View Full Version : I'm short! Anyone else??

LilMiss
February 26th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I rea the thread about lowering the bike. I'm preparing to order the kit to do it. My question is, I am 4'10. Anybody else this short had success?

NevadaWolf
February 26th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I know there are short riders on here, so you should be able to find some advice. Though I have found its mostly about inseam vs height. I'm 5'4" with a 29" inseam, found a few guys who are taller than me with the same inseam.

LittleRedNinjette has lowered her bike so she may have some advice in that direction.

nickjpass
February 26th, 2014, 04:05 PM
There are also other options, like customizing your seat and such. Can you touch the ground at all? One toe at least?

csmith12
February 26th, 2014, 04:09 PM
My wife is your height. Shaving the seats height as well as width will go a long way.

NevadaWolf
February 26th, 2014, 04:15 PM
One of the things I want to do is get some blocks (?) that move my rearsets back a bit so I can put my feet straight down vs having to go around the pegs.

LittleRedNinjette
February 26th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I used the roaring toyz kit on both my bikes. Its a great setup with the links and the blocks.

Whats your stand over? Mine is 26" or 27" depending on my boots. I have the links at the middle hole and works well for me, not completely flat footed but i like it there.

You can also put a ZX600A '85-'87 rear shock on. That drops it a good bit more. and its a detect bolt on, think we just needed a couple extra washers.

Hope this is helpful! :thumbup:

LittleRedNinjette
February 26th, 2014, 04:27 PM
One of the things I want to do is get some blocks (?) that move my rearsets back a bit so I can put my feet straight down vs having to go around the pegs.

I did this to!

And a saddlemen low seat. These are super comfy!

LilMiss
February 26th, 2014, 04:40 PM
My inseam is 27 without shoes on. I can toe the bike on both sides, but not balls of feet, which I would we comfortable with even if I can't flat foot quite.

CC Cowboy
February 26th, 2014, 04:41 PM
What ever happened to platform shoes? I guess you have to ride the pole to wear them!

LittleRedNinjette
February 26th, 2014, 04:48 PM
My inseam is 27 without shoes on. I can toe the bike on both sides, but not balls of feet, which I would we comfortable with even if I can't flat foot quite.

You sould be fine then, i would go with the seat and the kit. :D

What ever happened to platform shoes? I guess you have to ride the pole to wear them!

Smart-ass strikes again! :lol:

But yes, some hiding wedge riding boots would probably help too.

LilMiss
February 26th, 2014, 04:55 PM
I used the roaring toyz kit on both my bikes. Its a great setup with the links and the blocks.

Whats your stand over? Mine is 26" or 27" depending on my boots. I have the links at the middle hole and works well for me, not completely flat footed but i like it there.

You can also put a ZX600A '85-'87 rear shock on. That drops it a good bit more. and its a detect bolt on, think we just needed a couple extra washers.

Hope this is helpful! :thumbup:

Roaring Toyz is what I was going to buy. Not sure on my stand over, I can check tonight.

Brian
February 26th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I rea the thread about lowering the bike. I'm preparing to order the kit to do it. My question is, I am 4'10. Anybody else this short had success?

I'm 2'4" and I have no problem with my ninja.

:rolleyes: Only kidding.

There are a lot of customization options, but it's important to make sure that when you're done with it you can plant your two feet on the ground firmly or at least get a good hold with your tippy toes so ya don't fall over and die :)

LilMiss
February 26th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I'm 2'4" and I have no problem with my ninja.

:rolleyes: Only kidding.

There are a lot of customization options, but it's important to make sure that when you're done with it you can plant your two feet on the ground firmly or at least get a good hold with your tippy toes so ya don't fall over and die :)

Lol. My end goal is not dying, so I definitely agree with you there. What have you done to your bike? Well I just read that you are Brian, not LittleRedNinjette. So if you didn't shorten your bike I understand. Haha

Brian
February 26th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Lol. My end goal is not dying, so I definitely agree with you there. What have you done to your bike?

