View Full Version : Gears of War Graphics

dyeclan
April 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Ok, so it didn't go real great tonight, the compound curves and angles of our bikes are 'the hardest thing I've ever worked on', as my graphics guy said. In any case, he's going back to the drawing board to adapt the graphic to the complexity of the bodywork. Here's a teaser though, it's going to be really sick when it's all done. I should have it by the end of next week.

http://web.me.com/dyeclan/dyeclan/Bikes_files/gearsteaser.jpg

Snake
April 9th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Frank that looks awesome. Are there any more designs available?

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
ooh, something different!
I like!

kazam58
April 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I don't think I'd do that too my bike. But I won't lie, that looks sick!

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 05:41 PM
not going to lie, I thought about doing the blood splatter from movie, Kill Bill since my bike is yellow.

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I love Gears, but I don't think I'd put the graphics on my bike, but that's just me. Yours definitely looks good though...and original!

miks
April 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Looking good mate. IMO, you need some more white on your bike, maybe replace the 'Ninja' and 'Kawasaki' decals to white or something.

Rynownd
April 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
That looks sweet! I've never played the game, and probably wouldn't put any vid game stuff on my bike, but I like the skull.:rock:

Rynownd
April 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
not going to lie, I thought about doing the blood splatter from movie, Kill Bill since my bike is yellow.

I like the idea. Love the movie.

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
another trivial fact.
the bike she was riding is ZZR250.

Nemy
April 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM
so what is the graphics guy changing? You could ask him to move/shrink the skull a bit so it misses that black void. But it looks great already!

Buffalony
April 9th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I'd leave it. Looks good frank.

Verus Cidere
April 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Awesome graphics in tribute to an awesome game! IMO it rivals Halo! Nicely done! :D

dyeclan
April 10th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks everyone. The picture doesn't show all the creases and bubbles we got. He's going to separate it into smaller pieces that are adjusted for all the cuts and curves. Nate is a real professional and was not happy leaving it looking less than perfect.

As far as the subject matter, etc, it comes from a semi-long story. I was originally going to get last years CBR600RR with the graffiti graphics. Part of that was a gear and some industrial stuff. Well, I went with the ninjette knowing I wasn't ready for a bigger bike, and because they were hard to get, ended up with a red one. Wanted black. WELL, wanting to get rid of black, wanting my bike to be different, liking the game, and liking that gear effect, along with already having that red base to work with, came to this.

As for designs, I came up with this on the computer. You can google for almost anything, including fonts and graphics. If you can get them in EPS format, a vinyl guy can scale them to whatever size you want, and cut the shapes for you. I got lucky and found the gears logo in EPS, and was all set.

Finally, The front fender and the tail are going black this weekend, and there will be some white and red added to those areas. Should help it POP some.

miks
April 10th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Can't wait mate, remember to post heaps of pictures :)

I agree that some white would make the bike pop, especially if the 'Gears of War' text is going to be in white. You're making sound progress, keep up the good work and make sure you keep us informed.

dyeclan
April 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Ok, graphics won't be re-done til next week, but we did get the fender and tail painted this past weekend. We will have to buff those parts out in a couple weeks, which will give it that factory lustre. In the mean time, I got my Custom Seat Creations covers in (Thanks Becky!), in black carbon fiber and black Locust skin (snake, but work with me here). I also got the CF hugger on (Thanks Jake! (Ninja007)) and the Zero Gravity Double Bubble, and bobbed the fender. I'm keeping some of that on there because I ride in some really crappy weather.

Up next, DIY custom gauge faces, finished graphics including some on the tail, and a grip change out. If money allows, pazzo levers will be about the last thing for this year, as it's time to stop fooling around and go RIDE!

http://web.me.com/dyeclan/dyeclan/Bikes_files/IMG_0203.jpg

http://web.me.com/dyeclan/dyeclan/Bikes_files/IMG_0201.jpg

http://web.me.com/dyeclan/dyeclan/Bikes_files/IMG_0208.jpg

Yeah yeah, I know, I need to clean my garage and my rims.... :D

kkim
April 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
lookin good, Frank. Seems to be coming together just as you envisioned. :thumbup:

Rynownd
April 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Sick nasty sweet.

miks
April 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Looking good mate!

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I really like that black tail on the red bike. I might do something similar. Your bike's looking killer bro.

bob706
April 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM
That looks really nice. I work in a graphic shop and for something like this we would print the graphic on air release vinyl. It eliminates the chance for creases and bubbles, plus being printed, you could photoshop some nice effects and make the thing really pop. I applaud your graphic guy for doing regular vinyl on those curves though.:thumbup:

Buffalony
April 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Your really starting to lower the shock value of my final plan:D
Looks awesome.

Locust skin:thumbup:

sometimesido
April 16th, 2009, 09:25 PM
your bike is coming together well!

dyeclan
April 17th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Buffalony, lets see it!

Thanks all for the comments, it actually looks much better than the photos show, I'm really happy with the black/red.

All I can say is if you have something in your head you wanna do, don't be afraid to do it. Break out the computer or even the paper and scissors, and mock it up, then go for it.

Oh, and the CSC Seat covers ROCK. It made that stock seat look like I paid 300 bucks for it.

For what it's worth, going from the bone stock look, I've got $214 invested in this. Not bad for such a dramatic change.

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM
How much was it to paint the fender and the tail? Sick looking bike btw. It came out nice.

dyeclan
April 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks. Cost me nothin for the paint. Brother has a paint booth and already had the paint and clearcoat. Taking the parts off and scuffing them was my part, the rest was free. :D