrk
February 25th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I know that even with the 156 mm bones, people raising the fork legs out of the triples so the 1.25 unit will NOT be too twitchy on the stock shock with stock fork height

Aodrn
February 25th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I know that even with the 156 mm bones, people raising the fork legs out of the triples so the 1.25 unit will NOT be too twitchy on the stock shock with stock fork height

Well....now maybe I will bypass the 1" and go 1.25". Although my tire is the bigger 140 pirelli. That may make a difference as well. Maybe I will just get a gixxer shock and I can pretend I didnt jack this thread like it was in GTA.

Xtina
February 25th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I was under the impression that the gsxr shock was the same height. No one else has mentioned it except this thread to my knowledge. I even heard in some threads it raises it. So how much lower is it actually?

ChrisJuliano
February 25th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Mine is a 2009, and at my body weight (155) to get my sag within 1.5-1.75" I had to spin out all the preload (which lowers the bike, more preload raises it up), so if your a bigger person then it may actually raise it up.

ForceofWill
February 25th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Alright so my shock came in today. Still waiting on the dogbones I ordered though.

This is the best I could get for now for measurements eye to eye. Mine's from an 06-07 600.

http://i.imgur.com/2enSg2j.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7zOpBBK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3DEg9AP.jpg

My ruler ends just before the eye. Seems to be right at the bottom of the lettering.

So +/- 2 mm I'd say
http://i.imgur.com/G63kwZH.jpg

ForceofWill
February 25th, 2014, 04:03 PM
~315 ish mm

quarterliter
February 25th, 2014, 05:43 PM
How different are the pregen bones to the new gen ones?

sharky nrk
February 25th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Mine is a 2009, and at my body weight (155) to get my sag within 1.5-1.75" I had to spin out all the preload (which lowers the bike, more preload raises it up), so if your a bigger person then it may actually raise it up.

Either way it seems the bike benefits from being propped up on its nose a bit, both with the stocker and gsxr shock

Somchai
February 25th, 2014, 11:58 PM
...which put me at 26.5" total distance from the center of the chain tensioner...

Chris wouldn't it be better to measure from the center of the rear axle because that's the reference point from where the bike touches the ground? Just my guess...

sharky nrk, thank's for the information and with that what Rexbo said I see that my quick drawn picture was not so much wrong, because I've got 10mm where Rexbo has the measured number of 9mm (shock vs dog bones). :thumbup:

ChrisJuliano
February 26th, 2014, 03:19 AM
I didnt know where everyone measured so I just used an easy point of reference so others could measure theirs and determine what setup they want to order.

subxero
February 26th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Here two more helpful threads regarding the GSXR shock. Figured it is nice to have some of this stuff in one location :thumbup:

Cheap things to do to make your gsxr shock better
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126734

dialing in your gsxr shock
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123572

another potential useful link
unit conversion chart
http://www.huskyclub.com/springs.htm

subxero
February 28th, 2014, 02:02 PM
just sold a few things on ebay, money should clear in a day or two and then I am going to start buying everything to rebuild my suspension front and rear.

Game plan for now is, springs and emulators for the front, gsxr shock for the rear, new rear spring for my weight, and the doggy bones to make it work.

Should be pretty solid when all is said and done.

ForceofWill how are things going with the shock?

ForceofWill
February 28th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Haven't got the dog bones yet. Paid him Saturday but no shipping confirmation yet so dunno. Once I get them I'll be starting.

ChrisJuliano
February 28th, 2014, 07:51 PM
When it came to shipping I got nothing, basically ordered it and got no email.

It took him about 2 weeks to get mine, but then again he also did have to make mine custom, not sure if he made a bunch yet or not.

ForceofWill
February 28th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Ok cool thanks. I'm hoping its soon since he has the measurements now.

subxero
March 6th, 2014, 09:34 AM
ForceofWill did you give this guy measurements for your dogbones you want, or measurments on shock ect...?

Once you get your dog bones from this guy do you think you could gets some measurements on them for me?

ForceofWill
March 6th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Just got the dogbones in today from him. I'll get the measurements. He said he had them already for 1" and 1.25" raise so I just ordered it like that.

