View Full Version : Unfriendly Harley riders.

Snake
April 9th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Is it just me or does it seem that when you try and give a passing Harley rider the two finger wave they ignore you or look at you like your crazy?

00v_Lucky
April 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM
yea, this happens to me on a regular basis, the point to where I did not like them was when one guy passed me up on my same lane scaring the **** out of me with his obnoxious double dual pipes :rage:

Rynownd
April 9th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Depends on the location really. When I'm around campus and it's a student, they usually wave. But when I'm any where else, they snub me. (in general)

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
the true riders wave, weekend riders in their brand new bike don't.
and i can usually tell who's who...
there are exceptions.

islanderman7
April 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
You're not the only one. I was given the bird the other day.

Snake
April 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
yea, this happens to me on a regular basis, the point to where I did not like them was when one guy passed me up on my same lane scaring the **** out of me with his obnoxious double dual pipes :rage:

You should have passed him...got in front of him...gave him a break check and then sped off. LOL

Not realy he could be in a biker gang.

kkim
April 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
http://www.ninjette.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14876&highlight=waving

ScraitT
April 9th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Depends. I have had them ignore me before, but more often then not I think it is them not expecting someone on a sportbike to wave to them.

Currently all of my friends ride harleys, so when I am out with them we get acknowledged by everyone...the sportbikes see me and the harleys see them.

miks
April 9th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Don't even bother waving to a HD rider here. Good chance they're from some bikie gang, Hell's Angels, Banditos, Rebels etc etc.

Many HD riders here in Australia are very violent, we've had like 5 deaths already this year from gang fights, shootings, turf wars and the like.

Even the Government has to resort to drastic measures, making it illegal to be a part of any bike gang, but the 5-0 have a very hard time enforcing that law.

IMO, most HD riders need to treat people how they would like to be treated, show people respect and they'll do the same back.

08_250R
April 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I think they are weekend riders probably cant drive good enough to take a hand off the bar and wave. In WI every bike waves, I think it is because we get a entire 3 or 4 months to ride, and we are all just happy to be on a damn bike.

chinasmurf
April 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I get mixed responses. They usually don't but If I initiate I think they wave back cuz I'm a girl. But I've gotten the "cold shoulder a few times" But if I'm with my HD end (that has both street n HD bike) I get waved by both. Ehhhh hell w/ them if they are gonna give us the nose up

:p

sometimesido
April 9th, 2009, 09:34 PM
in short, there are other important things to worry about.
except for that guy Howard is talking about.

CRXTrek
April 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
This year i have noticed a few not putting out the two fingers. I think for some it is due to our economy and that i bought Japanese instead of buying an American bike.

Buffalony
April 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I have this gut feeling one percenters deemed the phrase "Crotch-Rocket"
It seems everyone I know that is gung-ho Harley uses this phrase more often.
I now deem the phrase "Fart sleigh/sled"
I wave regardless. arrogant farts anyway.

Verus Cidere
April 9th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I think you're on to something Joe! I agree though, I hate it when the stupid Fart-Sledders (see? I'm using it already! ;)) don't wave. I think they're just jealous! Does it really matter if we're so much faster than them? We're both on 2 wheels! Good enough for me! :D

Buffalony
April 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I think you're on to something Joe! I agree though, I hate it when the stupid Fart-Sledders (see? I'm using it already! ;)) don't wave. I think they're just jealous! Does it really matter if we're so much faster than them? We're both on 2 wheels! Good enough for me! :D

:D It's like we're not good enough cause we didnt buy american!!! though ironically they'd probably not wave if we were on a buell either not knowing the difference. The whole attitude is stupid and mostly uneducated. Alot of older import bikes were just as respected by the "hard core outlaw group" as american bikes. Some of those guys are still around. Now you see alot of a whole new breed....The old and ready to retire/retired yuppys who think only an american brand is the best. These are the same people who get a dog and name it harley around the same time they get their first harley motorcycle. Their not all bad.
The bike mod scene was just as big an bad in australia in the 70's as it was here in the US. And lets not forget about the UKs Motorcyle history!!! I personally would Buy a Japanese Cruiser (favor yamaha).
It's really alot of arrogance...the same type of arrogance that generates hatred towards our nation! Sadly enough alot of the older clubs around have adopted/are gradually adopting this same type of hatred towards anything non-Harley. It's pretty sickening. I've seen members even go to the extremes of pushing bikes over cause they were not harley.

