View Full Version : Getting a 300

Han Solo 1
March 13th, 2014, 01:02 PM
So it looks like I'll be getting a 2013 SE this weekend.

I don't plan on doing much highway riding, but how does this do on the highway vs the 250? On the 250 I felt as I'd shake off the thing. Any difference on the 300?

Also, do you guys REALLY notice a difference in clutch use vs the non-slip-clutch 250?

I'm really looking forward to not having carbs to mess with or wait for anymore.

jeffb502
March 13th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I never felt like I'd shake off my 250 on the highway. The 300 feels a little better, but is not a huge difference. It cruises at 80mph just fine at around 9000rpm I think, with plenty left. For prolonged highway riding a lot of people like to go up 1 tooth on the front sprocket. Even stock I think it's fine on the highway. I rode from Santa Maria to Orange County a while ago and never felt like the 300 was underpowered or too light to be on the freeway.

My 2010 250 had about 16,000 miles on it. The clutch lever on my 250 was very firm compared to my 300, which just turned over 2,000 miles. I prefer the smooth, light clutch on the 300. As a learning rider I think of the slipper clutch as more of a safety feature to help control the bike when I do something stupid, like ABS (which my 300 doesn't have). On the 250 one time I accidentally downshifted into 2nd and dumped the clutch approaching a corner, and I could feel the back end start to drift side to side a bit. My understanding is the slipper clutch on the 300 would help prevent this type of loss of traction due to improper/unintended rider input. I don't know if I would feel it kick in like ABS, and I'm not confident enough (and don't even know what to do) to intentionally do something that would make the slipper clutch work. Quite simply, I haven't noticed a difference with the slipper clutch, but I think it's a nice thing to have just in case, like ABS.

The fuel injection is indeed an improvement. I also prefer the dashboard/gauges on the 300 to those of the 250.

Alex
March 13th, 2014, 01:22 PM
It's moderately smoother on the highway. Partly due to higher gearing (which you can get by changing sprockets on earlier bikes), partly due to a smoother engine, and partly due to slightly relaxed steering geometry.

Clutch is slightly lighter effort, and does take a smidge of getting used in terms of feel. But it's not night and day, and the slipper function rarely comes into play in street usage.

old3
March 13th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I use the slipper all the time, but I have a dirt/sumoto background where that is a very common cornering style.

Shake you off it??? LOL, I have to say it almost every single time,

STEERING HEAD BEARINGS!!! :dancecool:

They all share a crappy bearing type, and low quality to boot. All Balls tapered rollers are around $40 and a 2 hour job taking your time. Do it.

Gear it too, it pulls the taller gearing pretty effortlessly. I find the +1 CS swap a good match to what is "common" street bike gearing.

I find the 300 a huge upgrade over the 2012 250 my son bought new, many don't feel much difference, I can't explain that.

Han Solo 1
March 13th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I use the slipper all the time, but I have a dirt/sumoto background where that is a very common cornering style.

Shake you off it??? LOL, I have to say it almost every single time,

STEERING HEAD BEARINGS!!! :dancecool:

They all share a crappy bearing type, and low quality to boot. All Balls tapered rollers are around $40 and a 2 hour job taking your time. Do it.

Gear it too, it pulls the taller gearing pretty effortlessly. I find the +1 CS swap a good match to what is "common" street bike gearing.

I find the 300 a huge upgrade over the 2012 250 my son bought new, many don't feel much difference, I can't explain that.

I've read your many posts on the bearings issue, and I think you've scared me enough to get them changed. If I can do it myself, I will. If not, I will have to wait until later on in the summer and have someone else do it.

One's thing for sure, though: I'm not going to do your test where I have it give me a violent head shake/tank slapper so I can tell if it's an issue or not. I'd rather just take your word for it.

old3
March 13th, 2014, 02:36 PM
:rotflmao:

It's not that bad, just release the bars at 50 MPH and keep your hands very close and ready to grab them. If they are shot/loose the bars will start to wag.I haven't had it go full stop to stop yet, usually up to about a 2" wobble in that scenario.

Of course, if you are not skilled enough to be confident trying this, do not do it!!!

Also, it should be done in a controlled setting, closed course, no traffic, etc... I'm not advocating everyone do this test, but many have learned from "no hands' bicycle riding and it is pretty much the same.

The bike should simply track straight ahead. Tire cupping can cause this too, but I've actually dialed mine into and out of doing exactly this with bearing preload. With the loose balls, correct preload can't be set if the race is scarred or the balls are moving off their plane. You can set it, but turning the stem in the balls changes it if they can't be held in place, and the point of contact is super tiny.

The thing about the 50 MPH point is as it drops speed, it pretty much wobbles then regains control. If you have a more precision feel for the steering, you can feel the stem walking at speed in turns or not with your hands holding the bars too. The tire kinda hunts for its line, despite you having picked one for it.

