View Full Version : Ninjette.org rally South East June 5-7

TnNinjaGirl
April 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Ladies and gentelmen, welcome to the South. Ideas and comments welcome for the South East gathering of Ninjette.org.

Deal's Gap seems to be where everyone wants to visit. There is plenty of camping, as well as hotels in the area. It is cose to Maryville, TN where there are plenty of conveniences. Routes can include The Devil's Triangle, Foothills Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, Townsend, Pigeon Forge, etc...

What do you guys think?

sometimesido
April 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I am in.
I will need a camping ground.

TnNinjaGirl
April 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Is everyone up for camping, are we ok with splitting up?

sm0kediver
April 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I'm in, as long as we plan a weekend when I can get away. I love camping, but I haven't figured out a good way to haul gear on the Ninja yet. Maybe plan the meeting spot close to both to accomodate everyone.

sometimesido
April 11th, 2009, 03:32 PM
1 waterproof bag, enough bungee cords, duct tape, and zipties.
problem solved.

TnNinjaGirl
April 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I've got a backpack and a tailbag. I prefer to sleep under the stars. Meeting halfway between is an acceptable options, but from what I understand a majority of people want to go to Deal's Gap. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sometimesido
April 11th, 2009, 04:17 PM
hahaha, I think we have to sit this thread for couple days, so other people can post.

Yea, I'd love a Deal's Gap.

sm0kediver
April 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I should know by the middle of the week which weeks my kids will be going to visit their mom this summer. Hopefully that'll work out.

TnNinjaGirl
April 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Bring em. They can run fast can't they? j/k of course.

sometimesido
April 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM
OH, I can't on May.

I have annual training, friend's wedding, and going to cali on the last week.

rceezy
April 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'll need to know a few months in advance to request some vacation time off work! I'm so excited!

TnNinjaGirl
April 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
July 4th I think is going to be a difficult time due to people wanting to be with their families, and people traveling, etc... I know I will personally be setting off $12,000 worth of fireworks in our neighborhood.

June seems like a good month. Not too hot, not too cold. No holidays (that I'm aware of). It's not too far away and not too close.

KnoxNinja
April 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I'm up for June. I should have at least one running bike by then and as of yet I don't have any major trips/crimes planned.

Jacksmeow
April 12th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Sounds great! Another good place to go is Maggie Valley, if for some reason the Gap idea falls through, or if you have too many people and not enough motel space. My husband and I have put together several Kawasaki Vulcan rallies there, and there are a lot of motel rooms with good rates.

sm0kediver
April 12th, 2009, 11:57 AM
RC I suspect this will be a recurring thing, so if you don't make it in June, just set up another one when you can do it. I'm up for riding in the mountains any time I can get free.

TnNinjaGirl
April 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Do ya'll want me to just make all the decisions and inform you or try and get it where everyone can go?

It'd help if I had a schedule of the free weekends for those who have obligations. For the other's I'll assume you have no life and plan acordingly.

sm0kediver
April 12th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I can let you know my summer schedule by Wednesday, and yes you are hereby elected to be the chief engineer and architect of this adventure.

bob706
April 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Count me in. This is the perfect excuse to get a gps.:thumbup: The quicker a time and place is settled on would be much appreciated. Since deals gap is 10 hours from my neck of the woods I would rather get there a day early, assuming deals gap is the meeting place. Camping is good, June timeframe is good, riding anything other than the flaaaaaaaaaaat Forida landscape is very good.

TnNinjaGirl
April 12th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Sean, I went to Florida recently after I bought my bike. I drove my car but the whole time I kept thinking that I would die if I had to drive on flat roads. You do have a wonderful state though. In fact, my parents are vacationing there now.

Back to the topic... We are definately including Deals Gap into the ride. Hotels are probably the best bet, but camping nearby for those who might be interested. I'm not sure how ya'lls night life is so I'm not sure if we should have some evening activities or get some rest before a big day.

Also, does everyone want to do a single day or have multiple days there? I can be there over several days if some people can make it on a Sunday, but not a Saturday while others can only make it on a Saturday. Etc...