BlueTyke
April 10th, 2009, 06:26 AM
(I didn't read every single post just the first few)

I think this is a location thing. And whats going on around kind of thing. I have noticed though that while Harley riders wave at other Harley/crusers the just nod or lift their hand a little from their bars when it comes to waving at me.

I find that they wave at me more when I am with my 'Harley' friends I think they just accidently wave at me because I am generaly in the middle...

Does it matter? No. There are sportbike riders that don't wave to me either. Particular brand? Couldn't tell you. Tour bikes wave at me sometimes, sometimes they don't. Does it upset me? Hell no! I am riding and that is allll that matters :)

CC Cowboy
April 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I've never had a problem with Harley riders not waving. We are all from the same group, motorcyclists. It's the Honda Goldwing and BMW crowd that never wave back around here. I guess they know that under my helmet I'm calling them all "Fags" (not the gay type, but the pussy type, if that makes any sense).

sometimesido
April 10th, 2009, 07:19 AM
hahaha, BMW crowd definitely don't wave.
Never had one guy on a GS or K wave back.

Cali619
April 10th, 2009, 07:30 AM
depends where I am riding at the time, if its in the city I rarely get waves from the cruisers, almost always from sport-bikers. If I'm riding in the canyons then almost 100% wave to be no matter what bike they are on, they all know were all there for the same exhilarating ride...

Alex
April 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
hahaha, BMW crowd definitely don't wave.
Never had one guy on a GS or K wave back.

I hear this alot online, but I don't experience it. I wave just as often whether I'm on a Ninija or a BMW, and I get waves from BMW folks whether I'm on a Ninja or a BMW. Perhaps it's different in other parts of the country. :confused:

sometimesido
April 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
maybe...

Snake
April 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Don't even bother waving to a HD rider here. Good chance they're from some bikie gang, Hell's Angels, Banditos, Rebels etc etc.

Many HD riders here in Australia are very violent, we've had like 5 deaths already this year from gang fights, shootings, turf wars and the like.

Even the Government has to resort to drastic measures, making it illegal to be a part of any bike gang, but the 5-0 have a very hard time enforcing that law.

IMO, most HD riders need to treat people how they would like to be treated, show people respect and they'll do the same back.

Aren't you glad that sport bike riders do not have the stigma of biker gangs? We are all very freindly and just want to ride.

Buffalony
April 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Aren't you glad that sport bike riders do not have the stigma of biker gangs? We are all very friendly and just want to ride.

sorry this must be an area thing. We have a couple of Sports bike groups of decent size around here that do dirt. They are pretty bad mofo's.
There is a hybrid club of 1centers here.they ride cruisers/Super sports together. they are obviously more open minded but still the wrong crowd for me.

dyeclan
April 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Next time a HD rider points out the buy American thing, take a look and see if his starter is a Hitachi. If it is, have fun!

Jacksmeow
April 10th, 2009, 03:44 PM
They may be afraid to take the hands off the handlebars.......

NICUNinja
April 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM
It doesn't really bother me either way, I wave no matter if you're riding a cruiser or a sportsbike. We've had both and I think its the nice thing to do. Today, my husband and I had the bikes out and 2 HD bikes pulled up beside me. They were talking away to each other then the next thing I know they are honking to get my attention asking me if I'm riding a 250 and giving me the :thumbup:.

g21-30
April 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Everyone waves around here.

HKr1
April 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Is it just me or does it seem that when you try and give a passing Harley rider the two finger wave they ignore you or look at you like your crazy?

Screw the HD riders :)

One thing that happened sticks out in my head. Bunch of us were out shooting.....(guys on bikes & cars< transporting guns) A sheriff showed up, told us to find some other place to shoot. So we headed out to the Tecate exit on old 94(SD). Me and another guy was in my camaro(with weapons), the fast guys on bikes had went head.. Anyway, we come up on this group of HD riders. I figured we would sit tight and not pass, since the exit is coming up in a few corners. So some other of our guys on bikes come by to try and pass them. Well these HD riders try and push/stop them off into a corner to kick there ass(the other guys had pissed them off). We were all set to roll in with our guns in hand if this was gonna happen, they just didnt know :D
Well the slow guys got around them, and everybody went on there way :rolleyes:

This and one other time on Palomar Mt. .... I dont bother waving to them.

