View Full Version : Area P / Custom Exhaust

08_250R
April 10th, 2009, 05:55 AM
We'll Off I go,

I purchased Blue Monkeys Area P 12" can and a 6' section of Stainless 1.75" pipe. I have a extra header that I was making a custom exhaust out of when I scored the deal from blue. Heading to a pipe bender and figure Ill through a couple crow **** welds on the old header and make a custom header that will mount the pipe. In theory it is all easy, only time will tell..

I'll throw out some pics later today.. if all goes well.

Snake
April 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Good luck to ya. Keep us updated.

08_250R
April 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM
We'll didn’t go as planned, of course.

No one in Chippewa or Eau Claire that I can find has a mandrel bender. I kinked the crap out of my SST pipe trying a regular tubing bender. But, the shop made me a piece out of 1.75" scrap We welded it to the header after the 2 into 1. MMMmmm it sounds nice, little loud Blue wasn’t lying. But I figure now I have my pipe, and I can send it somewhere as a prototype to get a sst one made. Honestly I can’t figure out why Area P didn’t respond to either of my emails asking to simply buy a header, but they didn’t. Until they do, or until I can find another bender, I’m content.

Ling

Snake
April 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear it did not go as planned. Maybe you can post a video with sound.

08_250R
April 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'll see what I can do,

Adam

kbryant
April 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Adam, I can assure you we respond to all e-mails, very quickly, and I respond to most of them personally. If we did not respond, it's because we did not get your e-mail. If you would like to PM your e-mail address, I will investigate.

Only on rare occasions is the head pipe assembly sold by itself. From time to time we may get a blem from production and that may be sold seperately. Or it would be combined with a blem muffler and sold as a complete kit. The system is simply price-pointed fairly as a unit and everything is made in matching pairs.

08_250R
April 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Adam, I can assure you we respond to all e-mails, very quickly, and I respond to most of them personally. If we did not respond, it's because we did not get your e-mail. If you would like to PM your e-mail address, I will investigate.

Only on rare occasions is the head pipe assembly sold by itself. From time to time we may get a blem from production and that may be sold seperately. Or it would be combined with a blem muffler and sold as a complete kit. The system is simply price-pointed fairly as a unit and everything is made in matching pairs.

Understandable. Please don't take my last reply as an insult I meant none, I figures u were just busy. If you get one that has a blemish please shoot me a pm. I figure my work pc blocked my message to you. But if not it would be lingski@gmail.com

Thanks. Adam

Posted via Mobile Device

kbryant
April 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Adam, No insult taken in the least. We just take a lot of pride in our customer service and simply want to be sure no e-mails or responses fall through the cracks. Oh, and I searched e-mail records back 12 months. So yes, I would say your e-mails were blocked... ;)

Snake
April 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Now thats what I call great customer service. Onother reason for me to buy an Area P when it comes out for my bike.

08_250R
April 10th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Again, I am willing to purchase a header, but I do not want you to go out of your way to make me one. One that is cracked, or has a dent or large blemish is fine I will manage. I simply got a good deal on this pipe. I was look at Area P to begin with and couldn’t pass it up.

Ohh and Kelly, you might want to close your eyes on my next post. :) it’s not as pretty as the full system you all make.

08_250R
April 10th, 2009, 09:49 PM
OK, here are a few pictures.

I first cut my header after the two into one and removed the baffle. My intent was to make a fully hidden underbike exhaust. It was simply to loud. So, I purchased Monkey's Area P. My first choice in exhaust anyway.

I figured out that after the 2 into 1 a 1.75" pipe fits nicely, and welds up OK.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/lingski/IMG_0041.jpg

I welded a washer to a bold. And then the bolt to the pipe to act as a hanger, "yes im a hack"

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/lingski/IMG_0046.jpg

I added the CF pipe, and MMMmm sexy,

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/lingski/IMG_0042.jpg

Put the bike back together,

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/lingski/IMG_0048.jpg

The exhaust pipe is not pretty, it is typical exhaust pipe for now, my 50 bucks worth of SST pipe was trashed because of the bender. I am thinking of exhaust wrap painted black, should look nice enough for now.

kkim
April 10th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I give a thumbs up to anyone willing to do custom work on their bike to get it to work. Looks like you pulled it off. :thumbup:

The added section looks a bit long, but other than that, good work. Now shim that puppy to take advantage of your less restrictive exhaust. :)

being green, your bike must be crazy fast now!! ;)

miks
April 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Well, aren't you Mr. Creative. Good job mate.

08_250R
April 11th, 2009, 12:33 AM
You are correct kkim, it is a bit long for three reasons, 1 I want bags and needed the room, 2. I wanted to make sure in clear the swing arm as I seen the pipe was rubbing on the old install and 3. I overcompensated for 1 and 2 ha ha.

Just because you forced me to do it I shimmed my needles, "wait" I added a spacer. "work joke shims are not allowed". Anyway, I made a few .053" that is the thickness of 2.5 - 3 #4's. But I only wanted 1 spacer, so off to the multi-million dollar work Facility.. mmm wish i had it at home. Can’t wait to drive the bike, but it is 2am and I live on a dead end road, by a lake.. Man it echo's

Thank you all for the great DIY's it took me 2 hrs to get my bike naked, shim the needles and reassemble.

Adam

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/lingski/IMG_0050.jpg

kkim
April 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM
pull the snorkel and with that thickness shim, your bike should pull better from idle all the way to redline. :)

let us know the results of your mods once you get a chance to ride the bike.

if your bike pops or backfires now that you've changed your exhaust, you might consider removing the Kleen system.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948