I'm proud of the South East group!! You guys are coming up with some great feedback vs the other regions. I feel a contest coming on...

sometimesido
April 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm for either camping or hotel, as long as the price is cheap haha.
Thing with the camping would be to have a chance to cook out and share stories, have few beers and sleep for the morning ride!

I know some people don't like camping, so I'm open for anything else.

BlueTyke
April 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM
A little off topic but on topic kinda...

If someone were to be coming in for camping you can also haul/trailer your bike to the camp spot so that the heavier gear (stove, pots, pans, ice chest etc..) can come with you. Trailering the bike will let you still hit the roads with the others.

Now if I new how to drive Phil's big truck and I had the above mentioned gear I would be so in for this... But alas I will just share ideas, for now.

TnNinjaGirl
April 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
There is a loading/unloading dock which makes this convenient. It's located at the Store on the North Carolina side.

Sunny, once again you have saved the day.

rceezy
April 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Well, I know for sure that I will be down there sometime Mid-September. We (my boyfriend and his parents) are going to try to finalize the week we can all take off work. Maybe I will catch some of you's down there! ;)

TnNinjaGirl
April 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Each room at the Gap houses 3-4 people @ $59.99 a night + $10.00 per extra person.

There are also "apartments" available that have a fully furnished kitchen and sleep 4 people. Rates are $79.99 + $10.00 per extra person.

There is a camping site in the same vicinity. Rates are $12.00 for the first 2 people in the tent and $6 for each additional person.

Revservations must be confirmed 60 days in advance with a 50% deposit. The other 50% is due during the first night's stay.

This is on the North Carolina side of the Dragon. Cell phone reception is... minimal if at all.

I've also talked to the operators of the Tallahasse Store in Tennessee about 3 miles before the start of the Dragon. They charge $10 a night to camp behind the store. I checked it out and it looks like a decent area.

There is food and gas in both locations.

bob706
April 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
60 day reservation notice puts the ride at the second weekend in June if we get the ball rolling in the next couple of days, which works for me. I'm also good with either camping or motel. I'm in, so let me know where to send the check, money order, paypal or whatever.:D

TnNinjaGirl
April 13th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Waiting for Jody's schedule for an absolute date but mid-June is what we are going to shoot for.

I think camping will be our best bet as far as cost and getting to know each other goes.

Let's get a list together of items people should bring for their own comfort.

There is plenty of food to be purchased at area stores. Restroom items can be had nearby. Restrooms are also available at the NC Store.

Clothes would be a good item to bring. Tents for those who want them. Personal items can be kept in the tents without people messing with them. If it is a major concern items can be kept in the store under supervision of the employees. They may have a check-in area or a locker for that kind of stuff.

BlueTyke
April 14th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Pssttt....

Again personal items can be kept in a vehicle if someone trailers it to the rally...

:behindsofa:

bob706
April 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Here's a motorcycle camping checklist I found.

http://http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Any of these campsites have shower facilities? Since this is going to be a day drive for me just to get there, I don't wanna have to drive in my own funk on the group ride. :p

bob706
April 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM
http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

oops:rolleyes:

sm0kediver
April 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Schedule coming tomorrow night...

Strange
April 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
You'd see me in that area about once a year to visit my old man in Muscle Shoals AL. :D

TnNinjaGirl
April 14th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Will it be during rally time, Cory?

Strange
April 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I may be able to pull some strings, but I can't guarantee anything. : \

Sloppy2nds
April 16th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Deal's Gap is great and all but I dont think it'd be very central for SE region. Wouldnt somewhere in SC, GA, AL, be better? Im in VA currently but by the time the meets become reality Ill be in FL. Just my 2 cents.

TnNinjaGirl
April 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
We can meet anywhere anyone wants to. Just so happens Deals Gap is mecca and it's in the South East. Problem solved.

Jody, schedule?

sm0kediver
April 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM
June 5 - 12 I'm free

July 25 - Aug 1 I'm free

Weekends are hit and miss. Make it work for you and maybe I'll get lucky.