Sorry for the long post, the one on Palomar is even longer...... But good ending for the sportbikers :p

Angel-be-Good
April 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I'd say around here, cruisers are the least likely to wave, followed by adventure riders (especially if they've got a passenger--are they ashamed?), but really almost all wave back regardless of their genre, especially in the twisties.

dyeclan
April 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed
to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really
twisting sections of mountain road with no straight sections to
speak of and where most of the bends have warning signs that
say "MAX SPEED 50 KPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those
big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where
handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could
catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and
cornering. Three corners later, I was on his mudguard. Catching him
was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the
mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly
got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd
manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but
when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out-power me. His
horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me
more determined than ever.

My only hope was to out-brake him. I held off squeezing the lever
until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an
instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of
his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before
the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I
stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the
canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see
him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles
before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I
was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the
tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more
than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was
not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the mountain and I had
preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of Brit iron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled
so hard in my life. And, some of the credit must go to Raleigh
cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

dyeclan
April 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Ten MORE Reasons Why Harley Owners Won't Wave At Other Bikers

Afraid it will invalidate warranty.

Leather and studs make it too hard to raise arm.

Refuses to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.

Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.

Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.

Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.

Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by those rice-burner manufacturers.

Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.

Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.

They're jealous that after spending $30,000,they still don't own a BMW K1200 LT

sometimesido
April 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
great story with Raleigh cycles.

lavid2002
April 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Didnt you say your too young to have a motorcycle license? How do you know about the HD riders waving to you or not :P

sombo
April 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I think they are weekend riders probably cant drive good enough to take a hand off the bar and wave. In WI every bike waves, I think it is because we get a entire 3 or 4 months to ride, and we are all just happy to be on a damn bike.

Aw, that's no excuse for them not to wave. Even on my very first ride last week I was waving to everyone and felt quite good doing it. :thumbup:

miks
April 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Great story Frank, you sound like commentator commenting on what must have been a fantastic race.

Buffalony
April 11th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Screw the HD riders :)

One thing that happened sticks out in my head. Bunch of us were out shooting.....(guys on bikes & cars< transporting guns) A sheriff showed up, told us to find some other place to shoot. So we headed out to the Tecate exit on old 94(SD). Me and another guy was in my camaro(with weapons), the fast guys on bikes had went head.. Anyway, we come up on this group of HD riders. I figured we would sit tight and not pass, since the exit is coming up in a few corners. So some other of our guys on bikes come by to try and pass them. Well these HD riders try and push/stop them off into a corner to kick there ass(the other guys had pissed them off). We were all set to roll in with our guns in hand if this was gonna happen, they just didnt know :D
Well the slow guys got around them, and everybody went on there way :rolleyes:

This and one other time on Palomar Mt. .... I dont bother waving to them.

Sorry for the long post, the one on Palomar is even longer...... But good ending for the sportbikers :p

Great story..reminded me of this tube vid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPofRQdREyU

Justanothermp5
April 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM
yea i waved at about 3 or 4 the other day and they didnt even look at me, i was like wtf is going on

so im not waving to them unless they wave to me 1st :)

SeeJoy
April 11th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I was out with my BF last Sunday and we switched leads a few times as the day went on.
Now I drop the wave for anybody, no matter what they are sitting on.
Here's, what I noticed:
Out in front, on my yellow 250, I got snubbed by the vast majority of HD's that approached us.
Not so when my BF was in the lead.
Lol!
He rides a HD Night Train, with the mandatory black jacket and chaps, etc.
I thought it was funny as heck.
By the way..he loves it that my ride is a sport bike :)

SeeJoy

CC Cowboy
April 11th, 2009, 06:47 AM
There are some seriously mean posts here. I thought we are all motorcyclists. Seems that if someone doesn't ride what you like then they are scum. There are assholes on Harleys, on Sportbikes, on Cruisers, in Porsches, Ferraris, in Cadillacs, in pick-ups and SUVs. You can find faults with riders in this forum. I remember reading many posts of crashes, most likely from riders with little or no experience. They could be labled as idiots. We all have the right to be on what we want to drive or ride on any road we want whether it be in the mountains of Cleveland (?) or anywhere else.