Han Solo 1
March 13th, 2014, 03:02 PM
:rotflmao:

It's not that bad, just release the bars at 50 MPH and keep your hands very close and ready to grab them. If they are shot/loose the bars will start to wag.I haven't had it go full stop to stop yet, usually up to about a 2" wobble in that scenario.

Of course, if you are not skilled enough to be confident trying this, do not do it!!!

Also, it should be done in a controlled setting, closed course, no traffic, etc... I'm not advocating everyone do this test, but many have learned from "no hands' bicycle riding and it is pretty much the same.

The bike should simply track straight ahead. Tire cupping can cause this too, but I've actually dialed mine into and out of doing exactly this with bearing preload. With the loose balls, correct preload can't be set if the race is scarred or the balls are moving off their plane. You can set it, but turning the stem in the balls changes it if they can't be held in place, and the point of contact is super tiny.

The thing about the 50 MPH point is as it drops speed, it pretty much wobbles then regains control. If you have a more precision feel for the steering, you can feel the stem walking at speed in turns or not with your hands holding the bars too. The tire kinda hunts for its line, despite you having picked one for it.

So after it's all said and done, which ball bearings do you recommend?

And is this something I can do myself with no specialized tools other than a simple stand?

old3
March 13th, 2014, 03:19 PM
All Balls tapered roller bearings are the same pn from the 08-12 250. They work really well.

Have you taken the forks and front wheel apart yet? It is pretty basic stuff, a hammer & a few sockets/extensions are the minimal tools to drive the races in. Bearing press is another method, I think someone here just bought one. Yu need the front wheel off the ground and the bike supported well. I used a floor jack, a plywood "plate" and the side stand as a third leg with the rear tire touching too. Just watch bumping into it like that!

Read up on it, someone just did a pretty good tutorial recently. If I come across it I'll link it here.

Han Solo 1
March 13th, 2014, 03:20 PM
All Balls tapered roller bearings are the same pn from the 08-12 250. They work really well.

Have you taken the forks and front wheel apart yet? It is pretty basic stuff, a hammer & a few sockets/extensions are the minimal tools to drive the races in. Bearing press is another method, I think someone here just bought one. Yu need the front wheel off the ground and the bike supported well. I used a floor jack, a plywood "plate" and the side stand as a third leg with the rear tire touching too. Just watch bumping into it like that!

Read up on it, someone just did a pretty good tutorial recently. If I come across it I'll link it here.

Ok. I think I can do it then.

Ball bearings, SS brake lines, better brake pads, and some new Pirelli's are on my to-do list this season.

old3
March 13th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Ok. I think I can do it then.

Ball bearings, SS brake lines, better brake pads, and some new Pirelli's are on my to-do list this season.

If you hit a snag, you know where to ask. Plenty of the riders here have swapped them in, some even did it twice! :eek:

eddiekay
March 13th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Jim...so after talking to you last year I got the bearings from Hard racing.....still in the box. Now...granted I only have a little over 3k on the bike but no wiggle, vibes, nothing bad. I wouldn't argue with a guy from jersey but.....are you sure you don't have the DT's or something ?
We'll meet up this season...eddie

ninjamunky85
March 13th, 2014, 07:18 PM
To me the 300 is a nice, but not major, improvement over the 250. Not messing with a choke is nice. Not having the front end almost bottom out when braking is nice. The added power is nice, mostly I notice the extra torque at slow speeds. The slipper clutch is probably more beneficial to inexperienced riders, or those who track their 300. Obviously the look of the bike is more modern as well.

I still have the stock steering bearings, and have had no problem with them. The bike rides straight as an arrow with no head shake, even when I take my hands off the bars.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Is there a risk to waiting for new ball bearings? If I wait too long and let the stock ones do their thing, will it damage the bike in a way that's not fixable?

I really would like to get some SS brake lines and new pads, just to inspire some confidence. This model doesn't have the ABS option so I'd like to do the best I can in that department.

After that, maybe some new Pirelli's for better grip and cornering. (Although it will be hard to convince the boss/wife that I need new tires on a 1 year old bike that has 2,300 miles. I can slash one of them at work, but that would probably cause her unneeded stress.)

And THEN ball bearings.

csmith12
March 14th, 2014, 07:23 AM
There will be no harm in waiting on the bearings if you feel you would benefit and gain confidence from tires and brakes. That is just plain and simple common sense.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Dammit.

Now this guy is telling me he can't do it this weekend.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this sale. Damn thing is, there aren't any other ones in perfect condition in the area.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I think I'm going to be ok. Renting a U-haul motorcycle trailer for $15 and just going up and getting it myself.

