View Full Version : Anything I should look for?

WhoDatPopcorn
March 20th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Hey guys,

I'm going to look at a Ninja 250 today for my girlfriend. As far as I know, these things are pretty bulletproof. I know what to look for when buying a used bike, but do these bikes have any issues specific to this generation? (2008-2012)

Thanks.

jkv45
March 20th, 2014, 10:33 AM
No real trouble spots as long as the basic maintenance has been done. Ask if they do their own maintenance or where and when it was survived last. Know what the service timetable is for the specific bike (valve adj, etc).

Look at the condition and level of the oil. Fluid in the brake reservoir should be clear or very light. Look at the condition and adjustment of the chain. The chain is always a good indication of how well the maintenance has been done in the long-term. Check the tires, but plan to replace them if they are 4 years old or older, no matter how much tread is left.

Start it up and listen to it for odd noises, and check that it's not warm when you get there. That can indicate some potential problems that the owner may be trying to cover up (bad battery, poor cold starting, knocking on cold start, etc).

There are plenty of other things to look at, but that's a start.

WhoDatPopcorn
March 20th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Okay, so I'll just look for the typical stuff then. If we end up picking it up, then I will be a part of this forum :D. I'll update this thread later today.

csmith12
March 20th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Welcome Ricky! Hope the buy purchase goes well.

Sirref
March 20th, 2014, 11:02 AM
One thing I like to check is the chain & sprockets, it takes a certain degree of due diligence to keep your chain & sprockets clean and well lubed. I would greatly prefer to buy a bike from someone who put in the effort to maintain the bike to the best of their ability as opposed to someone who neglects it.

dcj13
March 20th, 2014, 12:29 PM
One thing I like to check is the chain & sprockets, it takes a certain degree of due diligence to keep your chain & sprockets clean and well lubed. I would greatly prefer to buy a bike from someone who put in the effort to maintain the bike to the best of their ability as opposed to someone who neglects it.

Agreed.

I prefer to buy a bike that either: a) the rider rode it every day (a lot, anyway) and took good care of it; or b) didn't ride it much at all (like a recent thread discussed) and let the bike sit for years and become covered in dust.

Have bought one of "a" (Ninjette), and two of "b" (KLR250 and K75).

ForceofWill
March 20th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Aside from normal maintenance type stuff look out for signs of a fall. Stickers are a big sign on this, probably scratches/cracks underneath.

CC Cowboy
March 20th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Make sure your girl can ride the bike naked. Send pictures of the test ride and we'll tell you if the bike is OK.

WhoDatPopcorn
March 20th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Make sure your girl can ride the bike naked. Send pictures of the test ride and we'll tell you if the bike is OK.

Haha if I can convince her to do it, then no problem :p

Thanks for the info guys! We ended up buying it :). It's 2010 with 6k miles, in excellent shape. Here are some pics!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/Reaper263/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0747_zpsmcjlsjv1.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/Reaper263/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0748_zpspwtqmf9k.jpg

And here is my beast (still a kawi and ninja so its allowed right? :p)

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/Reaper263/IMAG0639_zpsuckjsgp4.jpg

I look forward to lurking around here and being a part of this community! Everyone seems pretty cool :)

csmith12
March 20th, 2014, 04:25 PM
It's red! Welcome to team red! According to your 2nd pic, you have very long legs and torso. hahahahahaha Good thing you didn't have to ride it home.

Your beast is welcome too, even though it's blue. :p

DEFY
March 20th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Welcome!!! Nice bikes :thumbup:

WhoDatPopcorn
March 20th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Haha I'm 6ft on a good day. I actually rode the 250 to the lot she was practicing in. Its soooooo light and nimble. I have fell in love with it!! I'm definitely gonna be riding around more often :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome

stubshaft
March 20th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Red Bikes Rule :dancecool:

fast1075
March 20th, 2014, 06:08 PM
It is well known that red bikes are faster due to the Doppler shift, and the principles of quantum mechanics. However The Dilithium crystals in Plasma Blue create a space time fold that can get the bike to the finish line before the red bike, even though the red bike is actually faster. Unless of course the person on the blue bike is a squid with no skills.

My bikes are not painted, they are clad in M-Ray absorbing aluminum foil, as is my helmet. Don't ask why. If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya. :rotflmao:

WhoDatPopcorn
March 20th, 2014, 07:33 PM
hahahahaha :rotflmao:

Sirref
March 20th, 2014, 07:56 PM
<3 that 636, I want one so badly. I could actually get one right now but it would put me in financial ruin for a few months :( it's green too (the color I want) :(

WhoDatPopcorn
March 20th, 2014, 07:59 PM
<3 that 636, I want one so badly. I could actually get one right now but it would put me in financial ruin for a few months :( it's green too (the color I want) :(

Been there done that lol. Green was my first choice too :dancecool:

Sirref
March 20th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I may get a 600 sometime next year (during my 3rd riding season) as a weekend bike with my 300 remaining my main bike for commuting/touring and my 250 staying as my track bike. There would be no reason to have the 600 other than "I want it and can get it"

WhoDatPopcorn
March 21st, 2014, 11:22 AM
Do it man. I agree on it being a weekend bike. The 636 is really comfortable considering its a supersport. Nothing compared to the 250/300 though. If I could afford a second bike, I'd probably get a 300 to ride around town.