View Full Version : Bike feels a little "rough".

Sykes92
March 26th, 2014, 04:16 PM
It doesn't feel real smooth lately. And I can't tell if its in my head or if there is actually something wrong. I lubed my chain the other day thinking maybe that was the issue. I noticed today my tires were pretty underinflated, so I fixed that and it still seemed "eh". I'm about to check for chain tightness. What else may cause the bike to feel a little bumpier than usual?

dcj13
March 26th, 2014, 04:20 PM
You don't need a bigger bike, do you?

dcj13
March 26th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Just kidding... Could it be possible that the tires got flat spots from sitting all winter? Was it the first ride of the season?

ForceofWill
March 26th, 2014, 04:22 PM

LOL

You just started to notice it? What's the rear shock set at?

Sykes92
March 26th, 2014, 04:22 PM
:lol:
Just kidding... Could it possible be that the tires got flat spots from sitting all winter? Was it the first ride of the season?
No actually, I've been riding throughout the winter haha.

Sykes92
March 26th, 2014, 04:23 PM
LOL

You just started to notice it? What's the rear shock set at?

First setting I believe.

Sirref
March 26th, 2014, 04:28 PM
hmm, I'd check all the fluids. Then the rear shock, tires, and bearings. The answer should be somewhere in there. Chain was a good place to start :thumbup: underinflated tires could definitely cause an issue like that but it's not that since you reinflated the tires.

really that's all I can think of off the top of my head for easy answers. if it persists after you've checked everything you may consider dropping it off at a shop and spending $50 or so for the peace of mind knowing that a mechanic checked it out. You know they'll look for anything wrong since if they find anything they can potentially have more work to do.

Sykes92
March 26th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Haha true that Sirref.

Well I checked the chain slack, its right around in the specs. Maybe 31mm of play at most(1 off from spec). I used a sharpie so its give or take a few mm though. Ill check those and if I cant find anything wrong, Ill just take it to the local shop tomorrow and have them look at it. I have a 4 hour ride Friday so I want to be safe rather than sorry.

Sykes92
March 26th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I could also be going crazy and its all in my head. It is a 250 afterall, not a Goldwing haha.

Sirref
March 26th, 2014, 04:35 PM
it's your bike, if you feel like something is off or different it probably isn't just in your head. At the same time though it could even be something as simple as tire wear.

ForceofWill
March 26th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I kinda go right for tire pressure here. You say it's still "eh" after you inflated them but did it improve?

Skullz
March 26th, 2014, 04:46 PM
The chain might have enough tight spots causing it to vibrate and pulsate during acceleration and cruising, that was what happened to mine just before i replaced it. Well i mean it could be that some of it has stretched enough that the chain is no longer equal through out it's length.

Sykes92
March 26th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I put the bike on a rear stand and rolled the tire around to check for anything weird and to feel/listen to the chain. It seemed smooth and nothing stood out to me in tire or chain. The shock was kinda muddy and dirty, like kinda caked on it. Would that affect it? It was enough that my garden hose couldnt get all of it off, a little was still left over. I would hope the chain wouldnt be bad yet since its only got 6k miles on it. And as for did the problem improve from inflating them, yes it did. The bike felt less dragged down. They must have been underinflated for a week or so. It improved, but still feels slightly bumpier than usual.

I haven't tested it since sort of cleaning the shock, then again I dont even know if dirt/mud would really affect it.

Sykes92
March 26th, 2014, 08:30 PM
The only other thing might be tire wear like Sirref said, but they should still have a few thousand miles left on them.

JohnnyBravo
March 26th, 2014, 08:37 PM
On my "bad" riding days, it's usually in my head.... Nothing goes right, nothing feels right, everything is off. On the good days its butter baby :thumbup:
It's possible you have an issue, maybe it was just a bad day

JohnnyBravo
March 26th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Swerve around the bumps???

DaBlue1
March 27th, 2014, 09:02 AM
.... What else may cause the bike to feel a little bumpier than usual?

The road.

Given the freakish weather on the eastern seaboard in the last month, the ground is going to go through all types of changes... from frozen and snow laden one day to completely flooded and thawed the next. Once the weather conditions stabilize and the heat comes, the road surfaces will change and feel different once more.

It will be in the 60's tomorrow in VA beach. Ride safe, it may get a little wet.

Sirref
March 27th, 2014, 09:04 AM
^ good point, road conditions have been shittier than normal for me recently with potholes everywhere and such. I wouldn't be surprised if the surface needed a good rain or something to make it a bit more even overall.

DaBlue1
March 27th, 2014, 09:09 AM
.... I wouldn't be surprised if the surface needed a good rain or something to make it a bit more even overall.

It needs heat and compaction.

Sirref
March 27th, 2014, 09:12 AM
that would help with tire grip and comfort too. can we finally be done with this winter now? hahaha.

DaBlue1
March 27th, 2014, 09:17 AM
... can we finally be done with this winter now? hahaha.

For real!!

Sirref
March 27th, 2014, 09:20 AM
looking at the forecast we're clear in MD through the next week in terms of temperature, bit of rain but I'll take that over more snow and ice.

csmith12
March 27th, 2014, 09:20 AM
:)

Alex
March 27th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Tire inflation/condition, chain cleaning/lubing/adjustment, and checking if it or the sprockets are worn. Loose motor mount bolts are another potential cause of vibration.

Sykes92
March 27th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Well I'll definitely do TCLOCs in the morning before I leave and check the bolts on everything. I dont think it is my tires or chain simply because its intermittent and not constant. The wheels and chain are spinning way too fast for it to only happen every few seconds. The weather/condition of the road might be what I am feeling. I appreciate everyone helping me to try and figure this out :D! I know these things are hard to pinpoint sometimes, so I definitely appreciate it.

choneofakind
March 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Every consider that maybe your girl just LIKES it a little rough?

Lucky bastard.

Sykes92
March 27th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Every consider that maybe your girl just LIKES it a little rough?

Lucky bastard.

MAYBE SHE DOES. I'm about to ride her for 4 hours, so she better!