View Full Version : pricing on 08 ninja 250?

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 04:49 AM
there's a blue with 1000+ miles. warranty expired on 4/13. good time protection is good till 4/13/12. crack mirror. asking for $3800. How much can i offer for this bike? what's good time protection?

Thanks all,
Tin

Rynownd
April 9th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Im not sure what the good time protection is, but I got my '08 with 911 miles on it for $900 less dollars than that. So, I would never consider paying $3800. I do, however, feel like I got a great deal, but I wouldn't pay more than $3500 for a 250 that wasn't rolling off the show room floor.

smcbride11
April 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM
$3800's too much... Remember, you need to pay sales tax on book value at the DMV (and kbb.com has an '08 250R at $2695), so you'd be paying a touch over $4000 to pick it up plus whatever registration fees you have to pay in NJ. He's trying to make you pay for the premium and tax he paid back then the dealers were marking them all up.

By contrast, I bought my '09 for $4200 OTD (tax and title and all included) in September.

I'd personally be looking around $3k for an '08 - they're two years old now and only went for $3500 new, IIRC.

EDIT: Good Times protection is their enhanced warranty. That might make the bike worth more for you, but it's only worth what you'd pay for it. Because I'm trying to learn how to operate a wrench as well as learning to ride, it wouldn't be worth anything for me personally.

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys.

I guess I will have to be patient and wait.
They are so hard to find around here.
Around what time of the year is a good time to buy a bike?
I offer $3200 but I still feel that's a high price.
I'll wait and not jump on the first offer.

Thanks again.

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
$3k whoa?

You also have to remember 250's are in high demand...

00v_Lucky
April 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM
oh and remember that if they advertise warranty, the warranty does not transfer over owners just like that. You need to go into the dealership and get it situated with them with the previous owner. just an fyi

smcbride11
April 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM
$3k whoa?

You also have to remember 250's are in high demand...

In this area, they don't appear to be... Both of my local Kawi dealers have '09 250s in stock (and have never had a wait list), and I've seen clean '06 and '07s as low as $1750. That might change once it gets warm (today hit 60 - first day we've seen that warm since October), but with gas down at $2 again we may not see as big a demand spike as we did last year.

Obviously, YMMV, but when I say I wouldn't offer more than $3k that's with the benefit of the above information. That is $400 above KBB's retail price, after all.

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM

1432Ok.
She replied back and said to come see the bike and bring $3200.
I live in NJ and the bike is in NYC. I will meet up with her this sat to check it out.
one of the mirror is crack. Do you think I can talk her down to $3000?

how do i upload pic?

Alex
April 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
how do i upload pic?

This thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5611) shows how to load pics to this site.

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Thanks Alex.

here are some pics

the girl said the bike never drop. it leaned over and hit the fence and cracked the mirror.
any opinion?

Rynownd
April 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM
OH yeah! It's blue! I like the fender mod too.

HKr1
April 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Dam, those allens sure rust up from weather. < holding the bars on :eek:

kkim
April 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
use craiglist and the local paper to determine the market value in your area. if that bike were here, it would be gone is a second.

I'd check out the bike and see if it runs as well as she says it does, ask her why she's selling and play up the replacement cost for the broken pieces. even at 3200, that's a decent deal if you like the color. you can always fix the stuff as they become available on ebay.

did she have the 600 mile check done? if not, factor that into the pricing. if she did, that's a good sign she was diligent with the bike and that the oil have been changed.

gl... let us know what you decide.

hogfan83
April 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
pay for shipping and buy my 2009 S.E. for the same price....factory warranty for another 10 months..

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
she said she just had the oil change and the k&n filter.

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
pay for shipping and buy my 2009 S.E. for the same price....factory warranty for another 10 months..

how much is the shipping cost?

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Dam, those allens sure rust up from weather. < holding the bars on :eek:

thanks for pointing it out.
i didn't even notice.

kkim
April 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
she said she just had the oil change and the k&n filter.

and has the documentation to prove it? if so, I'd say the bike is worth taking a look at and making an offer. take 3k in large bills and 200 in smaller bills. work out a price and then you'll have the exact amount you settle on.