Ugh. It's always something. . .

I really want it this weekend because next week it's all sun and 70's!!

:cool:

old3
March 14th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Jim...so after talking to you last year I got the bearings from Hard racing.....still in the box. Now...granted I only have a little over 3k on the bike but no wiggle, vibes, nothing bad. I wouldn't argue with a guy from jersey but.....are you sure you don't have the DT's or something ?
We'll meet up this season...eddie

I might Eddie!!! That would explain a lot buddy! :D

Yes, as soon as you can stand the weather we shall take a good ride out in the hills.

So, Eddie, you did the 50 MPH hands off test too? I'm betting those Long Island pot holes did more damage than you know in the steering head.

old3
March 14th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Is there a risk to waiting for new ball bearings? If I wait too long and let the stock ones do their thing, will it damage the bike in a way that's not fixable?

I really would like to get some SS brake lines and new pads, just to inspire some confidence. This model doesn't have the ABS option so I'd like to do the best I can in that department.

After that, maybe some new Pirelli's for better grip and cornering. (Although it will be hard to convince the boss/wife that I need new tires on a 1 year old bike that has 2,300 miles. I can slash one of them at work, but that would probably cause her unneeded stress.)

And THEN ball bearings.

No risk, it'll just be that much more of a positive difference when you get to them. Several claim to have no issues with the stockers, and that is great. There have been enough who have had issues in even very low mile bikes, and who reported great improvement after swapping to make it an actual "thing" with these bikes.

I think some just expect a crappy overall feel, and the stock bearings are a big part of that "looseness" these have. I wish I'd have done these on my Ninja 500 years ago, but I said to myself, it is brand new, how could any bearings be bad. looking back, I know this was the problem with it, but I lived with it like a dummy. Sold the bike at 10k miles partially because it was suck a clapped out feeling machine.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 12:47 PM
So now it looks like Sunday.

Argh. How long does it freaking take to de-winterize a bike?

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I don't like that the whole process has so far been a hassle.

The seller is hemming and hawing about handing it over this weekend. His first excuse is that he has to de-wintersize it so he couldn’t deliver it yesterday, but has to wait til this weekend. First he was going to ride it down to me (he lives 1 ½ hours away) tomorrow. Then he says it’s too cold tomorrow and he just got over being sick, so it will have to be next weekend. So I offer to go up there with a motorcycle trailer (from u-haul) and pick it up. He then says to give him a few hours to “confirm”. Then he gets back to me and asks for me to do it on Sunday. Fine, whatever.

I just don’t like deals that aren’t butter-smooth; it gives me a suspicion about something being wrong.

So, am I just being paranoid? If I’m not, I’d like to ask you a question.

Say you’ve got $4,500 budgeted for a motorcycle. Is the 300 automatically the best choice?

antiant
March 14th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I personally wouldn't do the deal with this dude, he is too flakey. Flakey = usually more headaches and problems, or potentially hiding something. The guy either wants the money or he doesn't.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I personally wouldn't do the deal with this dude, he is too flakey. Flakey = usually more headaches and problems, or potentially hiding something. The guy either wants the money or he doesn't.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Only thing is, there is literally only one other 300 in my area, and it's been down and scratched up.

jeffb502
March 14th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I'm usually a little suspicious when there are no pictures posted. The delays and excuses are bad. Maybe he doesn't want to sell it but his wife told him he has to? Or maybe he's just one of those people that goes through life constantly making excuses.

Sometimes you run across some weird people on Craigslist, both selling and buying. Have you confirmed yet that he has a clear title with no leinholders, etc.? Regarding the de-winterizing... if you have a trailer couldn't you just offer a couple hundred less and take it away "winterized"?

The 300 is not automatically the best choice, but it is a good one. It's the best choice for me right now because I'm still learning, but I could see myself wanting a 650 or some other slightly larger bike in the near future as a longer distance slab type bike. If I could only have one right now it would be the 300.

There's a 650 on Craigslist near me that the person has posted and I'm considering trading one of my extra 4 wheeled vehicles for it since nobody seems to want to buy them. The 650 has been up for a while asking $3500 (it's a 2007) but they recently dropped the asking price to $3000 and mentioned they'd be willing to trade for a car or truck. I figure I can keep learning on the 300, but take the 650 out every now and then to get the feel for something with a little more power and a little more weight to see if that's for me. If I had $4500 and a little more experience I might consider a used 650 as my only bike, but I haven't ridden one yet so I really don't know, and I really like my 300.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I'm usually a little suspicious when there are no pictures posted. The delays and excuses are bad. Maybe he doesn't want to sell it but his wife told him he has to? Or maybe he's just one of those people that goes through life constantly making excuses.

