View Full Version : Wiring LED strips up as brake lights..

KCninja
March 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Hi all, I am a new here, and yes i have searched....maybe not hard enough but i was not able to find it. but if so then let the flaming begin haha...

Ok so i have a 2011 special edition ninja 250, what i am trying to achieve is to install 2 LED strips to the back of the bike and have them function along side the brake light (primarily when the brake is depressed) i have taken the seat cowl off and stripped back the 3 wires that lead up to the brake light the RED BLUE AND BLACK wires, I feel like i have attempted every option of wiring that i had to try between the 3 stock wires and the LED wires...the only way i have found any close to success with is having the LED's on as a RUNNING light and once the brake is depressed the LED's turn off and the brake light gets brighter.....

what am i doing wrong here guys? does this bikes wiring not have the ability to do what I am wanting?

I want the LED's to only turn on when the brake is depressed...

Thanks in advanced for any help you can offer. :angel:

CC Cowboy
March 3rd, 2014, 10:34 AM
Hey Nick, nice to meet you too, cool location, is that a prison cell?

I forgot, what was your question again?

NevadaWolf
March 3rd, 2014, 10:37 AM
Not sure i can help solve the problem, but can identify the wires.

Per the service manual wiring page, the Red is the tail light, the Black/Yellow is the ground, and the Blue is the brake.

I don't see why the bike should not be able to handle it, since you are just powering the LEDs using the same line as the brake wire. I power four small LED pods using the tail wire so the idea works.

Sorry i can't help much on solving the issue. :(

DEFY
March 3rd, 2014, 10:46 AM
This would be done by taping into the blue(+ line for LEDs) and black lines(- line for LEDs). If they are to much a load on the system the leds may turn on faintly and the taillight get fainter. If this does not work you may have to add a transistor to switch the main power to the LEDs off the main battery 12 volt line.

KCninja
March 3rd, 2014, 11:08 AM
Ok, tonight i'll try to tap into the blue and black then and see if that changes anything. Also if i need a transistor where would i put in the wiring and exactly what kind of transistor should i get?

DEFY
March 3rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
Ok, tonight i'll try to tap into the blue and black then and see if that changes anything. Also if i need a transistor where would i put in the wiring and exactly what kind of transistor should i get?

Your want the blue and the black not red and black. Probably can get your basic pnp transistor, should be rated for 12v but I believe most are at 15v or higher. Three pronged, Base Emitter and Collector, the blue line would connect to the base, the emmiter to a 10k resistor(R2) to ground(black) and the battery power to a 10k resistor(R1) which connectes to the collector and the LED(+). The LED(-) connects to ground as well.

CThunder-blue maybe able to elaborate on this or define a better method for making this work

CThunder-blue
March 3rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
I don't see why you would need a transistor. LED's barely draw any kind of current. I wouldn't worry about a transistor. Just tap into the blue wire for power and black for ground and you'll be good to go.

KCninja
March 3rd, 2014, 11:50 AM
I don't see why you would need a transistor. LED's barely draw any kind of current. I wouldn't worry about a transistor. Just tap into the blue wire for power and black for ground and you'll be good to go.

i'll check into this tonight when i get back from the office. would much rather the LED's turn on when the brake light is pressed than the way its working right now which is the LED's are on all the time until the brake is depressed then they turn off....:doh:

KCninja
March 4th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Hey guys just a follow up! thanks so much! the blue and black wires worked exactly like i wanted them to! now that I have it working i'll have to bust out the soldering iron and the heat shrink and get it looking professional!

Thanks again
Nick

DEFY
March 4th, 2014, 09:20 AM
:thumbup:

linkinpark9812
March 14th, 2014, 01:38 AM
So how did you end up mounting them? I got 3 on mine, 2 on the sides and one down the middle of the ugly rear fender that I will eventually remove lol.

Hard to see the right side one, but if behind the bike with it straight up, the person behind you can see all three.