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
and has the documentation to prove it? if so, I'd say the bike is worth taking a look at and making an offer. take 3k in large bills and 200 in smaller bills. work out a price and then you'll have the exact amount you settle on.

how much does a 600 mile service cost?
thanks for the tip.
i've watch some video on utube and they say exactly the same. divide up the money in multiple pockets and work up.

Alex
April 9th, 2009, 05:30 PM
the girl said the bike never drop. it leaned over and hit the fence and cracked the mirror.
any opinion?

Personally? I find that unlikely. Leaning over and hitting a fence isn't going to crack a mirror and break the end of the lever off. It hit the ground. Now whether hitting the ground once is a dealbreaker is a different story, but it may help you get a better deal.

JaeL
April 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM

I would only take $3000, look up the prices to replace those parts and have the numbers documentation with you. And don't forget it's been left out in the rain more than a couple times. I dunno about you guys but I dry my baby off when she gets into the garage after she's been in the rain bc im ANAL ABOUT MY BIKE. Depending on the person, it could really show what kinda care the owner put or didn't put into it.

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
yea i call bs in fence too.

JaeL
April 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM
yea i call bs in fence too.

it coulda been a mean fence...

miks
April 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM

You should consider this fellas bike, unless you really really love the blue. Sounds reasonable, unless shipping is like 1million dollars.

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Greyhound and ride it back.
Only 1100 miles :D

miks
April 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Greyhound and ride it back.
Only 1100 miles :D

If he wants a bike that much, you never know!

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah definitely look into that whole mirror situation. I've hit my mirrors a few times pretty hard and all Ive gotten were some minor scratches on the black part. It would have to hit pretty hard or at a really wierd angle to crack the glass. Really inspect the side of the bike with the cracked mirror.

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Personally? I find that unlikely. Leaning over and hitting a fence isn't going to crack a mirror and break the end of the lever off. It hit the ground. Now whether hitting the ground once is a dealbreaker is a different story, but it may help you get a better deal.

Thanks again.
I couldn't figure what that last pic was.
now i know it's the end of the lever.
How much would it cost to replace the mirror and the lever?

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 06:59 PM
You should consider this fellas bike, unless you really really love the blue. Sounds reasonable, unless shipping is like 1million dollars.

I wouldn't mind the green.
Black is my first choice but these ninjas are so rare here, so color isn't important anymore. I think he was joking about selling his 09 se.

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 06:59 PM
mirror and the lever itself won't cost that much.
It's the fact that it's been dropped, which might have hidden damage.

miks
April 9th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't mind the green.
Black is my first choice but these ninjas are so rare here, so color isn't important anymore. I think he was joking about selling his 09 se.

Actually he's not joking, he's really selling due to a baby.

Heres the link,

Hogfan83's bike (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16021)

tinng321
April 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Actually he's not joking, he's really selling due to a baby.

Heres the link,

Hogfan83's bike (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16021)

oh ok.

thanks,
I made an offer of 3500 delivered.

miks
April 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM

How much would the shipping cost be from where he lives to where you live?

lavid2002
April 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM
shes missing nuts on her exhaust

tinng321
April 10th, 2009, 06:00 AM
shes missing nuts on her exhaust

how many nuts does it supposed to have?
does it mean she've had an aftermarket exhaust?

smcbride11
April 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
How much would it cost to replace the mirror and the lever?

Assuming you do the work yourself (and it'll take about 25 minutes total, assuming it's your first time removing your fairings), it's about $55. Not a big deal.

For reference, though, I lowsided at about 15 mph and only scuffed my brake lever and folded the mirror in... didn't even scratch the plastic on the mirror. Check the turn signal on that side too - it's likely either been replaced or doesn't work, because I don't know how you could hit the brake and mirror that hard and not have the fairing and signal hit also.

tinng321
April 12th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Ok, I went to see the bike today.
It was dropped definitely.
she wants 3100.
there's a tiny crack on the left fairing and a tiny chip on the left rear plastic.
should I buy it? or wait?
need responses now..
thanks all...

kkim
April 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
pictures of the damage?