Sometimes you run across some weird people on Craigslist, both selling and buying. Have you confirmed yet that he has a clear title with no leinholders, etc.? Regarding the de-winterizing... if you have a trailer couldn't you just offer a couple hundred less and take it away "winterized"?

The 300 is not automatically the best choice, but it is a good one. It's the best choice for me right now because I'm still learning, but I could see myself wanting a 650 or some other slightly larger bike in the near future as a longer distance slab type bike. If I could only have one right now it would be the 300.

There's a 650 on Craigslist near me that the person has posted and I'm considering trading one of my extra 4 wheeled vehicles for it since nobody seems to want to buy them. The 650 has been up for a while asking $3500 (it's a 2007) but they recently dropped the asking price to $3000 and mentioned they'd be willing to trade for a car or truck. I figure I can keep learning on the 300, but take the 650 out every now and then to get the feel for something with a little more power and a little more weight to see if that's for me. If I had $4500 and a little more experience I might consider a used 650 as my only bike, but I haven't ridden one yet so I really don't know, and I really like my 300.

Really good points. I have an uneasy feeling, but I'm not sure why. He does have a picture up, but it's just the one pic. It looks to be in good shape, and besides, I will give it a thorough inspection when I see it.

I'd just hate to drive all the way up there and find it less than advertised.

I just emailed the other Ninja 300 in my area to see if I can get some more pics, how bad the scratches on the plastics are, etc. I think it's got scratches on both sides of the plastics. But it's a white model, so they probably aren't as hard to get as the SE plastics.

I don't know. I'm pretty frustrated. It's not the extra day of waiting, it's the not knowing if I can trust this guy.

allanoue
March 14th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I love my 300
I payed a grand more for my 300 but it was right out of the crate.
I would rather get your deal, but there were no used 300 a year ago.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Ok, so then the question is:

A white 2013 300 with a few minor scratches from falling over in the dirt, supposedly?

Or the green SE with no blemishes?

The green is about $300 or $400 more than the white. Both have about same mileage, white has a few hundred more.

allanoue
March 14th, 2014, 01:32 PM
white is faster

jeffb502
March 14th, 2014, 01:40 PM
My white 300 has a few scratches. It looks like it went down at very slow speed on the right side. I noticed when looking very closely at it, but usually I have to point the scratches out to people that are looking at it because they don't notice them. A seller that's willing to tell you up front there are some minor scratches is better than somebody that just remains silent and lets you find the defects. To me somebody that lists the faults in the ads implies an openness/honesty that's better than a short ad with just the basics and a "you find out what's wrong with it" vibe.

Personally I like white vehicles with black accents, so I'm a bit biased. Both of my cars and my Yukon are white with a little black here and there.

That said, I think my favorite 300 is the solid green that we don't get here in the US. I'm not a big fan of the SE color schemes, especially the '14 ones, but it's all a matter of personal preference. If it's just color and a few scratches and they're pretty much the same mechanically I'd take the white one for a bit less. How much does the guy want for the white 300? Is the white one closer to you? Are you sure the SE is in perfect condition without having seen it?

ez12a
March 14th, 2014, 01:48 PM
falling over in the dirt, does that mean while parked it was knocked over or was he riding it in the dirt when it fell over? Falling over while he was standing still isnt too bad. My bike fell over on both sides while stopped and the damage was only superficial.

SE have ABS too? that makes it definitely worth.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 01:49 PM
If it's just color and a few scratches and they're pretty much the same mechanically I'd take the white one for a bit less. How much does the guy want for the white 300? Is the white one closer to you? Are you sure the SE is in perfect condition without having seen it?

The "White" seller says that it's mechanically perfect, and the "Green" seller it's cosmetically and mechanically perfect. I haven't seen either one.

White says he wants 4300, vs 4500 for the green. White is closer to me and is willing to drive out here to show it. Has red rear-sets. I've never had rear-sets so I don't know if I like that. He also has a fender eliminator kit, which I do like.

It might be worth it if I can get the white to go down a bit, using scratches as an excuse, and then spend the savings on some SS brake lines or something.

I wonder how much new plastics cost for the white 300. . .

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 01:50 PM
falling over in the dirt, does that mean while parked it was knocked over or was he riding it in the dirt when it fell over? Falling over while he was standing still isnt too bad. My bike fell over on both sides while stopped and the damage was only superficial.

SE have ABS too? that makes it definitely worth.

No, this green SE doesn't have ABS.

White says it was dropped "a few times" while parked in the dirt. I don't like the "few times", plural, but maybe I should at least take a look.

It also says that the exhaust has scratches on it, too.

allanoue
March 14th, 2014, 02:02 PM
You should have no problem getting the white 300 for 4.1k and scratches can be painted for cheap, as long as they are not cracked.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 02:08 PM
You should have no problem getting the white 300 for 4.1k and scratches can be painted for cheap, as long as they are not cracked.