ForceofWill
March 6th, 2014, 03:30 PM
So the +1.25 look right at 156mm middle of eye to eye and the +1 look like 158.5mm to me.

ChrisJuliano
March 7th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Good info!!!

ChrisJuliano
March 13th, 2014, 02:29 AM
I have been riding on mine recently, its raised up a little from what it was stock feels PERFECT! 1.25" raise

DCMoney
March 13th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I have been riding on mine recently, its raised up a little from what it was stock feels PERFECT! 1.25" raise

Thanks for the update!

subxero
March 13th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I'm gonna cut and drill some 1.25" riser dogbones probably this weekend for my gsxr swap mod. After I do some measurements I might make mine a little shorter eye to eye ~2.5mm = ~1/4" in height change so I might drill 157mm eye to eye time will tell

I should have enough T6 for at least 2 sets, meaning an extra set if anyone is interested shoot me a PM I could let them go pretty cheap and ill send them priority so you will get them in a few days and not have to wait. Given I don't ef up the first set :thumbup:

Now keep in mind these won't be show piece material, nothing fancy here, they will be cut, drilled, deburred and painted black.

ForceofWill
March 13th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Just measured mine, sitting right at 26.5" from the bottom of the swingarm to the tip of the tail fairing pieces. You said you're at 26.5" from the middle of the rear axle?

ChrisJuliano
March 13th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Mine was measured from the middle of the chain tensioning bolt.

chris 25Or
March 14th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I just ordered a set.

ForceofWill
March 14th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I just ordered a set.

:thumbup:

Don't worry if you don't hear from them. Both of us never heard from them after ordering but they came about a week to a week and a half later.

DaveTheCanuck
March 24th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Possibly silly question but... do the 250 and 300 share the same stock shock?

Or in other words, do these measurements apply to both bikes? I just installed my gsxr shock this weekend and want to raise the rear back to stock, since it looks like it's sagging a bit lower now. Wondering if the 1.25" raise link will do the job on the 300 as well.

ChrisJuliano
March 24th, 2014, 11:53 AM
The one he sells now I think is 1.25 and 1.5, so if they share the same dimmensions then that would be awesome to know! Ill be interested in the answer

InvisiBill
April 14th, 2014, 09:34 PM
So the +1.25 look right at 156mm middle of eye to eye and the +1 look like 158.5mm to me.

I'm gonna cut and drill some 1.25" riser dogbones probably this weekend for my gsxr swap mod. After I do some measurements I might make mine a little shorter eye to eye ~2.5mm = ~1/4" in height change so I might drill 157mm eye to eye time will tell

FYI, the 39111-1133 (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-39111-1133.html) dogbones used on the Gen2 EX500 are 157.5mm eye to eye. A lot of EX500 owners buy shorter dogbones from FOG to raise the rear end for quicker steering (similar to the topic of this thread), so you might be able to find some for cheap/free (though $17 still isn't bad). Both the 250 and 500 use the same sleeves through the knuckle and swingarm, but the 500 uses 100mm long bolts (92002-1886 (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-92002-1886.html)) while the 250's are 98mm (92153-1831 (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-92153-1831.html)), so the 500 dogbones might possibly be a bit thicker or something.

subxero
April 15th, 2014, 04:31 AM
InvisiBill good info :thumbup:

Thickness of dog bones should not matter to much for the gsxr shock swap as you need spacers to get the bones to clear the new spring. So you have to buy longer bolts anyway.

chris 25Or
April 18th, 2014, 08:58 PM
:thumbup:

Don't worry if you don't hear from them. Both of us never heard from them after ordering but they came about a week to a week and a half later.

I e-mail them and got no response, but I got them about 2 weeks later.

Thanks

kirk595x
April 18th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Burkhart Cycle has the 08-12 250 listed on his site but does anyone know if it would fit a Pre-Gen? I just did a Zx-6 Air Shock swap and it lowered it quite a bit.

InvisiBill
April 19th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Thickness of dog bones should not matter to much for the gsxr shock swap as you need spacers to get the bones to clear the new spring. So you have to buy longer bolts anyway.