JaeL
April 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I still think that a lil high..... But if you have money to burn and want a summer project then go for it. I bet by the time its said and done you will have made it back up to the original msrp $3499. For a two year old bike with 1000+ miles......

tinng321
April 12th, 2009, 01:23 PM
pictures of the damage?

i didn't take picture.

yeah.
i don't want to spend the summer fixing this and that so I've decided to wait till the next opportunity.
if you guys know anyone selling around here please let me know.
thanks all.

JaeL
April 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM
i didn't take picture.

yeah.
i don't want to spend the summer fixing this and that so I've decided to wait till the next opportunity.
if you guys know anyone selling around here please let me know.
thanks all.

I wouldn't take you terribly long given there no other unseen damage. And I rode my bike for a month before I got it fixed just because that all that was left of the season. Doing ya own mods and repairs on a bike teaches you alot! Just don't over pay.

chess
April 12th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Seems pretty high to me. I just got my 09 for $3960 out the door, and I didn't even haggle. I can't imagine the dealer margin being high enough on these bikes to make haggling worthwhile...plus I really wanted it and can afford it.

I also don't pay sales tax, which helps. My tags and title should be about $50.

If you absolutely have to get a used one, you'll probably have to be very patient to get the right deal. I'd probably just keep an eye on Craigslist.

tinng321
April 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Seems pretty high to me. I just got my 09 for $3960 out the door, and I didn't even haggle. I can't imagine the dealer margin being high enough on these bikes to make haggling worthwhile...plus I really wanted it and can afford it.

I also don't pay sales tax, which helps. My tags and title should be about $50.

If you absolutely have to get a used one, you'll probably have to be very patient to get the right deal. I'd probably just keep an eye on Craigslist.

$3960 out the door?
are you serious?
what about $349 crate charge and $199 prep.
and no tax?
the cheapest i could get is $4600 out the door.

tinng321
April 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
i just did a quick google and the sales and use tax in Wichita Falls is 8.25%.
how did you manage not to pay tax?
:confused:

tinng321
April 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
by the way.
i've decided not to buy that bike.
i will go see 2 other bikes this weekend.
a green and a black.

chess
April 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
i just did a quick google and the sales and use tax in Wichita Falls is 8.25%.
how did you manage not to pay tax?
:confused:

I'm a military officer and Florida resident. The law is that if I buy a vehicle outside of Florida, I don't pay FL tax on it.

So I keep all of my vehicles titled and tagged in FL.

Plus they don't have front license plates, which makes my MX-5 happy. :)

chess
April 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
$3960 out the door?
are you serious?
what about $349 crate charge and $199 prep.
and no tax?
the cheapest i could get is $4600 out the door.

I just told them I wanted to get out the door for MSRP and didn't care how they broke it down. Here's what's on my sales ticket:

$3699 bike
$200 dealer prep and freight
$5 temp tags
$50 doc fee
$7.21 vehicle inventory tax (not sure what this is)

Total: $3961.21

I also just sent FL a check for ~$55 for title and tag transfer from my Virago.

I'm not bragging, and believe me, I didn't negotiate very hard at all. It probably didn't hurt that I left them with the impression that I was the kind of guy who'd be back for a CBR in a year, though I can't imagine that happening. :)

Good luck out there!

sometimesido
April 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
"crate charge" and "prep fee" can be waved at some dealer.

tinng321
April 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I just told them I wanted to get out the door for MSRP and didn't care how they broke it down. Here's what's on my sales ticket:

$3699 bike
$200 dealer prep and freight
$5 temp tags
$50 doc fee
$7.21 vehicle inventory tax (not sure what this is)

Total: $3961.21

I also just sent FL a check for ~$55 for title and tag transfer from my Virago.

I'm not bragging, and believe me, I didn't negotiate very hard at all. It probably didn't hurt that I left them with the impression that I was the kind of guy who'd be back for a CBR in a year, though I can't imagine that happening. :)

Good luck out there!

why can't we have something like that here.
great deal...