View Full Version : rear turn signals

bannr35
March 23rd, 2014, 08:58 AM
hello everyone

im a female just started riding kawasaki ninja 250r . i want to be able to learn atleast to do little maintenance on my bike. i tried changing rear turn signals i ordered them online not knowing about LED so i did change them and they would not blink after changing so then i found out about relay so i changed relay and they blink now but blink like hazards so found out online about diode kit so i ordered and installed diode fit ok now with changed electric relay and diode kit one light right light blinks normal but when turn left blink on it blinks both lights like hazards and also the green indicator light on dash does not work at all. please please help. :eek::eek::mad::(;):grouphug:

dcj13
March 23rd, 2014, 09:07 AM
Welcome!

In 5 minutes, you'll get all kinds of advice. Something about adding a diode in the circuit.

bannr35
March 23rd, 2014, 09:13 AM
i already did diode kit

dcj13
March 23rd, 2014, 09:15 AM
Are the diodes (added into the circuit and LEDs in turn signals) all wired up so the current flows in the correct direction?

(I'll step aside, as I run old-fashioned filament bulbs in all my vehicles, but look forward to the ensuing discussion and advice).

bannr35
March 23rd, 2014, 09:20 AM
i connected diode kit same as video showed on this site removed i think the green wire place in the diode kit wire then connected all wires basically

bannr35
March 23rd, 2014, 09:24 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=328217&postcount=1

bannr35
March 23rd, 2014, 09:31 AM

NevadaWolf
March 23rd, 2014, 10:37 AM
That's CThunder-blue's video so I'm presuming you bought thr diode off modmy250.com?

Are the front lights also LEDs?

Which relay did you buy (brand and number)?

I can't help much on the specific problem but maybe knowing some more details can help those who are cleverer than me.

FrugalNinja250
March 23rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
I am unable to view the video, but can say that cutting wires and making new connections in the wiring under the cluster is required for the diode modification to work. Was this kind of work shown in the video?

CThunder-blue
March 23rd, 2014, 12:46 PM
I am unable to view the video, but can say that cutting wires and making new connections in the wiring under the cluster is required for the diode modification to work. Was this kind of work shown in the video?

No. My kit does not require cutting any wires. I check all my diode kits before shipping. What kind of relay did you buy?

FrugalNinja250
March 23rd, 2014, 02:08 PM
I use a solid-state fixed-rate relay, or flasher module, that I got from CycleGear. However, that has nothing to do with your problem.

The Ninja turn signal circuit is really simple. Power goes to the flasher relay, from there it goes to the switch. From the switch it goes to whichever side is selected, left or right. From there, power goes to ground and back to the negative side of the battery. What cases flash rate problems is the flasher relay, or module. LEDs draw far less current than incandescent filament-style bulbs, and the way the module is designed the rate of flash is dependent on the power drawn by the bulbs.

Problems with four-way flashing are caused by the way Kawasaki wired the cluster flash indicator bulb. That bulb is simply connected from the right side circuit to the left side circuit. Whenever one side is flashing, power from that side travels to the cluster bulb, and from there to the off side where it goes through the off-side bulb filaments and to ground. Since the cluster bulb draws almost no power, not enough current can flow through it to light the off-side filaments even though that power is going through the filament. Think of the cluster bulb acting like a voltage restriction.

In order for any diode kit to work, it must do one thing at a minimum: It must isolate the left and right side circuits. That involves cutting wires, because you must take on of the cluster bulb wires and connect it to ground, and you must take the left and right circuit wires and connect them to the other side of the cluster bulb. The new circuit would have each side, whichever side was active, sending power through a diode to one side of the cluster bulb, and the power would leave the bulb on the other side and go to ground.

It's a really simple modification to do.

AFAIK, there is no "plug-in" solution to deal with the cluster bulb/four-way flash problem.

Alex
March 23rd, 2014, 02:17 PM
/moved to new-gen tech

CThunder-blue
March 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
AFAIK, there is no "plug-in" solution to deal with the cluster bulb/four-way flash problem.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. I've been selling a no-cut diode kit for 2 years for the 08-12 ninja 250R.

kennetht
March 23rd, 2014, 03:04 PM
Sorry, but I beg to differ. I've been selling a no-cut diode kit for 2 years for the 08-12 ninja 250R.

Agreed. I purchased my diode kit from him, and I did not have to cut any wires at all whatsoever.

Best, and easiest install.