:amen:

Just an exhaust muffler upgrade and a ZG windscreen. No problem with height though, I'm actually 5'10 :cool:. Really looking forward to a better fender eliminator kit then the sawed off one from the previous owner(s). Also a seat cowl and better headlights in the future once I stop being broke.

tfkrocks
February 27th, 2014, 12:02 AM
My inseam is about 28", potentially slightly less haha. I've been riding a stock height new-gen 250 and 300 with no problems; I only use one foot when stopping. However, I learned to ride on a lowered pre-gen 250 and I'm glad I learned on the lowered bike.

If you're learning to ride, lowering the bike could be useful in gaining experience and confidence. I would keep the stock parts in case you want to raise the bike back up later when you're more comfortable riding. Be careful not to lower the bike too much or you might run into issues there.

LilMiss
February 27th, 2014, 12:10 AM
My inseam is about 28", potentially slightly less haha. I've been riding a stock height new-gen 250 and 300 with no problems; I only use one foot when stopping. However, I learned to ride on a lowered pre-gen 250 and I'm glad I learned on the lowered bike.

If you're learning to ride, lowering the bike could be useful in gaining experience and confidence. I would keep the stock parts in case you want to raise the bike back up later when you're more comfortable riding. Be careful not to lower the bike too much or you might run into issues there.

Thanks! I am just learning to ride. Been the passenger for a year and a half and am finally in the drivers seat this summer. I definitely like the stock height, and will probably put it back after I'm comfortable. I'm only going to lower it as much as I need to.

NevadaWolf
February 27th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Just keep in mind that you do not need to flat foot both sides. You already said you were aiming for just getting the balls of your feet down which is good.

After awhile of practice, you'll find that you can safely stop with just one foot down, keeping the other on the brake. With just a very slight lean to the left, i can keep my foot stable on the ground while waiting at a light or in traffic.

Just another idea to work towards if you want.

mikedabike64
February 27th, 2014, 09:57 AM
I never had an issue of tippy toeing my bikes, save a dip in the road here and there but, the thought of lowering it just spooks me a little bit I don't know if that's changing the geometry of the bike, or ground clearance issue

I always towed it on all of my bikes, if nothing else it build your calves jk :)
and since I do more riding at the track then on the street, it is really a non-issue because once you start going you don't get off of your bike until you're back by your truck and who cares if you fall off there.
I did notice in the summertime if your pants stick to your legs, you have to be careful throwing a leg over it he he.

Rogue
February 27th, 2014, 10:49 AM

I would love to move mine back a bit so I can gain that little bit and stop having so many bruises from banging into the darn things. Please let me know if you get this worked out.

You sould be fine then, i would go with the seat and the kit. :D

Smart-ass strikes again! :lol:

But yes, some hiding wedge riding boots would probably help too.

I suggest either the Daytona Ladystars (or M Stars - same boot for both women & men, just different size ranges is all) to gain some height.

Or, if you don't want to spend quite that much on boots (though they are awesome and supremely well made), then you might try the Dainese Sirens. I have the Dainese and they add almost an inch to my inseam. It was the difference between just getting my tippy toes down and having the ball of my foot firmly planted on my 300.

LittleRedNinjette
February 27th, 2014, 11:00 AM
The cost of boots is the only thing keeping me from getting them. But my work boots are thick soled and give me a bit of height.

And they were free. :bounce:

fr1dayn1ght
February 27th, 2014, 11:33 AM
im 5'6 and im still having trouble with tip toe-ing the 250 (mostly backing out parking slot), my friend is same height but idk how he can ride a stock R6 without even lowering kit! I saw the way he tip toe the R6 just like those ballet dancer...
I guess short rider and high bike is possible

nickjpass
February 27th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I rode a full size mx bike. When i came to a stop, i needed to lean the bike over t0 tip toe on one side. I'm 5'9". Really the only trouble would be parking lot maneuvers...