I remember going to a racing school in France with some friends of mine. One guy, who was a great motorcycle racer with many titles, was bitching because the guy in front of him didn't move over so he could pass. The fact is, it is up to you to pass someone whether on the track or on the street ( he was so frustrated that I passed both of them at once on the same corner). Many times people don't use their mirrors and don't even know you are there. Sometimes they are going as fast as they are comfortable with and can't understand why you would want to pass them. There are a few who just want to block you but they are just dangerous and you will find that following them will bother them more than passing them. They get so worried you will pass they don't concentrate on what's in front of them.

I wave to everyone. Sometimes other riders aren't expecting it ( imagine getting a wave from someone as fantastic as me) and they don't wave in time so I can see it, or they are in deep thought about passing someone two miles in front of them, or they are not used to being accepted merely for the fact they are on a motorcycle. If I go for a day ride and wave to 100 people I would say 90 wave back. The ones who don't have to live with the devastation that they missed their chance.

If anyone has noticed, I have seen bike gangs with members on Jap Cruisers. What is this world coming to.

For all those who are having issues with this waving thing, wave to the bike not the rider. This way your feelings won't be hurt, bikes can't wave back.

TrueFaith
April 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I wave to everyone also. If they choose to not return the wave, that's fine with me. Too much generalizing going on here about Harley riders, IMO. I was at a stop light many years ago on my brand-new Yamaha. A Harley roared up next to me and out of the corner of my eye I could see he was checking out my bike. I was preparing for a nasty comment, but what I got was "Nice bike. How long have you had it?" and a nice wave as the light changed. As he pulled away I saw that he was wearing the colors of a local badass bike gang. I've never forgotten that incident and it proved to me that you can't pidgeon-hole any rider, no matter what they ride. So everyone gets a wave from me.

sometimesido
April 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM
i got a wave back from Goldwing and a Harley yesterday...

TrueFaith
April 11th, 2009, 07:33 AM
i got a wave back from Goldwing and a Harley yesterday...

GoldWing riders! Now THOSE guys just love to bust balls! :laugh:

sombo
April 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
GoldWing riders! Now THOSE guys just love to bust balls! :laugh:

Not always, when I took my ride around here the sport bikes and goldwings usually waved first. I had a few cruisers that didn't wave at all, but I think about 95% of everyone I came across either waved first or waved back.

A lot of the goldwing riders I've met are really quite nice. They are usually older riders that just like to ride and like sharing it with anyone willing to swing their leg over a bike.

Buffalony
April 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM
This ones for the sharks

We understand theres alot of different rider groups on this planet.
Which one are we? :confused: I'd say a smart, funny and open minded one. But not the only smart, funny, and open minded one:D

We know that riders are not always able to wave back due to the various reasons.
The thread is titled Unfriendly Harley Riders.

I'll start by saying I understand there are different elements slightly meshed here and I not going to waste my time picking them apart.

Sure there are unfriendly riders on other bikes, but there is a widely know prominence of this attitude from Harley Riders specifically. Which is why this thread is able to be a thread in the first place. There is a specific arrogance from a majority of harley riders that simply bypass the positive, friendly, having fun, into the same thing, etc, etc, rider spirit, Because You are not on a hog!
If I were to purchase a Harley, which I'm sure I will one day(probably used:cool:), I would not place myself on a pedestal and act arrogant towards the next rider because of it. Especially in a sea of Harleys!

This attitude is simply a negative result of a long, drawn out fad that will eventually topple hard, though likely never disipate entirely. At least in my lifetime if at all.

Though Harleys trend "fights outdating well" signs of their own understanding of their businesses vunerabilities have peeked through the cracks through out history. This understanding is closely linked with an extensive knowledge of their customer base. Yes Harley knows very well who their customer base is, and understand which type of buyer, and what image helped form the backbone of the company. It is also the same group that helped lay the foundation, mold their image, circulate brand recognition, and form the long term durability that has helped them through tough times. In the past that is. (I'm sure they don't :wave:)

We all know that presently the economy is tough. American Vehicles specifically are under alot of pressure and Harley is no exception. In tough times the customers that Harley primarly cater towards help put the company in a wheel chair. In tough times like present, those who can afford Harley products become their caretaker. During times like now, reaching out and expanding customer base is inevitable.
Example of this here:http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2009_Motorcycles/2009_Motorcycles.jsp?locale=en_CA#/model/xr1200

The Guy (or Gal) that buys this bike will unlikey be a die hard Harley or even a die hard cruiser kind of person. I think one or a few may even be abit confused :D I do think they're more than likely to wave abit more!!! :rolleyes:

One thing is for sure...a companys backbone cannot change.
It can however mutate and Harleys has been mutating for sometime now. So who are the mysterious hybrids. Well you've seen em, met em, work with em... yeah.... a good portion of them don't like to wave either, but they don't really know why!! They are not the same type of individuals that helped erect this excellent brand of American machine. They will however continue to assist these wonderful Bikes in being expensive!!!