FrugalNinja250
March 23rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
Sorry, but I beg to differ. I've been selling a no-cut diode kit for 2 years for the 08-12 ninja 250R.\

Post a schematic of what you did, I'm always interested in new ideas.

CThunder-blue
March 23rd, 2014, 06:11 PM
\

Post a schematic of what you did, I'm always interested in new ideas.

watching the video will give you an idea of what I did.

CThunder-blue
March 23rd, 2014, 06:30 PM
i connected diode kit same as video showed on this site removed i think the green wire place in the diode kit wire then connected all wires basically

So, did you installed the blue wire in the connector that the green wire came out of? Can you pm me your paypal address so I can see who you are? I can send you another kit to test in case one of the diodes is not working right.

FrugalNinja250
March 23rd, 2014, 07:03 PM
watching the video will give you an idea of what I did.

I can't watch videos due to technical limitations at my end. Do you have a schematic you can post?

ForceofWill
March 23rd, 2014, 07:09 PM
I can't watch videos due to technical limitations at my end. Do you have a schematic you can post?

Tri did all the work to figure the solution out and produce a plug and play kit. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't post a schematic.

bannr35
March 23rd, 2014, 07:35 PM
EP 34. ELECTRIC RELAY front lights not led

bannr35
March 23rd, 2014, 07:42 PM
2008-2012*Kawasaki Ninja 250R*EX250 No-CutDiode Kit*: Amazon*

bannr35
March 23rd, 2014, 07:45 PM
i follow steps to a T . will send you my pay pal name

ForceofWill
March 23rd, 2014, 07:50 PM
If you bought the custom led kit you should contact them.

CThunder-blue
March 23rd, 2014, 09:16 PM
Oh, you bought from CustomLED, not me. Although they sell the same kit, it might have been a faulty kit. I would suspect one of the diodes is either not working, or facing the wrong direction.

CThunder-blue
March 23rd, 2014, 09:25 PM

The link above isn't a video as the OP suggested. It's a link to my DIY page on this forum. Basically, what I did was trace back the two leads coming off the bulb connector. One lead ends up in a 9 pin harness and the other is in a 3 pin harness. The 3 pin harness has only 2 used connections. As my instructions go, you take out the 1 lead in the 9 pin harness and insert it into the 3 pin harness on the bike. My kit, which includes diodes, then connects between the leads and harnesses. It also includes a ground wire. Hope that clears it up. If you read that link above, it has pics and you'll probably get a better idea.

bannr35
March 24th, 2014, 09:27 AM
problem not completely solve yet but i email where i got diode kit they gave me number to call he said he never sold a defective kit before so he help me trouble shoot took off the 3 pin connector blinkers work fine except green indicator on dash. so he said something maybe backwards like you said so he is going to mail me another kit. so will see if that works. Thanks will post again after install new kit..

FrugalNinja250
March 24th, 2014, 10:59 AM
The link above isn't a video as the OP suggested. It's a link to my DIY page on this forum. Basically, what I did was trace back the two leads coming off the bulb connector. One lead ends up in a 9 pin harness and the other is in a 3 pin harness. The 3 pin harness has only 2 used connections. As my instructions go, you take out the 1 lead in the 9 pin harness and insert it into the 3 pin harness on the bike. My kit, which includes diodes, then connects between the leads and harnesses. It also includes a ground wire. Hope that clears it up. If you read that link above, it has pics and you'll probably get a better idea.

Ah, so it does isolate the left and right sides, but does it at connectors elsewhere in the harness. Nice and elegant, that's a good way to do it.

Thanks for the information! I'm not planning on doing mine that way as I'm a DIYer who loves hacking into harnesses and modifying things for fun. Mine I'll do up in the cluster wiring.

linkinpark9812
March 24th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Ah, so it does isolate the left and right sides, but does it at connectors elsewhere in the harness. Nice and elegant, that's a good way to do it.

Thanks for the information! I'm not planning on doing mine that way as I'm a DIYer who loves hacking into harnesses and modifying things for fun. Mine I'll do up in the cluster wiring.

It actually is done up at the cluster wiring. Its right where the cluster plugs into the main harness of the system. Actually quite clean looking too since it uses stock connectors in between.

CThunder-blue
March 24th, 2014, 07:52 PM
It actually is done up at the cluster wiring. Its right where the cluster plugs into the main harness of the system. Actually quite clean looking too since it uses stock connectors in between.

I think he meant where the harness plugs into the gauge cluster.