TnNinjaGirl
April 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
June 5, 6 and 7 look promising. The next weekend is Father's Day. Before is probably too soon. After starts getting pretty hot around here.

Thoughts and comments? I'd like to get an idea of how many people would like to come and think they may possibly be able to. This is not a definite list, just so I can get an idea.

sometimesido
April 17th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I might be broke to all hell coming back from cali haha.

sm0kediver
April 17th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Looks great for me. When we finalize a date I'll schedule vacation days.

TnNinjaGirl
April 17th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Would anyone like to try for week days or are we wanting to do weekend? I'm also thinking we can have it over sveral days (2 maybe 3 but that's pushing it) so people who have traveled can get some rest and not have to worry about missing anything due to issues along the way. I know Ninja's don't break down, but there's always a first time for everything. lol

bob706
April 17th, 2009, 06:44 AM
June 5-7 sounds good.

TnNinjaGirl
April 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
There are several rallies going on the weekend of June 5-7. They don't look too crazy so that's good. For the rest of the summer there will be rallies pretty much every day of the week. Just wanted everyone to be aware.

I'll start getting arrangements made for June 5-7. Please inform me either through PM or thread whether or not you plan on making it.

sometimesido
April 18th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I will try my best to make this.
I'm going to have maybe 3 days to recover for this, so here's hoping my back, my knee, and most importantly my bike survives.

jax
April 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
doubt we will be doing any camping but we will prolly ride over one day and do some visiting

sm0kediver
April 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
If we plan to be there 3 days, I'm all for playing on the Dragon one day, and maybe hitting another route another day. If the weather cooperates, this will be fun.

TnNinjaGirl
April 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
That's the plan Jody. There are several routes including Foothills Parkway, Townsend, Cherahala Skyway and the Devil's Triangle.

I'm trying to get an idea of who would like to come to see if it'd be feasible to do a longer ride, or just a short deal. 3 days may be a little much for some people but I encourage people to come and go as they please. Also, those who have a long journey to get here might enjoy more than just a few hours of "togetherness" with their fellow riders.

I'm so excited to meet you guys! This is going to be pretty awesome.

sm0kediver
April 27th, 2009, 05:27 PM
**bump**

sometimesido
May 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
damn...I may have to change route...

noche_caliente
May 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I wish I could join you guys, especially since I"mreally close - but that's my last weekend to work until october :(

sometimesido
May 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
can you edit the original post with all the important info?
thhhhhaaaaanks.

and don't forget the coversheet. ~slurp~

sometimesido
May 24th, 2009, 07:03 AM
is this still going on? if not, I'm making my trip longer. :P

TnNinjaGirl
May 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Still planning on happening. There hasn't been too much input from anyone, though.

sm0kediver
May 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I thought you were making the plans and we were showing up?

I plan to be at the Dragon that Saturday morning.

TnNinjaGirl
May 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM
As far as I know that is the plan. Everything is set up. Deciding on a final camp ground. They are all in the same vicinity and have no call-ahead sleeping.

MarkC
May 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM
If i dont have to work I am going to try and ride up there on saturday for the day if its a more the merrier type meet.

KnoxNinja
May 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM
My bikes are still poop. I'll bring up the 500R if it's not too sketchy, but the whole "fuel cutting out on the interstate" thing is not fun.

TnNinjaGirl
May 28th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Bring the 50cc. It runs fine.

KnoxNinja
May 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Hell yeah... it's like the fetus of Ninjettes. We got some more kinks worked out and we're bringing it up there tomorrow afternoon. I think that's a guaranteed spot on Killboy's front page. You should come up tomorrow and play chase cam. You can mount my Aiptek if you don't want to use yours.

Ollie
May 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
We can meet anywhere anyone wants to. Just so happens Deals Gap is mecca and it's in the South East. Problem solved.

That's the biggest part of the problem -- it could be covered up with squids and overbearing cops on the weekend. It usually is.

bob706
May 31st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm going to have to bow out of the south east rally this time. Hopefully it becomes a reccuring event because I really really want to ride around deals gap. Hope you guys have a fun and safe rally.:thumbup:

TnNinjaGirl
May 31st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Alright, next week guys. Meeting at the Tallassee Store on the TN side of Hwy 129. Camping will probably be there. It's really the only place there is cell phone service. Plus, there's a lake and a store. Need to take a tally so I can get the correct number for camping spaces.