He sent me a bunch of pics of scratches. No cracks. Looks like a good paint job would fix them up.

I just asked if he'd do 4k. We'll see.

If so, I might jump on it. Saving $500 is worth a few scratches.

jeffb502
March 14th, 2014, 02:11 PM
The "White" seller says that it's mechanically perfect, and the "Green" seller it's cosmetically and mechanically perfect. I haven't seen either one.

White says he wants 4300, vs 4500 for the green. White is closer to me and is willing to drive out here to show it. Has red rear-sets. I've never had rear-sets so I don't know if I like that. He also has a fender eliminator kit, which I do like.

It might be worth it if I can get the white to go down a bit, using scratches as an excuse, and then spend the savings on some SS brake lines or something.

I wonder how much new plastics cost for the white 300. . .

I got my used white one from a motorcycle dealer that was asking $3999 for it. It had a little under 1300 miles on it. I thought that was a good deal so I didn't negotiate much. It wound up being $4350 out the door after taxes, fees, "safety inspection and other b.s. charges not mentioned in the ad" etc. It broke down as follows:

Base Price $3662.22
Dealer Prep/Freight/Safety Fee $195
Doc Fee $65

Subtotal- Vehicle Cost: $3922.22
(this is what the DMV and I consider to be the price of the vehicle)

Sales tax (8%): $313.78
DMV Fees: $114

Total: $4350

I'd say since you most likely have to pay the taxes and registration yourself on a private party transaction you should be able to get him down to at least $3900-4000, depending on the damage and local market conditions.

antiant
March 14th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I'm with the white, then again I have that color. Mine also has a few scratches from noob drops, but it's barely noticeable from afar.

ally99
March 14th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I love the slipper clutch! Compared to my old 250, it's like a hot knife through butter smooth. It may be slightly smoother than the 250, but I never felt like I was getting shaken around on the 250 either. I liked my 300 from day one, but I LOVED it after taking it on the track! It outperforms the 250 hands-down. There's much less shifting to be done and no bogging since the power band has a wider range on the 300 than it did on the 250.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I'd say since you most likely have to pay the taxes and registration yourself on a private party transaction you should be able to get him down to at least $3900-4000, depending on the damage and local market conditions.

Mine also has a few scratches from noob drops, but it's barely noticeable from afar.

He said yes to 4k, and we are going to meet up tomorrow night, but. . . .

Now I'm not so sure. I keep asking him how many scratches it has, was it stationary when it fell, etc. etc. etc., and he answers each question just fine.

But then I find out that he's covered it in vinyl and plastidip. I ask him if can please take that off, I'm not a big fan of it. He says sure.

Then it occurs to me to ask him if there are any cracks, or just scratches. Now he tells me that yes, one piece is "broken" but there is a replacement piece coming next week. (He never mentioned this until I asked). And that "if anything else is cracked when I take off the vinyl, I will replace it".

He is going to mail me the replacement piece next week when it gets here, along with the title "if I get it by then". (I did know that he hadn't paid it off completely yet, but still, that sounds off.)

I think I will go with the green one after all, just for the peace of mind.

The "broken piece" tells me that there might be more than just a couple of falls. And some of the scratches are fairly deep and long. The black material shows through the paint.

ez12a
March 14th, 2014, 02:34 PM
yeah..how does he not know there are other cracks? i bet the vinyl was there to cover them up for cheap. Also dont bother with a guy with no title. Pass.

reminds me of this one bike, i think it was like a 2013 CBR600RR and the guy owed like 8k on it and it had a blown motor. ha yeah right.

antiant
March 14th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Do what you will, but I personally wouldn't go with either of these people. I know you want a bike, but sometimes patience is key. There are too many red flags for my liking.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Do what you will, but I personally wouldn't go with either of these people. I know you want a bike, but sometimes patience is key. There are too many red flags for my liking.

I know what you're saying. But these have been the only 300's in the last two or three months. I've been checking.

I don't know. . . .

old3
March 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Is your area one of the high markup spots for new bikes? I paid $5400 OTD with tax & tags for a new 13 in white. With the usual type of people who buy these, (read no experience with motos), buying new is a nice way to be sure it wasn't shifted into 1st gear at 75 MPH or other things that you will never know till it pops.

Start new bike shopping IMO. At those prices, why not?

A used white one, 1300 miles IIRC, in NY was listed for $3300 a few months ago.

antiant
March 14th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Do you need a 300 or do you want a 300? Is it your only means of transportation? If it is not, give it time. Based on what you've been telling us about these two people, I wouldn't feel comfortable. I can't imagine paying that much money, only to find out that more money needs to be put into it, especially when you could have essentially bought a whole new bike.