Conclusion:
Ironically the longer this brand is exposed to hard times the more it permantly hinders them for the future.
The Company Harley Davidson does not age as well as Jack Daniels.

Put us on Harleys and we wave :wave:
There are plenty enough like us on Harleys. :rolleyes:
There need be more...For the brands sake! :(

(The new blacked out Iron 883 is titz)

KJohnson21
April 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Well said Joe.

The Harley Davidson company has been lucky that their brand is an essential part of a popular cultural social image. The part where they really lucked out is that the "bad boy" image is one of the ones that caught on with the yuppies, and others, as they go into their mid-life crises. And there's nothing like a Harley to give your "bad boy" image instant cachet (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cachet?qsrc=2888). It seems that one of the main things about presenting and maintaining that type of image is the display of disposable income. It always cracks me up when I hear Harley-dudes bragging about their new custom chrome accessory do-hickey that cost as much as my entire motorcycle!

My main gripe with Harley is, what if I don't want a V-twin? One of the stereotypical things that Harley-dudes will throw at you is, "Buy American!" Well, why doesn't an American company make what I want to buy?

Snake
April 11th, 2009, 12:28 PM
My main gripe with Harley is, what if I don't want a V-twin? One of the stereotypical things that Harley-dudes will throw at you is, "Buy American!" Well, why doesn't an American company make what I want to buy?

An American Company does make some very nice sport bikes, Buel. Only problem is that they are owned by Harley Davidson and they do not support that brand like they do their own. Every time I have gone into a Harley dealership to look at Buel bikes, they either only have one model on display or none at all.

sometimesido
April 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
that's a shame.

Snake
April 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Yes it is. They don't even support their own sister brand.

KJohnson21
April 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
The Buell support depends on which dealer. Most of them are heavily invested in, and only understand, the "bad boy" customers.

I was lucky enough to test drive the HD XR1200, Buell Firebolt and Buell 1125R at a couple of shows this year. They are all very interesting. My point is, what if I want an inline four?

CC Cowboy
April 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Tons of Harleys and Buells here at Destination Daytona. Rossmeyer not only supports Buell at the dealership, he is sponsoring Danny Eslick this year.

sometimesido
April 11th, 2009, 03:30 PM
i just got a wave from a GS!
woo, good day today.

HKr1
April 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Great story..reminded me of this tube vid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPofRQdREyU

Thats a good one, take'em down an old dead end :D

Sailariel
April 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Methinks we are pole vaulting over mouse turds..

Buffalony
April 12th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Well said Joe.

The Harley Davidson company has been lucky that their brand is an essential part of a popular cultural social image. The part where they really lucked out is that the "bad boy" image is one of the ones that caught on with the yuppies, and others, as they go into their mid-life crises. And there's nothing like a Harley to give your "bad boy" image instant cachet. It seems that one of the main things about presenting and maintaining that type of image is the display of disposable income. It always cracks me up when I hear Harley-dudes bragging about their new custom chrome accessory do-hickey that cost as much as my entire motorcycle!

Yuppies:) (I don't want to tick off any of the past or present harley owners on the forum so I tried to stay away from any name calling). If you got a harley cause you love harleys and you appreciate all cycles.. rock. If you got a Harley and your a different person when your on it (or all the time) Piss Off

An American Company does make some very nice sport bikes, Buell. Only problem is that they are owned by Harley Davidson and they do not support that brand like they do their own. Every time I have gone into a Harley dealership to look at Buel bikes, they either only have one model on display or none at all.

I think he was refering to them offering an inline 4. Beyond the V-twin? The V-twin and its components(specifically ignition) are another signature/selling point/barrier.
I'd like to see at least 1 mv agusta and 1 buell at every dealer...it might shake up some of the narrow minded egos too much to see a european cycle gracing the presence of all those harleys.:p Or maybe help slightly alter their perception of sports bikes in general. It would be a start!

