View Full Version : Fuel/Oil leak, only when raining?

tmf1423
March 25th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Hi all,

Bit of a n00b so bear with me.

About 2 weeks ago I changed the oil and air filter, and a few days ago I lubed the chain and washed the bike. I've recently noticed as of two days ago that when it rains, my bike seems to leak plenty of something. It leaves a massive pool of rainbow coloured liquid on the wet floor. I'm unsure whether it is fuel or oil. I can see it slowly dripping when I'm at traffic lights, it seems to be coming from the bottom of the fairing, closest to the front wheel, if that makes sense. Where the weird lock-screw thing is.
Any tips of where to look at first, or ideas on what it could be? Sorry for my rubbish way of explaining things.

I have a fuel injected version if that makes any sort of difference.

Thanks!

csmith12
March 25th, 2014, 08:01 AM
When you changed your oil, did you do it with the fairings on and while sitting on the sidestand? If so, maybe you got some on the inside of the bottom of the fairing (common thing). Maybe the rain water is washing it off? Have a peak and wipe off any that remains if any.

Next time it's all dry and parked, throw a newspaper down under it to catch any leaks. That will concentrate the spill/leak for identification. Sight, color, smell... and so on.

tmf1423
March 25th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Took the fairings off, and the bike was upright on the rear paddock. I'll try the newspaper idea though tonight, good idea!

DaBlue1
March 25th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I'd look at a few places, namely the sprocket cover (excess chain lube may run down and out onto the fairing), the oil pressure sensor at the (left front) of the engine and the either one of the caps on the stator cover.(something you can't very well with the fairings on)