On the other hand... http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Kawasaki-Ninja-300-300-111088738. You could probably get them down to 4,500, tell them you have cash.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Is your area one of the high markup spots for new bikes?

A used white one, 1300 miles IIRC, in NY was listed for $3300 a few months ago.

I think this is one of those areas. Not like California, but it's hard to find cheap bikes. Used 2008 250's regularly sell around here for high 2000's or low 3's.

Do you need a 300 or do you want a 300? Is it your only means of transportation? If it is not, give it time. Based on what you've been telling us about these two people, I wouldn't feel comfortable. I can't imagine paying that much money, only to find out that more money needs to be put into it, especially when you could have essentially bought a whole new bike.

On the other hand... http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Kawasaki-Ninja-300-300-111088738. You could probably get them down to 4,500, tell them you have cash.

I do need transportation, since we only have 1 car. Otherwise it's the bus, and in sometimes sketchy parts of the city, not to mention it kills any flexibility with your schedule.

I saw that posting, but you have to add another thousand with their sneaky fees and stuff. A new 2014 SE with ABS, at supposedly $5499, ended up being quoted a total approaching $7k.

They are shameless.

antiant
March 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM
:(

old3
March 14th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I heard a radio ad for a new CBR250 at $3449 last week. Not a Ninja 300, but hey, I'd probably choose that new over a used 300 with questionable heritage. IMO, equal or better than the Ninja 250. Good, not great? Lots of potential there as it has the same deficiencies as our 300. A lil lighter, maybe better on gas. Top cruise speed is lower but it should be a decent bike to use a few years.

Suzuki has the new GW250 at $3999. Again, no Ninja, but suppose to be OK comfort and MPG.

Something to think about anyway.

I'd be walking into dealerships with a firm "no extra fees" attitude. Fair price, tax and registration. Not a penny more. They are making a good deal at MSRP. It is their right to want more, but you can walk out and go elsewhere.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I heard a radio ad for a new CBR250 at $3449 last week. Not a Ninja 300, but hey, I'd probably choose that new over a used 300 with questionable heritage. IMO, equal or better than the Ninja 250. Good, not great? Lots of potential there as it has the same deficiencies as our 300. A lil lighter, maybe better on gas. Top cruise speed is lower but it should be a decent bike to use a few years.

Suzuki has the new GW250 at $3999. Again, no Ninja, but suppose to be OK comfort and MPG.

Something to think about anyway.

I'd be walking into dealerships with a firm "no extra fees" attitude. Fair price, tax and registration. Not a penny more. They are making a good deal at MSRP. It is their right to want more, but you can walk out and go elsewhere.

There are actually about 3 or 4 cbr250's in the local market, 2012 and older, and most expensive is around 3500, not bad.

I really don't like the single headlight look though, and that exhaust looks like someone stuck a trumpet on there.

But yes, they are considerably cheaper. ....

I just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 04:29 PM
The hell.....????

http://www.hondaabq.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=3578019

old3
March 14th, 2014, 04:30 PM
There are actually about 3 or 4 cbr250's in the local market, 2012 and older, and most expensive is around 3500, not bad.

I really don't like the single headlight look though, and that exhaust looks like someone stuck a trumpet on there.

But yes, they are considerably cheaper. ....

I just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

That was for brand new, not used. I'm not nuts about the looks either but behind the bars it looks better than a bus seat! :thumbup:

I think you need to hit a few dealerships and seriously talk to them with a strong set of rules you put on yourself. No fees being one of them.

Get a ride on the CBR too. Why not. Try to ride them all if you can. Looks aren't as important as the things you feel when riding the bike.

old3
March 14th, 2014, 04:31 PM
The hell.....????

http://www.hondaabq.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=3578019

There ya go. probably expect some BS fees to be on top of that, but it isn't a bad starting point. They will want them gone for the new CBR300 on the way.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 04:35 PM
There ya go. probably expect some BS fees to be on top of that, but it isn't a bad starting point. They will want them gone for the new CBR300 on the way.

Yeah, but do I want it?

I just called and they said 3600 out the door.

But do I want it?

antiant
March 14th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Eww Honda.

old3
March 14th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Yeah, but do I want it?

I just called and they said 3600 out the door.

But do I want it?

Well, it is a new bike that is cheaper than a used bike, with plenty of potential to do just about anything. Ultimately, only you can decide what you want. I could live with it if I had that dangled in front of me when I bought mine OTD at $5400.

That is a lot of modding $$$.

Pipe, tuner, tires, suspension, brakes... No brainer to me.

It'll never be a Ninja 300 power wise, but everything else besides appearance is about the same.

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Well, it is a new bike that is cheaper than a used bike, with plenty of potential to do just about anything. Ultimately, only you can decide what you want. I could live with it if I had that dangled in front of me when I bought mine OTD at $5400.