MV Agusta here:http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/models_current.html

The Buell support depends on which dealer. Most of them are heavily invested in, and only understand, the "bad boy" customers.

I was lucky enough to test drive the HD XR1200, Buell Firebolt and Buell 1125R at a couple of shows this year. They are all very interesting. My point is, what if I want an inline four?

I agree with the dealer statement as far as Harley dealers go. I know a large percentage of owners that perceive them as OK too. They always seem to toss in a reminder they're harleys. :D I'd like to see that saying pushed further.

I test drove a used firebolt last year.Was gonna buy it until I drove it. nope...had to restrict myself some. Damn it was fun. I'd be happy enough with just the standard xb9. Don't really need anymore pwr than that. Buells are pretty innovative.

Thats a good one, take'em down an old dead end :D
Yeah there were a couple posts on utube that state it's fake. Regardless its satisfying to watch

Methinks we are pole vaulting over mouse turds..
Your experiences?:confused:

TrueFaith
April 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Say what you will about Harley riders, but classifying one group of people because of what they ride does us all a disservice. I worked with a bunch of Harley riders for years. Whenever they weren't working they were on their hogs. The day I rode my 08 Ninja 250 to work for the first time I got a surprise. The second I pulled up they all gathered around me en masse and positively gushed about the bike. I got the usual "is that a 600?" comments, but most of the comments were about what a great-looking bike it was. They were positively floored when I told them the displacement and retail price. Several of them even said they'd like to get one for their "old lady", but it was obvious they'd be "borrowing" it a lot if they did. Not once did anyone make a disparaging comment about the bike and these guys were hard-core Harley loyalists. Maybe they wouldn't be caught dead waving to a sportbike while riding with their buddies, but get them off the hog and they're just guys who love motorcycles.

KJohnson21
April 12th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I think he was refering to them offering an inline 4. Beyond the V-twin? The V-twin and its components(specifically ignition) are another signature/selling point/barrier.
I'd like to see at least 1 mv agusta and 1 buell at every dealer...it might shake up some of the narrow minded egos too much to see a european cycle gracing the presence of all those harleys.:p Or maybe help slightly alter their perception of sports bikes in general. It would be a start!

MV Agusta here:http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/models_current.html

Oh yeah! The MV Agusta re-acquisition! It'll be interesting to see what turns up from that.

We won't tell the Harley-dudes where the engines for the V-Rod and the Buell 1125 came from.

Not once did anyone make a disparaging comment about the bike and these guys were hard-core Harley loyalists. Maybe they wouldn't be caught dead waving to a sportbike while riding with their buddies, but get them off the hog and they're just guys who love motorcycles.

Yep, almost all of the Harley riders I know are just regular guys when they realize that they don't have to play to an audience.

CC Cowboy
April 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Oh yeah! The MV Agusta re-acquisition! It'll be interesting to see what turns up from that.

We won't tell the Harley-dudes where the engines for the V-Rod and the Buell 1125 came from.

Not to sound stupid but where do the V-Rod engines come from?

Alex
April 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Not to sound stupid but where do the V-Rod engines come from?

The V-rod engines had much of their engineering work subcontracted to Porsche. Not sure where they are actually built. The Buell 1125R engines are built and designed by Rotax in Austria.

sm0kediver
April 12th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I get waves from most of them, cruisers and all. Once in a while I'll meet a crotchety looking individual on a Harley who won't even look over, but I think they're just trying to maintain their 'cool' image. Those guys are missing out.

Sport bikers on the other hand are positively excited to see another sport bike. I was parked at a store today and a couple of sport bikes went by blowing their horns and waving.

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM
In general I've noticed about 95% HD riders wave back. Those that don't either aren't paying attention or are too busy trying to look cool. The same percentage applies to all two wheeled vehicles though. I've been dissed by just as many sport bike riders and scooters as I have HD riders. Sometimes people just don't see you until its too late. I usually initate the wave but sometimes I don't notice another biker until Im at a point in a turn where it would be dangerous to wave, so I don't even if they do. You can't wave to everyone, but you can try to!

sometimesido
April 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM
hahaha, never had anyone on a scooter diss me if I wave first.
I'm on one of the scooter forums and most says they'll wave to motorcycles if they receive it first.