TnNinjaGirl
June 1st, 2009, 07:42 AM
Tallassee Store
5908 US 129
Tallassee, TN 37878

Skidro
June 2nd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Will the place in Tallassee be your home base over the weekend?

Just wondering in case i don't have to work Saturday & can ride up just for the day to visit.

Thanks & Have A Fantastic Day!

TnNinjaGirl
June 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
Yes, Tallassee will be home base.

TnNinjaGirl
June 2nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Friday: Meet and greet after lunch. This gives people plenty of time to wake up, travel and get there.

Saturday: Run through the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, 68, 411 back to Maryville then back to Tallassee.

Sunday: Maryville, Townsend and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

Plans can be changed to make the routes shorter/longer depending on how we feel.

So far it doesn't look like anyone wants to come for this event so I'm not sure what to do. I know I'll be up there regardless. Please PM me or otherwise inform me so we can exchange numbers and so I can get a reliable tally.

Thanks guys!!

Skidro
June 3rd, 2009, 02:11 AM
How many, if any have you heard from that will be there?

I probably won't know until Friday morning if i have to work over the weekend and you all will already be there by then, but will ride up that way Saturday morning if no work.

TnNinjaGirl
June 3rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
So far, no one has replied if they will be there or not.

This may just turn into a regular weekend for me. If anyone *thinks* they may be able to stop by then you'll probably see me up there on Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday. Any combination of those 3 days. Give me a call if you want to meet up.

250biker
June 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hey if no ones really want to go to 129 we can meet up in Ashville and ride though Pisgah National forest, Blue Ridge Parkway, or Caesars head. I'm going to try to make it up there for one of the days. Its kind of far drive for me this weekend.

sm0kediver
June 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
I have been letting my schedule develop before I confirmed anything. Looks like I'll be able to be there at around noon on Saturday, and able to stay through noon Sunday. I am going to try and get EJ and Nathan to go too, but they're both usually tied up on Saturdays. We'll see.

Tubesock
June 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Well hello again TNNinjaGirl, if this happens on this site I'm up for it, or if it turns into a normal ride I'm up for that too.

TnNinjaGirl
June 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Sweet. 2 confirms so far.

TnNinjaGirl
June 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
I talked to Darry (Killboy). He mentioned on his website that the Ninjette.org Rally will be there this weekend. :)

Tubesock
June 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Well in that case we better not disappoint!

TnNinjaGirl
June 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm bringing a tent, toolbox and a truck. Just in case.

Tubesock
June 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Anyone else coming yet?

sm0kediver
June 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM
How do you pack a truck on a Ninja? :p

Skidro
June 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I think I'm going to be able to skip working Saturday & should be able to ride up Saturday. I will probably get up there around lunch or so, but will only be able to be up in that area for a couple of hours.

TnNinjaGirl
June 5th, 2009, 03:58 AM
How do you pack a truck on a Ninja? :p

Ninja on a truck. ;) I'm headed out, guys. See ya at the Gap.

Alex
June 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Take lots of pics! :thumbup:

noche_caliente
June 5th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm jealous - stupid work getting in the way of my fun!

sm0kediver
June 5th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I'm still on track to be there mid day tomorrow, but it's iffy if I can stay over Saturday night.

Skidro? Where in NW Ga are you? We might be on the same route in the morning.

Tubesock
June 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm going to try and come tomorrow too but my girlfriend's dad had a heart attack and idk if I'll be able to make it.

Jacksmeow
June 6th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Wish we could make it, but have to go to Jax's grandaughter's 1 year old BD party in middle tn. Have a great time and be safe!

sm0kediver
June 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I was there Saturday but never managed to meet up with anyone. I had zero cell bars from the time I got to Tellico Plains until I got to Murphy NC Saturday night. I met a couple of 250s on the Dragon a couple of times, but I didn't turn around. I'll post another thread about my day. It was great.

