View Full Version : Scorpion Full Exhaust System?

7samurai
March 21st, 2014, 06:58 PM
Okay, so i haven't found to much info on these in my resent searches. I would like to purchase a full system although there are a few things i'm not too sure about.

1. They say this system does not need re-mapping because it is model specific. Does this mean getting this exhaust you don't need a power commander or anything that corresponds to that? Not sure how you get much performance gains if this is the case.

2. They also say this never needs packing? I read somewhere its because they use steel wool and ceramic.

Does anyone have this system or have any thoughts on this exhaust. Thanks in advance.

antiant
March 21st, 2014, 07:36 PM
tfkrocks had it/has it.

tfkrocks
March 21st, 2014, 09:57 PM
I had a slip-on, not a full system so I can't help there. Yes supposedly it doesn't need repacking, but I didn't have mine long enough to prove that. It ripped open when I destroyed it, but I don't remember what the insides looked like.

7samurai
March 22nd, 2014, 07:29 AM
I had a slip-on, not a full system so I can't help there. Yes supposedly it doesn't need repacking, but I didn't have mine long enough to prove that. It ripped open when I destroyed it, but I don't remember what the insides looked like.

Did you ever try to go though their crash warranty for 50% off a new one? They say their popular in the UK iI just haven't found any info on them. I'm also surprised that they make a full system for the 300 and only slipons for something like the gixxer 600.

JohnnyBravo
March 22nd, 2014, 08:09 AM
Anybody with performance mods that effect the engine and FI should have a tuner, same as tuning carbs

tfkrocks
March 22nd, 2014, 08:41 AM
Did you ever try to go though their crash warranty for 50% off a new one? They say their popular in the UK iI just haven't found any info on them. I'm also surprised that they make a full system for the 300 and only slipons for something like the gixxer 600.

Their stuff is all way on the expensive side so I didn't really want to get another. Looked great and I liked the sound, but just too pricey.

7samurai
March 22nd, 2014, 11:02 AM
Their stuff is all way on the expensive side so I didn't really want to get another. Looked great and I liked the sound, but just too pricey.

Yeah, I hear that right now I am going to be tracking my Ninja 250 and bought a Ninja 300. I want to buy a full exhaust for just for street rides and commuting, no intentions of hitting track ever. To me Scorpion looks the nicest and I wouldn't mind spending the extra money. I just don't want to walk right into a nightmare exhaust.

7samurai
March 22nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Anybody with performance mods that effect the engine and FI should have a tuner, same as tuning carbs

Thats what I thought, but according to my readings on the scorpion site there is a possibility that i buy a power commander and the mapping stays the same as stock due to the fact they make the exhaust bike specific.

tfkrocks
March 22nd, 2014, 11:28 AM
Thats what I thought, but according to my readings on the scorpion site there is a possibility that i buy a power commander and the mapping stays the same as stock due to the fact they make the exhaust bike specific.

That doesn't make any sense to me as a stock bike still benefits from the use of a tuner.

choneofakind
March 22nd, 2014, 12:03 PM
DrxCitVYdcU

The system used in this comparo that was 'tuned for the stock map' did poorly. If it doesn't need a change in fueling, it's not making anything besides noise. That's my philosophy.

That's all.

JohnnyBravo
March 22nd, 2014, 02:29 PM
:whathesaid:
I wouldn't spend a penny on a aftermarket system that's performs same as stock. What's the cost of it? I'm sure you pay about the same and would be happier with a different brand that gives more performance! If that's the one you want, an what ya want buy it right along and write up a review for us.

dooby
March 22nd, 2014, 03:54 PM
Hi,

I have the full Scorpion system on my 2011 250R (UK based, so FI). In my opinion it does flow a lot more air than the stock system - the header pipes are clearly bigger, the cat is deleted and there is less obstruction in the silencer/baffle area.

I have been running it without a remap but I suspect I have been running lean as a result. I suspect that with a Power Commander to richen up the mix there could be some nice gains in mid and top-range given the extra air I believe it's flowing.

Not sure whether that answered your questions :-)

HTH, Pete

7samurai
March 22nd, 2014, 04:10 PM
DrxCitVYdcU

The system used in this comparo that was 'tuned for the stock map' did poorly. If it doesn't need a change in fueling, it's not making anything besides noise. That's my philosophy.

In my understanding the mapping is just so the fuel and air intake ratio helps the exhaust perform better. In most cases your changing the map to fit the exhaust system, in this case it looks like the exhaust company made their exhaust to fit the fuel air ratio that the bike is already mapped for, does that necessarily mean no performance gains?

Hi,

I have the full Scorpion system on my 2011 250R (UK based, so FI). In my opinion it does flow a lot more air than the stock system - the header pipes are clearly bigger, the cat is deleted and there is less obstruction in the silencer/baffle area.

I have been running it without a remap but I suspect I have been running lean as a result. I suspect that with a Power Commander to richen up the mix there could be some nice gains in mid and top-range given the extra air I believe it's flowing.

Not sure whether that answered your questions :-)

HTH, Pete

THANK YOU your the first I've heard of with a full exhaust, It kinda sucks to hear that it runs lean when they say you don't need to map. But that is what everyone here, myself included suspected. just tried to give them he benefit of the doubt. They look sick, but maybe not for me. As to the question how much they run its $900 for carbon fiber full. Im pretty sure all other established brands are $600 or less for full exhaust (yosh, two bros, leo, etc.)

tfkrocks
March 22nd, 2014, 04:50 PM
Get an Area P full exhaust :thumbup:

Jiggles
March 22nd, 2014, 07:03 PM
Get an Area P full exhaust :thumbup:

+1.5

choneofakind
March 22nd, 2014, 08:03 PM
Think about this.

