View Full Version : Problem after front suspension change

ForceofWill
March 10th, 2014, 03:43 PM
So I just got done buttoning up the front of the bike. Did Springs and Emulators. Put everything back together and then set the forks 12mm above the triple. Problem is the front end is WAY too high off the ground now. Like the forks are too long. I mean it's so high that I can't even attach the speedo cable and my front stand that I have won't even lift it from the triple tree now.

WTF did I do?

Boosted139
March 10th, 2014, 04:02 PM
When you did your springs did you cut your spacers to the proper height? Also, is your front suspension super stiff? Can you bounce the forks?

ForceofWill
March 10th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I cut the spacers to make the new springs + spacers the same length as the stock springs + spacers.

I can compress the forks after I put them together on the ground, but it's pretty stiff on the bike.

ForceofWill
March 10th, 2014, 04:10 PM
When you did your springs did you cut your spacers to the proper height? Also, is your front suspension super stiff? Can you bounce the forks?

I also put the caps back on the forks while they were in my vice and were fully extended.

Motofool
March 10th, 2014, 04:11 PM
I cut the spacers to make the new springs + spacers the same length as the stock springs + spacers.

I can compress the forks after I put them together on the ground, but it's pretty stiff on the bike.

You may have a hydraulic lock if your level of oil is too high.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_replace_the_fork_oil%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removing_and_installing_forks

Otherwise, reduce the length of the spacers.
That is what Keith Code is doing when adjusting the pre-load of the springs in this video; only that your bike has not an easy regulation: test and cut, test and cut, test and cut.
Your springs should compress certain sag under the weight of the bike+rider.

zNrbCLXJ01I

Boosted139
March 10th, 2014, 04:14 PM
What he said ^^^

Sounds like spacers are too big

ForceofWill
March 10th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Alrighty, back to more trial and error hah.

misfitsailor
March 10th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I had forks that would not compress once. Turned out that the shop had overfilled them during "service".

Boosted139
March 10th, 2014, 04:16 PM

Shouldn't be trial and error. It's math. Kind of.

Boosted139
March 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Also did you drill the dampening rods?

ForceofWill
March 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Also did you drill the dampening rods?

Ya, they have 6 holes in them each like it said to. I'm at 130mm of oil. Should I go less oil?

Motofool
March 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM

Please, re-read my above post; I just edited it and added two links.

ForceofWill
March 10th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Please, re-read my above post; I just edited it and added two links.

Ya, I was using all the DIYs from ninja250.org. Gonna try the suggestions out and see where it lands me.

ForceofWill
March 10th, 2014, 04:42 PM
What he said ^^^

Sounds like spacers are too big

I just realized that I didn't take into account the Emulators when I did the spacer. So they're most likely way too long.

Gonna do some math and cut them now.

simook
March 10th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I just realized that I didn't take into account the Emulators when I did the spacer. So they're most likely way too long.

Gonna do some math and cut them now.

I was just going to ask if you took into account the emulators and washers.

ForceofWill
March 10th, 2014, 06:17 PM
So I cut the spacers down and there's no preload now. They're barely touching the bottom of cap after installed. Still the same crap. Its like the forks are too long or something. I can compress them both fully and they feel smooth.

Does anyone know how high the front should be stock? The forks stock were extremely soft, like I could just hold the front end to the ground before. And when I took them out and drained them there was hardly any oil in them both. So maybe what I think is stock height is actually really low?

I'm calling it for a night, pissing me off.

dino74
March 10th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I mean it's so high that I can't even attach the speedo cable and my front stand that I have won't even lift it from the triple tree now.

If you can't connect the speedo cable then its not the spacers or oil height. If the forks are fully extended, the speedo cable should still reach.

The only way I could imagine this happening would be if you didn't put the damper rod through the upper fork. That is the upper fork is hitting the top of the damper rod.

ForceofWill
March 10th, 2014, 06:21 PM
If you can't connect the speedo cable then its not the spacers or oil height. If the forks are fully extended, the speedo cable should still reach.

The only way I could imagine this happening would be if you didn't put the damper rod through the upper fork. That is the upper fork is hitting the top of the damper rod.

Omfg you have to be kidding me lol. I bolted the damper rod in and then put the upper fork over it. Hahaha Jesus I'm a retard.

This is why you need to do one mod at a time. I took the front apart then moved on and did the whole rear. By the time i started the front again the next day I totally gapped it.

ForceofWill
March 11th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Just so everyone can see how much an idiot I am and so no one else does it. This is what the difference between putting the damper rod under or over the top fork does.

Thanks again Dino, lol.
http://i.imgur.com/hIMug2y.jpg?1

Motofool
March 11th, 2014, 04:53 PM
.........This is what the difference between putting the damper rod under or over the top fork does.......

:eek: :eek: :eek:

subxero
March 19th, 2014, 10:04 AM
ForceofWill how much fork oil did you end up putting in?

ForceofWill
March 19th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I ended up going with 130mm 15wt. That's what racetech recommended with the GVE.