View Full Version : Chain and Sprocket Question

RandomPhantom
February 24th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Hi there fellow ninjetters, I have a question concerning how to buy the appropriate chain and sprocket for my 08 ninja 250r. What is stock teeth for sprockets front and rear? What chain should be correct? i did a little bit of research and came up with 520 106 link chain (whatever that means) Noob here in need of help :doh: Thanks!

PS is this brand any good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2012-Kawasaki-EX250-Ninja-250R-O-Ring-Chain-and-Sprocket-Kit-Gold-/181097980748?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AKawasaki%7CModel%3ANinja+250R&hash=item2a2a47e34c&vxp=mtr

csmith12
February 24th, 2014, 09:15 PM
14 front
45 rear
106/520 chain

RandomPhantom
February 25th, 2014, 01:10 AM
One more question how does adding or subtracting teeth from sprockets work?

tfkrocks
February 25th, 2014, 01:17 AM
520 refers to chain size (thickness). The 106 links is how long the chain is. I would stick with major tried-and-true brands for chains, like RK or D.I.D. I like D.I.D. chains.

Adding to the front or subtracting from the rear will increase top speed and reduce acceleration (good for commuting). Subtracting from the front or adding to the rear does the opposite. Changing the gearing could potentially create the need for a longer chain depending on what you do. 15T front is popular for improving the useability of 1st gear, making commuting a little nicer, and does not need a longer chain.

RandomPhantom
February 25th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Thank you very much for the help, one last question im checking out the chains on amazon right now and i see 520xxx (x representing some sort of letter like for the RK's there is 520SO or GB520XSO) does these letters matter even if the chain is still 520 and 106 links?

tfkrocks
February 25th, 2014, 01:35 AM
Thank you very much for the help, one last question im checking out the chains on amazon right now and i see 520xxx (x representing some sort of letter like for the RK's there is 520SO or GB520XSO) does these letters matter even if the chain is still 520 and 106 links?

Those just refer to the chain model. All the chain brands will have different levels of quality. In the case of RK's SO is o-ring, XSO is x-ring, and GB means gold chain. Similar naming convention applies to D.I.D. Get an o-ring or x-ring chain; the cheapest chains won't have the o-/x-rings and will wear out much faster. Most chains seem to come with a clip-style master link. I would highly recommend buying the matching rivet-style master link to use instead.

I have a gold D.I.D. XV2 chain and it's been great. Haven't had to adjust it at all for a few thousand miles; I just keep it lubed and clean. ~$70 on amazon.

RandomPhantom
February 25th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Those just refer to the chain model. All the chain brands will have different levels of quality. Get an o-ring or x-ring chain; the cheapest chains won't have the o-/x-rings and will wear out much faster. Most brands don't really do plain o-ring chains any more you'll have to get an x-ring chain. In the case of RK's SO is o-ring, XSO is x-ring, and GB means gold chain. Similar naming convention applies to D.I.D.

I have a D.I.D. XV2 chain and it's been great. Haven't had to adjust it at all for a few thousand miles; I just keep it lubed and clean. ~$70 on amazon. Most chains seem to come with a clip-style master link. I would highly recommend buying the matching rivet-style master link to use instead.

thank you very much for your help :D