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Usually when they do they look confused like they're not sure I'm waving at them. They're probably intimidated since I'm on a big bad 250!
Posted via Mobile Device

rceezy
April 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I'm still new to the game so if I didn't wave, it meant I was concentrating on the road. LOL!!

Buffalony
April 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
hahaha, never had anyone on a scooter diss me if I wave first..

Funny you mentioned this. I did.

Just one guy.

All last summer on my way to work. He would fly by me almost everyday on a chrome an burgandy burgman. sometimes he'd creep past me on his classy ride. I could never get anything out of him. No nod, no look, nothing. I never really took any offense. I'm just really curious who he is.:confused: I never really made it past the glare from his visor. I think he is just so enlightened that he doesnt notice anything but the road, I'm another object for him to avoid.:cool:

Yesterday I spotted the "Guy on the Burgman" for the first time this season. He must of traded the one he had. I don't know what model he had last year, but he drove by me on a blue 650 while on the highway. I was in my cage. Not thinking, I actually honked my horn to say hello :D I thought to myself, he doesnt know you or your car....then I thought, man that guy is really focused.

Maybe all of us should be that focused. Maybe non-waving Harley riders aren't that bad of folks. You see it doesnt matter what kind of bike you ride or how much Chrome or carbon fiber you have on it or if you wear chaps or pucks. What matters is that your on the road doing what you you love. If what you love is waving, then wave to everyone, including those cagers next to you. :rolleyes:

A National Motorcyclist Waving Day. Hmmmm...That would freak alot of people out....might be unsafe.:D

1UP2DWN

ManyCavies
April 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I try to wave to everyone, but sometimes I don't see them until its to late. And I think alot of times they don't see me at all. Those are the ones listening to the IPOD just crusing, locked in their own little zone.:cool:

Buffalony
April 13th, 2009, 12:46 AM
locked in their own little zone.:cool:

What a wonderful bliss in life. ahhhh :D

dyeclan
April 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM
First, I don't get credit for that story, it's just a joke I lifted off a biker joke site. As for waves, we get a real mix up here. It's pretty heavily union in Cleveland, so those are most likely the guys who will stiff ya or tell you you're number one. MOST, say 90%, return the wave. Others, who cares.

As far as ripping on Harleys and their riders in general, I think it's in good fun. The guys I ride with are all on Harleys. I take my fair share of rice jokes and I never miss a chance to point out leaking case gaskets and things falling off. It's all good. :cool:

CC Cowboy
April 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Alex, you're right Porsche did engineering work on the V-Rod. They are built in the US (Kansas City. MO). To bad they didn't go with a 4 cylinder with a road racing frame.

I never understood why all the Jap manufacturers all make Harley look alikes. Don't they know everyone hates Harleys.

CRXTrek
April 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I never understood why all the Jap manufacturers all make Harley look alikes. Don't they know everyone hates Harleys.
For the same reason they are now building Fullsize Pickups. $$$

Buffalony
April 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM
The same reason people buy triumphs!

Nickds7
April 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Everyone seems to give the wave back...even harley riders. I even gave the wave to a cop cyclist as he passed me coming the other direction, he waved back :)

TnNinjaGirl
April 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I wave at cops even if they are caged up. Seems like only the bike cops wave back.

Strange
April 15th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I grew up around a biker gang, the ones down here in Texas (mainly the Austin/central texas area) Are good people. Always donating to Brown Santa and doing things for the kids. Of course all of them are proud Harley Owners..which....I probably will never own a harley...simply because well. they suck. :D Not all of them, but most of'em.

I've only had 1 or 2 folks not wave. *shrug*

sometimesido
April 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I haven't got a wave back from a bike cop, and I know one!
Today was a bad day in waving, zero waves back.
but a good day for my bike.

capt_bugaloo
April 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I wave to everyone also. If they choose to not return the wave, that's fine with me. Too much generalizing going on here about Harley riders, IMO.
Amen.
I'm a bit put-off by some of the anti-Harley generalizations in this thread. Hey, respect is a two-way street: if you want respect, you have to be willing to give it!

I wave most of the time, but sometimes I don't: I'm busy watching out for the idiot cager yapping on a cellphone, the car driving just a little too close behind me for comfort, that kid on the bike who looks like he's about to pull across the lane without looking, etc.