Does anyone happen to know how much clearance you need to add to the dogbones to clear the larger spring? As you can see in the pic below of the EX500 Gen2 FOGbones, he bumped out the center section instead of leaving them perfectly straight. That little bit is enough for us to clear the larger springs that we commonly use. FOG charges a bit more (~$45 a set last I knew), but I'm sure he could whip some up if you gave him an eye-to-eye length (he has standard "raise your EX500 to the best height" bones but also does custom lengths). Some people might prefer to pay a bit more for PnP bones rather than deal with longer bolts and spacers and such, if a bowed dogbone like this could work for the GSXR shock too.

And on that note, is there a difference between these two?
2008-2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Raising links, Dogbones 27205 (http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_34&products_id=204)
2008-2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R-GSXR shock swap Raising links 27205B (http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_34&products_id=205)

I thought maybe the GSXR ones might have a bow in them to provide some extra room or something, but the description doesn't mention anything about the construction being different. The GSXR model just has a couple longer length options than the regular one.

Burkhart Cycle has the 08-12 250 listed on his site but does anyone know if it would fit a Pre-Gen? I just did a Zx-6 Air Shock swap and it lowered it quite a bit.

NewGen and PreGen are totally different.

Looking at the parts fiche (http://www.kawasaki.com/SITE/VIVEHICLEINFORMATION/VIepc-launch.asp?searchModel=EX250), the PreGen appears to use a more complex dogbone than the NewGen. The Gen1 and Gen2 EX500s use different bones too, and the PreGen's look similar to the Gen1's (though it's not the exact same part number).

Gen1
http://www.invisibill.net/ninja/1st%20gen%20DB.jpg

Gen2
http://www.invisibill.net/ninja/2nd%20gen%20DB.jpg

subxero
April 19th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Does anyone happen to know how much clearance you need to add to the dogbones to clear the larger spring? As you can see in the pic below of the EX500 Gen2 FOGbones, he bumped out the center section instead of leaving them perfectly straight. That little bit is enough for us to clear the larger springs that we commonly use. FOG charges a bit more (~$45 a set last I knew), but I'm sure he could whip some up if you gave him an eye-to-eye length (he has standard "raise your EX500 to the best height" bones but also does custom lengths). Some people might prefer to pay a bit more for PnP bones rather than deal with longer bolts and spacers and such, if a bowed dogbone like this could work for the GSXR shock too.

NewGen and PreGen are totally different.

Its a good bit, People were using 1/2" nuts as spacers or something similar and you figure they have to be close to 3/8th wide give or take. One on each side

edit: There is tons of info buried in this thread, but here is a particular post that you might find helpful from it

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=284255&postcount=166

warning
May 7th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know if the rear linkage on the 250r and the ninja 300 are the same?

Tiller
January 24th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Could someone confirm the oem link center to center on the 250. The the ones I have, have been drilled. I come up with 164.5mm 6.476''.

I made some at 155mm for a race bike and it seamed to work. I'm trying to figure out from the oem piece and the info in the earlier post the amount of change per 1mm. 158.5 for 1'' and 156mm for 1 1/4' . That would be 6mm per 1'' or .1666 per 1mm. If I figure 8.5mm shorter for the 1 1/4'' rise links it comes to 1.416'' rise. So to me the numbers don't work unless it has something to do with an angle change as the link become shorter so the relationship between link length and swing arm at the axle would not be linear.

Somchai
January 24th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Could someone confirm the oem link center to center on the 250. The the ones I have, have been drilled. I come up with 164.5mm 6.476''.

Hi Bruce, if you talk about the new-gen (2008-2012) then your right, the center to center measurement is 165 mm.

Tiller
January 24th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Hi Bruce, if you talk about the new-gen (2008-2012) then your right, the center to center measurement is 165 mm.

No, that would mean I'm a half mm short. So 165, let me play with the calculator.

DmbShn41
July 13th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Hate to dig up an old thread, but correct me if I'm wrong, the change of dog bone length and how that relates to overall rear height of the bike is not constant, right? Because this relates to the rear, and it pivots. I'm trying to map this in my head. Thanks.