Fuel is a means of storing and distributing energy. A gasoline engine takes that fuel, and burns it to release the energy. Therefore, more fuel = more energy. Energy over time is power.

Now to burn fuel, we must mix in a desire able ratio of air. Air in and out of the engine is the limit to how much fuel we can burn, therefore as long as we keep the mixture consistent, more air = more energy released per explosion. Take this over time, and we get more power than with less air.

Your exhaust contributes to how much air runs through your engine. So. If we can increase the flow rate of air by using a more free flowing exhaust, we now require a higher rate of fuel per time, and have the ability to make more power.

Therefore, if we have an exhaust that changes the airflow, it will be able to make more power and will require the map changed to keep the ratios correct.

7samurai
March 22nd, 2014, 08:22 PM
Works for me. And whats the craze on this area p? Ive never heard of them beyond this forum so far. To me they are the ugliest things around. Is here something else I'm missing? I understand that they have great customer service but id expect something more attractive to be a forum fav.

tfkrocks
March 22nd, 2014, 08:43 PM
Yeah it's not the greatest in terms of looks but as a company, they really care about producing the highest performing product and their systems are reasonably priced in my opinion.

Jiggles
March 22nd, 2014, 08:54 PM
I think cylindrical cans are sexy

tfkrocks
March 22nd, 2014, 10:55 PM
I like akrapovic's exhaust can design but alas, no full system for the 300.

7samurai
March 23rd, 2014, 06:12 AM
Agreed. So at this point I am convinced to give Area P a go. It seems to be a forum favorite for a reason. I don't see much selection on their site but i will contact them to get an idea of what tips and can combinations they already have. It looks like 12" to 18" is the can size and I've only seen 3 tips through searching other threads already. Also liking the fact they do custom :D

ForceofWill
March 23rd, 2014, 07:47 AM
Agreed. So at this point I am convinced to give Area P a go. It seems to be a forum favorite for a reason. I don't see much selection on their site but i will contact them to get an idea of what tips and can combinations they already have. It looks like 12" to 18" is the can size and I've only seen 3 tips through searching other threads already. Also liking the fact they do custom :D

It seems like you're really stuck on looks. You probably won't be satisfied with an exhaust designed to produce power. Area P is a big name in performance for Kawasaki not just for the 250.

Had a guy with a ZX-14 surprised I had an Area P, said they made the best for his bike as well

Jiggles
March 23rd, 2014, 08:52 AM
Also the 18" area p produces more power than the 12". Food for thought. The race version produces even more if you don't mine giving up your passenger pegs

ForceofWill
March 23rd, 2014, 09:39 AM
Also the 18" area p produces more power than the 12". Food for thought. The race version produces even more if you don't mine giving up your passenger pegs

WTF are passenger pegs? :bounce:

Race all the way.

7samurai
March 23rd, 2014, 01:54 PM
It seems like you're really stuck on looks. You probably won't be satisfied with an exhaust designed to produce power. Area P is a big name in performance for Kawasaki not just for the 250.

Had a guy with a ZX-14 surprised I had an Area P, said they made the best for his bike as well

With the bump from 250 to 300 i'm pretty satisfied with the power, i know any full system with some mapping calls for hp gains. This bike right now is solely for commutes and i have no intentions of taking it to the track. I have a 250 set aside for that. So as far as looks yes that is a concern and the only reason I chose to go full was because theres no major price difference from slipons. But thank you for the info that it is greatly noted and I will most likely be putting an 18" full race system on my 250 (as stated by Jiggles)when the time comes because it is a designated track bike and that is where I care about every performance gain.

JohnnyBravo
March 23rd, 2014, 02:28 PM
Area P is really on top of research an development with these bikes!

7samurai
March 23rd, 2014, 02:52 PM
So im sure if i was interested in something like a megaphone their R&D team could muster something up with very similar and competitive performance upgrades as their tried and true exhausts. Im sure they wont sell me garbage. I don't see why my taste of an exhaust system has anything to do with me not handling power. Were all in the same boat hence it being an exclusive 250 and 300 forum.

Jiggles
March 23rd, 2014, 02:57 PM
With the bump from 250 to 300 i'm pretty satisfied with the power, i know any full system with some mapping calls for hp gains. This bike right now is solely for commutes and i have no intentions of taking it to the track. I have a 250 set aside for that. So as far as looks yes that is a concern and the only reason I chose to go full was because theres no major price difference from slipons. But thank you for the info that it is greatly noted and I will most likely be putting an 18" full race system on my 250 (as stated by Jiggles)when the time comes because it is a designated track bike and that is where I care about every performance gain.

Why not 300 for the track and 250 for the streets??

IMO, the 300 is a better track bike, less hard parts to drag and it's EFI so if you don't run it for a while it's not a big deal.

7samurai
March 23rd, 2014, 03:10 PM
Why not 300 for the track and 250 for the streets??

IMO, the 300 is a better track bike, less hard parts to drag and it's EFI so if you don't run it for a while it's not a big deal.

At one time I only had my 250 and wasn't planning on having 2 bikes. My interest in track only started last season. so after I bought a few things track related for that 250, I ended up buying a 300 so thats how it is. Plus no one runs 300 where i will go but i hear there are a few 250's,as a total track newbie i'd rather ride something others can give me first hand advice on because they're on the same than come with a fresh, out of the lot bike and crash. Plus ill have some friendly competition later down the line.