If I wave at someone else and they don't wave back, I assume that there may be some reason for it. Maybe the guy's busy shifting gears, looking at something in his mirrors, checking his odometer, whatever. Yeah, maybe he's not waving back because he's a brand snob, but if that's the case, he's an a*****e and I'm really not interested in his opinion then.

Bsmith
April 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Around here I quit waving at most of the scooter guys. I almost had wreck because he was waving so hard he started to zig-zag. There's a couple that I wave to consistently. They wave at me even when I'm in the cage. By the end of the month I'll be getting the who are you looks from everybody that knows the green bike. I'm going to be breaking in a new one. The wife is getting an '09 black one. Back when I lived in CO, I hung out with some SOS brothers. They were/are serious 1%ers. They were always cool with me. Like the other poster said if you show respect you get respect. They still owe me a favor or two, maybe that's why they are cool with me.

CC Cowboy
April 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I always wave at biker cops. They always wave back, or is it pull over! The biker cops seem more friendly then the cage coppers. I always talk to the Chief of Police (we go to the same gym), he rides ( although it's a mountain bike). I feel sorry for them. It's a thankless job. Nobody likes them until they need them.

Buffalony
April 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
When it comes more frequently from one type of biker it becomes a thread.
Next.. I say we flame ..... bicyclist. :D

CRXTrek
April 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM
When it comes more frequently from one type of biker it becomes a thread.
Next.. I say we flame ..... bicyclist. :D

Are you talking about the ones in your apex on a right hand turn :eek:
I ride a twisty two lane road with alot of hills and the cyclist seem to always be just in my line. I know "Share the Road" but speed differences of 50 or 60 mph isn't safe on a two lane road with no shoulder lane.
Rant over :D

Mista Bob
April 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
This is what I have found in my experience...

There are two factors that affect the likely hood of another rider waving back.

First up, how much is the front raked out?
The further out it is, the less likely they are to wave.

Second up, the closer it is to 0 degrees (or below), the higher the chance someone will wave back.

And you have to always keep in mind, sometimes people just don't see you.
There have been plenty of times where I don't see a bike till the last second and its too late to wave back.

Something interesting I've found (so far at least) is...
Guess what group of riders have never once waved back at me?

Scooters.

CC Cowboy
April 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I always wave to girls with short skirts that are riding scooters. They don't wave back as you or I would, but rather use the old knee wave, where they just pop a knee out to acknowledge me so they don't have to take their hands off the handlebars.

Strider
April 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Here in my area (Gastonia), the Harley guys are just as friendly, if not more friendly than the sport bikers. At least to me they are. It's odd IMO.
I've never been flipped off by a guy on a Harley, but I have been flipped off by 2 guys on over-modded super sport's ...
Must have been jealous of my stock Ebony 06' ;)

CC Cowboy
April 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I did a four hour ride today. I didn't wave to anyone. I wonder how many riders now have complexes from it.

Just kidding. I still waved. I even mooned a few.

Buffalony
April 19th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Are you talking about the ones in your apex on a right hand turn :eek:
I ride a twisty two lane road with alot of hills and the cyclist seem to always be just in my line. I know "Share the Road" but speed differences of 50 or 60 mph isn't safe on a two lane road with no shoulder lane.
Rant over :D

I dont even waste my time with those squids. They really tick me off. Everytime I wave at those f-ers they nevr flag back. They must think I cant see em with my stupid crotch rockets mirrors...... I'm watchin em:D

sm0kediver
April 19th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I almost t-boned a Harley Friday afternoon going 60. He was pulling out of a parking lot and started to cross my path to go left. I was already braking and evading before he saw me. He woke up, and made an awkward stop with half his bike in my lane of travel. I swerved around his front end and made eye contact while shaking my head. He was busted. He looked scared.

No matter what kind of bike you're riding, you need to maintain a high level of situational awareness. Paying attention is a lot more important than looking cool.

CC Cowboy
April 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Good thing he wasn't in his other vehicle ( Harley four door diesel duelly pick-up). He doesn't look before he pulls out in that vehicle either.

Snake
April 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM
It's also a good thing that Jody was not one of your average cage drivers or the Harley would have been in big trouble. He needs to consider himself lucky that it was a defensive riding biker.

Buffalony
April 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Great job jody. I'd like for that to happen to me on the ninjette. Give him a nice little waive once he noticed me, after 5 secs of sitting there..lol
:whistle:.... :wave::whip:
jk