Skidro
June 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I was there Saturday but never managed to meet up with anyone. I had zero cell bars from the time I got to Tellico Plains until I got to Murphy NC Saturday night. I met a couple of 250s on the Dragon a couple of times, but I didn't turn around. I'll post another thread about my day. It was great.

TnNinjaGirl & i were probably the two you passed on the Dragon, but we didn't see you or any other 250s, but we thought we were keeping an eye out for you as i told her you would be there.

I kept wishing i would see you on 411 as i rode up, when i stopped for breakfast or at one of the stores, each time i stopped i parked my bike where it would be easily seen from the road in case you came by, but i didn't know if i was ahead of you. I know all that was a shot in the dark.

sm0kediver
June 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw your red bike on the Dragon, but you know how that is. You're so focused in some spots that you don't really have time to look. In your PM you mentioned stopping at Hardees. I stopped at the gas station right past there late Saturday morning (Benton TN area).

I took the long way to the Dragon apparently. I came in from the South and ran the whole Skyway to Robbinsville before I got there. It probably would have been quicker to have gone on up 411 a little further.

Great day anyway. I found out that the cruisers are no match for me in the twisties. I also learned that there's no way I could keep up with some of the 600+ cc sportbikes. I am safely somewhere in the middle. To be honest, I could upgrade to a 600 and I still wouldn't ever be able to ride with some of those guys! I saw a whole range of riders on the Dragon.

Skidro
June 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I ate at that Hardees at exactly 10:00 & topped the tank off at the station your talking about. I went up 411 and hit 72 east to 129.

I really like my 250, but you always have that desire to have bigger, faster, prettier, cooler, etc. I can always jump on my Honda Shadow 800 when i need to, but i would like to have a bigger sports bike, mainly for long rides, but the Shadow is about like riding a H.D. & wears me out more than the little Ninja.

Glad you had an enjoyable/safe ride, and i will look for your pictures on one of the sites.

TnNinjaGirl
June 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Hey guys!! Finally made it back to town. Bike broke on me so I'll have to figure out what happened. Troy and I had a pretty good time. Saw a BUNCH of 250's up there this weekend. Had the pleasure of riding with a couple of them. Refered them to Ninjette.org of course. ;)

Tried to make everyone proud by smoking the 600 and liter bike guys. It's getting too easy... I may have to move to a bigger bike so I can go slower.

KnoxNinja
June 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Heh, I crashed.

Alex
June 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Big :crash: or little :crash:?

Snake
June 8th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Wow sorry to hear that. How are you doing now?

Snake
June 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Hey guys!! Finally made it back to town. Bike broke on me so I'll have to figure out what happened. Troy and I had a pretty good time. Saw a BUNCH of 250's up there this weekend. Had the pleasure of riding with a couple of them. Refered them to Ninjette.org of course. ;)

Tried to make everyone proud by smoking the 600 and liter bike guys. It's getting too easy... I may have to move to a bigger bike so I can go slower.

I love it when a 250 outdoes the big bikes. You know though alot of credit has to go to the rider. Good job CB. :thumbup:

KnoxNinja
June 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM
30mph lowside in a hairpin... I'll post the video in here too. No injuries, and the bike still got us both home!

noche_caliente
June 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
30mph lowside in a hairpin... I'll post the video in here too. No injuries, and the bike still got us both home!

OMG. It's so much worse watching those videos when you *know* the person. My stomach was in a knot, especially with all the traffic.

How does the bike look? What gear were you wearing to keep you without a scratch? Did you hang any parts on the tree?

I am SO glad you are ok!

KnoxNinja
June 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Damage overview:

Casualties:
Bar end
Right mirror
Rear brake lever
Muzzy plate on muffler

Salvagable:
Upper and lower fairings
Front brake lever
Muffler
Footpegs

Not bad at all. The bike even started right up. I was wearing my Scorpion EXO helmet, Alpinestars leather armored jacket, leather gloves, boots, and some Old Navy denim. Those jeans held up way better than I could expect. 30mph on pavement didn't even rip a hole in them.

sm0kediver
June 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
yikes