View Full Version : More play in throttle?

rasta
March 5th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Installed some Driven clip ons last weekend, and for some reason it feels like there's more play in the throttle now. During installation, like the n00b that I am, I unscrewed the control box and opened it completely (as opposed to just loosening it enough to slide).

Am I just imagining things, and the amount of play didn't actually change at all? Now I can't remember how much play it had prior to changing to clip ons (hadn't thought about it much before).

I guess the question is; can completely opening the control box and consequent fiddling with the cables affect throttle play?

Motofool
March 5th, 2014, 10:11 AM
..........I guess the question is; can completely opening the control box and consequent fiddling with the cables affect throttle play?

Not likely.
If the cables are out of place, you would feel some roughness.
I would double check as the throttle control must be working perfectly for safety reasons.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Throttle_cable_dis/re-assembly

alex.s
March 5th, 2014, 10:18 AM
you probably rotated the throttle tube case when it was off and it rotated around the cable, slightly screwing it in causing more slack. make sure its assembled right then adjust the tension so theres only a bit of slack

rasta
March 5th, 2014, 10:20 AM
you probably rotated the throttle tube case when it was off and it rotated around the cable, slightly screwing it in causing more slack. make sure its assembled right then adjust the tension so theres only a bit of slack

Well the control box is closed completely flush......does that tell me it's assembled correctly?

alex.s
March 5th, 2014, 10:29 AM
the 'assembled correctly' part refers to the cables being correctly placed on the throttle tube wheel

rasta
March 10th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Dammit alex you genius. Finally had a chance to open it up and sure enough the cable was all funky. Repositioned everything and now it seems better :)