View Full Version : Rear caliper wont fit on disk with new brake pads

Twisthem488
March 13th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I've just changed my front brake pads (not as hard as I thought it would be thank god) and was in the process of changing my rear ones as well. Only, after I get everything installed and compress the pistons I cant fit the caliper back on the disk. Looking at it, I can see why. There is a small nub on the mounting bracket, and with the thickness of the new brake pad there is not enough clearance for the disk. I've made sure the pads are separated as much as possible, but I don't see how these will fit on without either thinner pads, or moving the mounting bracket back

http://i.imgur.com/VxDQ9Co.jpg?2

I had wanted to finish tonight, so I'll go ahead and change my oil, and hope someone has a magic solution by the time I'm done. Otherwise I'll just put the old pads back in for a bit.

ForceofWill
March 13th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Have you tried to pry one end of the caliper open with a screw driver and just stick a corner on the rotor and then work the rest on there?

Twisthem488
March 13th, 2014, 07:07 PM
The caliper is open as much as possible. Both pistons are completely compressed and flush with the inner wall of the caliper. The problem lies between the outer pad, and the nub on the mounting bracket.

alex.s
March 13th, 2014, 07:11 PM
The caliper is open as much as possible. Both pistons are completely compressed and flush with the inner wall of the caliper. The problem lies between the outer pad, and the nub on the mounting bracket.

that mounting bracket actually slides. the caliper is a "full floating" caliper. push it in. if you can't push it, it is siezed maybe?

mgentz
March 13th, 2014, 07:11 PM
you know you can push that bracket "in" right? it is on sliding pins that should be lubed and polished to slide smoothly.

ForceofWill
March 13th, 2014, 07:15 PM
^^ what they said. Push with both thumbs on it.

mgentz
March 13th, 2014, 07:18 PM
that mounting bracket actually slides. the caliper is a "full floating" caliper. push it in. if you can't push it, it is siezed maybe?

jinx

Twisthem488
March 13th, 2014, 07:27 PM
You all rock. I was able to push it in once I really tried. I just assumed it was mounted solidly. I'll be learning quite a bit as I go through and try to figure out all my own maintenance. Thanks.

alex.s
March 14th, 2014, 12:39 AM
jinx

WITCH!!!