LittleRedNinjette
February 27th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Height isn't the biggest factor (i'm 5'1" :p) its the standover height. I have stubby legs, but someone else the same height may be all legs thus a higher standover. Its all in how one is built. :thumbup:

NevadaWolf
March 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
LilMiss, if greenswoave hasn't found a home for them yet and you haven't ordered your kit, check out this thread offering the Roaring Toyz Front Lowering Kit for free

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166515

antiant
March 2nd, 2014, 09:58 AM
im 5'6 and im still having trouble with tip toe-ing the 250 (mostly backing out parking slot), my friend is same height but idk how he can ride a stock R6 without even lowering kit! I saw the way he tip toe the R6 just like those ballet dancer...
I guess short rider and high bike is possibleYour height doesn't matter, what matters is your inseam. People can be the same height and one person can be more leg, more torso, etc. Your inseam is what makes the difference and how you're proportioned. :)

Edit: Just saw this...

Height isn't the biggest factor (i'm 5'1" :p) its the standover height. I have stubby legs, but someone else the same height may be all legs thus a higher standover. Its all in how one is built. :thumbup::whatshesaid:

tfkrocks
March 2nd, 2014, 11:00 AM
If you are interested, I have a set of Roaring Toys lowering links. They're slightly scraped but still fine to use.

greenswoave
March 2nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
LilMiss, if greenswoave hasn't found a home for them yet and you haven't ordered your kit, check out this thread offering the Roaring Toyz Front Lowering Kit for free

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166515
Thanks for the plug. LilMiss has indeed claimed my kit.

LilMiss
March 3rd, 2014, 01:26 AM

Thanks again greenswoave!

LilMiss
March 3rd, 2014, 01:27 AM
If you are interested, I have a set of Roaring Toys lowering links. They're slightly scraped but still fine to use.

I PM'd you btw...I think. Lol

NevadaWolf
March 3rd, 2014, 01:30 AM

Always glad to help. Makes me put my endless surfing of this site to some use, :bounce:

Jax, FL eh? I may be PMing you for some local knowledge before too long. Thinking of a road trip to your neck of the woods.

Frogger
March 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I'm 5ft 2 so a bit taller... I don't recommend lowering if you ride track ... But if it's just street riding, then go for it!
If you ride track best thing to do is get the seat shaved. I have a gsxr600 and can't touch after lowering it I raised it back up, def doesn't handle the same (on track) . My 250 is much smaller and much lighter, so that helps but still only can touch one foot, so just practice and balance getting off and on.

LilMiss
March 7th, 2014, 12:55 AM
I'm 5ft 2 so a bit taller... I don't recommend lowering if you ride track ... But if it's just street riding, then go for it!
If you ride track best thing to do is get the seat shaved. I have a gsxr600 and can't touch after lowering it I raised it back up, def doesn't handle the same (on track) . My 250 is much smaller and much lighter, so that helps but still only can touch one foot, so just practice and balance getting off and on.

No track...this year anyway. My first year as a driver, so trying to learn. I dot mind tip toeing it, I've played around a little bit in the garage while waiting for a spot to open in the MSF class. I can hold her up, get on and off, but it's much more tiring doing it all on tippy toe (on one side). I just want to w comfortable and not worry about fatigue and legs that hurt like a b**** after 5 minutes while I'm learning. I'll probably put her back at stock once I'm comfortable.

408junglist
March 7th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I'm 5'0" with shoes/boots. I put the 1" roaring toyz blocks up front and the lowering links for rear. Be careful which holes you pick for the lowering links, the wrong hole will make a significant amount of height difference. I did 1" rear and the stability of the bike while cornering is barely changed at all. I am only 110lbs though.

LilMiss
March 7th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I'm 5'0" with shoes/boots. I put the 1" roaring toyz blocks up front and the lowering links for rear. Be careful which holes you pick for the lowering links, the wrong hole will make a significant amount of height difference. I did 1" rear and the stability of the bike while cornering is barely changed at all. I am only 110lbs though.

I'm 90lbs. :-) I'm going to keep the front and rear lowered at the same level. I want to change as little as possible.

rasta
March 7th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Damn, I thought I was short. You're oompa loompa short :p

LilMiss
March 7th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Yeah I know. At 4'10 and 90lbs it's not easy finding gear that fits either. Lol.