That is a lot of modding $$$.

Pipe, tuner, tires, suspension, brakes... No brainer to me.

It'll never be a Ninja 300 power wise, but everything else besides appearance is about the same.

Yes, I see your point. . . I don't know. I have to sleep on it

allanoue
March 14th, 2014, 05:02 PM
take a looksee at the white ex300 then decide

Han Solo 1
March 14th, 2014, 07:54 PM
take a looksee at the white ex300 then decide

And test ride the cbr250.

old3
March 14th, 2014, 08:22 PM
You might want to register at the CBR250 forum and look around a bit too. I went over to take a peek myself. You could do much worse than a new one OTD at that price.

Xtina
March 14th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Look at both and see if they are worth the price. If not, wait. Nothing worse than buyers remorse.

eddiekay
March 14th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Jim...been a punk for the past 2 months.....havent ridden 300 miles( even with my 'lectrics) How far are you from that highest park in jersey....somewhere near 23 i think....tiny raods from peak down to deckertown pike.

old3
March 15th, 2014, 06:43 AM
About 45 minutes Eddie. That is High Point State Park. Nice views. It isn't far from Hawk's Nest and all the great roads out beyond that to the north and west into Pa. and further into NY. I'll guide you up there when everything melts.

All good county roads up there. You can't go wrong really.

I haven't been on mine in a few months now myself. Not like me really. The 300 is waiting for a new brake caliper bracket to match the 320mm rotor, and before that, it has just been too icy up here. I still have 3-5' of snow in my yard.

Han Solo 1
March 15th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Cbr250 forums, unsurprisingly, opine that the Honda is better suited for me. And at a thousand dollars less and no hassle of driving far away to get a bike, my logical brain agrees.

But I love the look of the green SE Ninja, and the idea of more hp, even though I will rarely need it (99% of my riding is commuting with no highway).

But is it worth another thousand?..

Ugh. I could use that extra thousand on tires for the cbr, camping equipment for the summer, etc.

Ach! I hate being human.

old3
March 15th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Both have the same deficiencies in common, i.e. tires, seat, brakes, suspension. Either will need all the same parts you would throw at the other. So, I'd say, given your actual needs, the CBR leaves you more room to make it better fit you right away.

Popping around locally, no high speeds? Sounds like a slam dunk.

My brother walked into a dealership about 2 years ago. They had a KLX250 on sale for about the same price as this CBR. He didn't need a bike, but he bought it. He now uses it as his primary street bike. He said he couldn't afford to pass up that much of a deal.

New bike at used bike price. We should all be this lucky! :thumbup:

Han Solo 1
March 15th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Both have the same deficiencies in common, i.e. tires, seat, brakes, suspension. Either will need all the same parts you would throw at the other. So, I'd say, given your actual needs, the CBR leaves you more room to make it better fit you right away.

Popping around locally, no high speeds? Sounds like a slam dunk.

My brother walked into a dealership about 2 years ago. They had a KLX250 on sale for about the same price as this CBR. He didn't need a bike, but he bought it. He now uses it as his primary street bike. He said he couldn't afford to pass up that much of a deal.

New bike at used bike price. We should all be this lucky! :thumbup:

I know. I could throw on some pirelli's, SS brake lines, new brake pads, and I would still be out ahead.

I'm on my way over to the dealership with my friend as I type this.

They are letting me test ride it and it was just uncrated today, it's ready to go.

old3
March 15th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Good luck, hopefully you fall in love with it, save some cash AND be happy. :thumbup:

If you don't like it, nothing lost but a lil time looking at bikes. Always fun anyway.

oblivion007
March 15th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I remember costco has something to do with Kawasaki and no stupid fee's and what not. Got a membership or one near you? If so I'd check if the 300 is available through them.
Nevermind, just read the CBR250 discussion.

Han Solo 1
March 15th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Just picked up a new cbr250, red. 3650 out the door.

Love it!!

dcj13
March 15th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Cool! Post a picture or two.

dcj13
March 15th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Thumpers are nice because of the low-down, right-off-idle torque.

allanoue
March 15th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I payed more for my year old 2009 250 w/400 miles on it

dcj13
March 15th, 2014, 06:41 PM
It does sound like he got a good deal!

JohnnyBravo
March 15th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Congrats on the new ride!

old3
March 15th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Just picked up a new cbr250, red. 3650 out the door.

Love it!!

Well, there ya go! Best of luck with it! Nothing better than a new bike rolling home! Enjoy!!!

:thumbup:

Aggrotech
March 15th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Have yet to find anyone whos liked their cbr250 purchase.

iamdisappoint.

ForceofWill
March 15th, 2014, 07:35 PM

iamdisappoint.

