View Full Version : Lost cause

Carytowncat
March 6th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Hello,

I recently purchased a "lost cause" 2002 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 off of Craigslist for a comfy price because it had been sitting for years (over 10!). So much so that it only had the break in miles of 1400.

I seriously thought that the mileage was a typo in the ad, even at 14K miles the price was still right, but 1400? That would mean the bike had just been broken in and then sat for the last 12 years, which amazingly it had.

The first owner bought it, rode it, and then parked it for the winter. It never started again. Finally she sold it to a guy who tried everything, and replaced almost everything, in search of the problem.

He said "I think it is electrical" which I was happy to try my hand at because that is my specialty. I worked on it for a few days, tracing every wire and checking continuity at every connection and switch.

Everything was working perfectly. All of the switches were operating just right. Connectors looked brand new. Coils good, etc. It was getting more and more exciting imagining what the culprit might turn out to be.

Finally a clue from a Ninjette post tipped me off to the 100 OHM resistor needed for certain CDIs to work. So I checked the key switch and sure enough it was the wrong year (Missing the resistor).

I replaced the keyswitch with the right year, which was amazingly already included in a box of spare parts that he gave me when I bought her. Replaced it and she fired right up. It was like catching the hail Mary pass hearing her run.

I also had to rebuild the carbs and do a thorough cleaning... twice lol and clean the gas tank with a box of screws, patch a handful of holes in the tank with waterweld, oil and filter change, air filter, add blinkers, and well I just got back from a 20 mile ride in 36 degree weather :O)

csmith12
March 6th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Lol @ the break in sticker

Gratz!

Carytowncat
March 6th, 2014, 03:00 PM

It won't come off lol
12 years of stickin it seems to have bonded on a molecular level.

NevadaWolf
March 6th, 2014, 03:03 PM
She lives! Congratz! Great score and great job sticking with working on her until the problem was found.

misfitsailor
March 6th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Good job! Now, the next thing you need is a fresh set of tires. Don't trust your life to 12 year old tires.

Carytowncat
March 6th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Good job! Now, the next thing you need is a fresh set of tires. Don't trust your life to 12 year old tires.

Yes, thank you for the gentle reminder. I will order 'em now! :)

Carytowncat
March 6th, 2014, 03:20 PM
You're so right about the tires; they are completely dry rotted with cracks and caverns galore.

I've been sitting on that decision waiting for another hail Mary deal. There is too much riding on the tires, and it was right to just buy.

JohnnyBravo
March 6th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Congrats... Welcome to the forum!

Sirref
March 6th, 2014, 04:25 PM

It won't come off lol
12 years of stickin it seems to have bonded on a molecular level.

Leave it on, if anyone ever asks just say that you bought the bike brand new 12 years after it rolled out of the factory.

probably the cheapest low mileage bike you will ever own, and definitely the most fun once you get some pirelli sport demon/bridgestone bt-45 tires on there :)

misfitsailor
March 6th, 2014, 04:29 PM
It's funny that tires are one of those things that have a definite shelf life, if you use them or not. I recently learned how to check tire date codes and found that the front tire on my Softail is now 8 years old! So now I must replace it. Such a shame, as it has lots of good tread left!

Motofool
March 6th, 2014, 05:03 PM
..................and well I just got back from a 20 mile ride in 36 degree weather :O)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

KJohnson21
March 7th, 2014, 12:03 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

Carytowncat
March 7th, 2014, 11:03 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

Hmmm, a name...

Janis Joplin

:O)

What about your bike KJohnson?

PS. Many years ago I had a friend Named Kenny Johnson when I was a kid living in Utah.

greenaero
March 7th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Welcome Nick! Nice job on getting your Ninjette going, there is lots of great help here if you need it.:thumbup:

komohana
March 7th, 2014, 10:22 PM
hey nick
good job on the bike!
welcome aboard
:yo:

Snake
March 8th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Hello and welcome. Great job on the bike.

KJohnson21
March 8th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Hmmm, a name...

Janis Joplin

:O)

What about your bike KJohnson?

PS. Many years ago I had a friend Named Kenny Johnson when I was a kid living in Utah.

If you click the link in my signature it has our 250's name story. Also check the list under my avatar. :cool: