View Full Version : please help!!! wont shift.

Josh_kcco
March 19th, 2014, 09:48 AM
so 2 days ago the bike was running fine shifting normal. monday night i remove the both rear sets for paint. i put everything back on last night.
this morning i started the bike fine.
the neutral light is on but it wont shift down only shifts up one and wont shift anymore then that. so i stumped. i removed the shift peg and readjusted it still no go.
any one have any clues?

alex.s
March 19th, 2014, 09:48 AM
you put the shifting stuff back on wrong

Josh_kcco
March 19th, 2014, 09:50 AM
so the neutral is on, the bike rolls. started it ,went to take off and instead of it shifting down 1 for first it will only shift up and thats it. when it says it in neutral it wont shift down anymore. like what it is suppose to be first gear is now neutral and what is neutral is now first gear. trying to explain best a possible.

alex.s
March 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM
you put the knuckle on upside down

Josh_kcco
March 19th, 2014, 10:13 AM
so now it shifting backwards... 1 up in first and the rest are pushing down? how does the knuckle go?

jkv45
March 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM
so 2 days ago the bike was running fine shifting normal. monday night i remove the both rear sets for paint. i put everything back on last night.
this morning i started the bike fine.
the neutral light is on but it wont shift down only shifts up one and wont shift anymore then that. so i stumped. i removed the shift peg and readjusted it still no go.
any one have any clues?
There's the problem right there - you should have had it powder coated instead of painted!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Compare what you have to a photo of the original position and you should see the problem. Also make sure it's in neutral when you set the linkage to the proper position.

Check out this section - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_adjust_the_shifter%3F

csmith12
March 19th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Gratz Josh!

rojoracing53
March 19th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Gratz Josh!

:pound:

alex.s
March 19th, 2014, 10:35 AM
so now it shifting backwards... 1 up in first and the rest are pushing down? how does the knuckle go?

like i said, upside down. remove the bolt from the knuckle. remove the knuckle. flip the knuckle up side down by rotating it on the linkage bolt. replace onto splined engine input shaft

alex.s
March 19th, 2014, 10:37 AM
if you have not removed the sprocket cover, than it is not the knuckle that is upside down. you have assembled your rear shifter peg backwards. remove the shifter arm, flip it upside down, move the peg to the other side, reinstall.

alex.s
March 19th, 2014, 10:37 AM
or just leave it in gp. gp is better anyway

Josh_kcco
March 19th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Gratz Josh!

haha sadly I like this lol

Josh_kcco
March 19th, 2014, 11:13 AM
like i said, upside down. remove the bolt from the knuckle. remove the knuckle. flip the knuckle up side down by rotating it on the linkage bolt. replace onto splined engine input shaft

this was it, and thank you! I was just in a huge rush and freaking out cause this was my transportation to work lol but made it to work on time lol.

the rod that goes from the shifter to the knuckle needs to be on the bottom not the top. as to were I had it it was on top.

Josh_kcco
March 19th, 2014, 11:14 AM
or just leave it in gp. gp is better anyway

maybe if I was a super sport racer. I would lol

Josh_kcco
March 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM
if you have not removed the sprocket cover, than it is not the knuckle that is upside down. you have assembled your rear shifter peg backwards. remove the shifter arm, flip it upside down, move the peg to the other side, reinstall.

I didn't remove the sprocket cover.

Josh_kcco
March 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM
There's the problem right there - you should have had it powder coated instead of painted!

no one in my town does powder coating :mad:

Josh_kcco
March 19th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone!!!
=]

csmith12
March 19th, 2014, 11:22 AM
:werd: In for the funnies. :)

alex.s
March 19th, 2014, 11:31 AM
for reference, the knuckle should be pointing down

mgentz
March 22nd, 2014, 11:55 AM
I am surprised that it didn't bind. I just cut up my stock cover to make it work.