Guess that's why they're so cheap. :bounce:

old3
March 15th, 2014, 07:50 PM
There is a big CBR250 following on advrider, and they seem to love them. Between that and the CBR250 forum there is plenty of positive reports from very satisfied riders.

Enjoy it.

Han Solo 1
March 15th, 2014, 08:35 PM

iamdisappoint.

Lol, visit the cbr250 forum and you'll find a bunch!

Seriously, for my style of riding (all commuting, not even on highway), it's perfect.

I honestly didn't expect to like it, but I really do. It's got more of a mid range nice torque that I wasn't really expecting, and got up to 60 (which is the fastest I go on my commute) smoothly and without any buzzing.

I love the Ninja styling and find the Honda looks a bit boring, but the fit and finish of the body was surprisingly great.

Throttle response is excellent, and the braking was better than on my 08 Ninja 250, although that might be because it's brand new.

I even really dig the red color.

All in all, I think I made out like a bandit, and you just can't beat a great deal like this, for a brand new bike that fits my needs perfectly and looks good. I prefer the Ninja's headlight, but that's about it.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

:bounce:

Han Solo 1
March 15th, 2014, 08:35 PM
There is a big CBR250 following on advrider, and they seem to love them. Between that and the CBR250 forum there is plenty of positive reports from very satisfied riders.

Enjoy it.

Thanks!

Yakaru
March 15th, 2014, 10:33 PM
We'll still love you, even on a Honda. Heck, my 4-wheeled-bike-hauler is a Honda :P

Congrats! Now update your profile's motorcycle list :D

dcj13
March 15th, 2014, 10:43 PM
And post a pic!

Han Solo 1
March 16th, 2014, 06:07 AM
We'll still love you, even on a Honda. Heck, my 4-wheeled-bike-hauler is a Honda :P

Congrats! Now update your profile's motorcycle list :D

And post a pic!

Thanks guys! I will post a pic later today for sure.

jkv45
March 16th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Lol, visit the cbr250 forum and you'll find a bunch!

Seriously, for my style of riding (all commuting, not even on highway), it's perfect.

I honestly didn't expect to like it, but I really do. It's got more of a mid range nice torque that I wasn't really expecting, and got up to 60 (which is the fastest I go on my commute) smoothly and without any buzzing.

I love the Ninja styling and find the Honda looks a bit boring, but the fit and finish of the body was surprisingly great.

Throttle response is excellent, and the braking was better than on my 08 Ninja 250, although that might be because it's brand new.

I even really dig the red color.

All in all, I think I made out like a bandit, and you just can't beat a great deal like this, for a brand new bike that fits my needs perfectly and looks good. I prefer the Ninja's headlight, but that's about it.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

:bounce:
Congrats!

The little Honda isn't for everyone, but from what you described, it should work well for you. It's strengths are stronger low-end and mid-range at the expense of less high-end and overall power. So if you are stopping and starting, and not running high speeds, it should work great. Mileage numbers are usually better than the Ninja also (as would be expected).

There is a guy on www.cbr250.net that has ridden one from Florida to the Arctic Circle - so highway cruising and sport touring aren't out of the question either.

allanoue
March 16th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Does this thread belong in the The Ex-Ninjetters Lair (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37) with the rest of the traders? :devil: JK

subxero
March 17th, 2014, 08:22 AM
after all of this and you ended up with a cbr250?

I guess as long as you are happy with it, who cares what others think :thumbup:

ninjamunky85
March 17th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I thought at least he was getting the CBR 300, but I guess it's not out yet.

Han Solo 1
March 17th, 2014, 08:39 AM
after all of this and you ended up with a cbr250?

I guess as long as you are happy with it, who cares what others think :thumbup:

lol

Yep. Just rode it to work this morning.

I'm in the breaking-in phase, so not opening it up as much as I'd like, but it's a ton of fun!

It's actually a very similar feel and weight to the Ninja 250, except that it's got more of a pick-up-and-go feel in the lower and mid-range. And given that 99% of my ride is commuting, that's great.

Yes, I might shake my head wistfully at what might have been if I ever go canyon carving this summer, but I've gone exactly one time in the last 6 years, so I don't think it will be a frequent regret.

I really prefer the look of the Ninja 300, but I prefer even more having a nice-looking bike that's brand new, fun to ride, and an extra grand in cash lying around!

Han Solo 1
March 17th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Don't worry guys, knowing myself, I will be on the merry-go-round again next year.

Xtina
March 18th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I liked my cbr 250 when I had it. peppy little bike.

Han Solo 1
March 18th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I liked my cbr 250 when I had it. peppy little bike.

Yep. I can actually flick it a little better than the Ninja. Maybe it's the lighter weight or slightly shorter wheelbase. Who knows.