View Full Version : won't go above 58 to 60 mph

904jeff
March 21st, 2014, 04:39 PM
I have a 2010 250 that has 9972 miles on it I just got it and it was bogging down so I sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake and its running better no more flat spot in the rpms but I still can't get above 60 mph anyone know what I should do because I'm about to take it to the shop on Friday but don't want to

Whiskey
March 21st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Are you firing on both cyls? does it sound like it's running rough? & do both headers feel hot a few seconds after you fire up?

Alex
March 21st, 2014, 04:50 PM
Clogged air filter, clogged fuel filter, pinched fuel line, wildly out of spec valves, maybe a few more possibilities. If it's hitting 60 mph, it's unlikely to be running on only one cylinder, so it's less likely to be some electrical issue or plug issue.

904jeff
March 21st, 2014, 04:53 PM
Both are firing I tested both of them and have spark recapped the plugs cleaned the intake and readjusted the throttle I was thinking carb issue but tore the bike down to get the carbs out but wasn't able to do so because of the air box. It was running rough but after cleaning put the intake I got response back rides smooth but just won't go and it acts like a wind up toy at times and right one I'm hearing a whine come from the bike it is off

DaBlue1
March 21st, 2014, 05:34 PM
I've seen this before....

Check your snorkel to see if anything that you may have had under the passenger seat may have escaped it's holding place a lodged itself inside or is partially block the airbox.

Other funny but relevant stories-

8000rpm and will not rev further (http://www.newninja.com/forums/f97/8000rpm-and-will-not-rev-further-6777.html)

High RPM sputtering/bogging problem (http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/242986-high-rpm-sputtering-bogging-problem.html)

DC2-12
March 21st, 2014, 05:51 PM
when Is the last time the carb has had a good cleaning?

stubshaft
March 21st, 2014, 09:08 PM
If the revs are high and the speed is low than the clutch may be slipping.

quarterliter
March 22nd, 2014, 06:08 AM
You need to describe the problem better if you want better answers.

Motofool
March 22nd, 2014, 06:19 AM
.................I'm hearing a whine come from the bike it is off

Welcome to the forum, Jeff !!!

That sound could be the fan behind the radiator or the cap of the fuel tank.

If the first, keep an eye on the thermometer gauge and check that the needle is not reaching the red zone.
If so, take immediate action to correct it, as the engine can get damaged due to overheating.

If the second, the cap may not be venting correctly and if so, fuel cannot flow down into the carbs properly.

rc racer
March 22nd, 2014, 08:48 AM
Also, very simple to check. Make sure both battery terminals are tight using a 10mm socket, not a Phillips screwdriver.

Mine acted the same way when I got it, Wasted many hours cleaning carbs with no improvement. Then realized the battery cables where of questionable tightness. Snugged them up and it ran like a champ.

CC Cowboy
March 22nd, 2014, 09:20 AM
What's the speed limit there? It might not be legal to go over 60 MPH and the bikes knows it.