Aerio
March 7th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Yeah I know. At 4'10 and 90lbs it's not easy finding gear that fits either. Lol.

That is tiny tiny.

408junglist
March 7th, 2014, 07:39 PM

Yup I've had the same problem too. This may sound funny but most of my gear is women's gear lol but it's all black so you can't tell. My alpinestars jacket, racing boots, and full leather suit is women's. Haha

LittleRedNinjette
March 8th, 2014, 04:31 AM

You're as tiny as one of my best frends. Carful you don't get blown off!! :grouphug:

LilMiss
March 8th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Yup I've had the same problem too. This may sound funny but most of my gear is women's gear lol but it's all black so you can't tell. My alpinestars jacket, racing boots, and full leather suit is women's. Haha

All my gear is A*s too for the most part. I have the Stryker Vest and Airframe helmet from Icon. And i had to buy elbow armor and take the armour out of my jacket. The elbow armor that was in my jacket covered just below my wrost to an inch below my elbow haha.

adouglas
March 8th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Don't forget that if you lower the bike you'll probably need to shorten the kickstand too. Depends on how much you lower it.

tfkrocks
March 8th, 2014, 09:56 AM
:whathesaid: really important if you don't want your bike to tip over because someone looked at it funny. Lol I should've asked earlier and maybe given you my cut kickstand too.

snot
March 8th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I have 27" inseam, I lowered both the 250 and 300. However, after doing a track day I will be going back to stock. It does change how the bike rides. Another trick, add a pair of gel soles AND a pair of heel only gel soles to your boots. It will add an inch to your height. This is my favorite trick.

Yakaru
March 8th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I'm on the short side (5'2"), here are some tricks I use:

1. Bike shoes with a decent heel. You can even get some with a built in wedge (the best of these are Daytona's Lady Stars but those are very premium)

2. Custom seat. I got a Corbin seat made that is both lower and thinner than the stock seat. Helped a lot.

3. Rear sets. Not for feet-on-ground but I can position myself while riding far better now that my legs can reach the tank due to the higher foot pegs.

4. Don't be afraid to walk the bike. If I'm doing anything on an incline I don't duck waddle, I get off and walk it.

Originally I was going to have the bike lowered but I decided against it and am glad I did. You're even shorter than me though, so I can definitely see the appeal.

Also, here is a video about some 'short rider fixes' here you may find useful:
eYIH4_H9rsM

evidens83
March 9th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I'm 5'8" and consider myself short. My bike came used with Roaring Toyz links, blocks, and kickstand. I can set both feet on the ground comfortably with room to spare. The guy who sold it to me said it was lowered 1 1/2". I can probably raise it a notch but never bothered because I haven't had any issues as is. I'd highly recommend them if you have height issues.

alex.s
March 9th, 2014, 01:02 PM
isn't 5'8 like, average?

rojoracing53
March 9th, 2014, 01:34 PM
:lol: it must suck to be to short to even touch the ground on a bike as small as the 250. what's the stock seat height because I'd imagine my bike in nearly 3" taller then stock at this point and I can still flat foot both feet. Last time I sat on @cyclecams303 stock bike my first thought was is his rear shock blown?

NevadaWolf
March 9th, 2014, 06:58 PM
The newgen seat height is 774.7 mm (30.50 in). But the position of the pegs means you can't put your feet straight down. I end up tiptoeing right behind the pegs and using my calves to push the peg out of the way to get on the balls of my feet.

LittleRedNinjette
March 10th, 2014, 04:44 AM
Don't forget that if you lower the bike you'll probably need to shorten the kickstand too. Depends on how much you lower it.

:whathesaid: really important if you don't want your bike to tip over because someone looked at it funny. Lol I should've asked earlier and maybe given you my cut kickstand too.

Unless you lower the bike to the lowest or second to lowest setting, the Roaring Toyz kickstand is to short.

I have one of the adjustable ones on mine for now. Once I'm sure I'm happy with the height of it my boyfriend is probably going to cut down the stock stand.

Not that the adjustable one realy looks too bad I just dont know how durable they are. :idk: