View Full Version : Recording sensors

Yakaru
April 2nd, 2014, 12:28 AM
So I've been playing with the GPS to overlay my route, speed, and altitude on my recent videos and really liking it. This has made me start to consider maybe picking up some more recording farkles (like this lean angle device: http://www.speedangle.com/shop ). Anyway, the big 3 I'm not sure about are to record RPMs, Throttle position, and Brakes.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these and any recommendations?

software wise I'm currently using DashWare (though my technique is a bit funky -- I make it render the widgets as full screen videos with a flat background so I can put it anywhere I want in my real video editor); here's the list of devices it supports: http://www.dashware.net/faq-items/data-logger-supported/

Sirref
April 2nd, 2014, 12:47 AM
you should get one of these
http://www.speedangle.com/
records everything, even your lean angles!

Yakaru
April 2nd, 2014, 01:10 AM
It doesn't measure throttle position, engine RPMs, or brakes though. :) I also already linked to it in my post. ;)

Sirref
April 2nd, 2014, 01:18 AM
:doh: I didn't read the links
probably a sign that I should stop studying for my test tomorrow and get to sleep.

I'll look into figuring out what software/hardware the IOM TT riders use tomorrow night since that information pops up on the screen all the time when watching them.

DCMoney
April 2nd, 2014, 07:34 AM
As cool as knowing your lean angle would be, I find my gear position throttle position, RPM, and braking points much more important. I use a XT Racing GPX pro 8 and I'm very happy with it.

I hope one day they will have a lean angle sensor but I'm not holding my breath.

Yakaru
April 2nd, 2014, 07:42 AM
As cool as knowing your lean angle would be, I find my gear position throttle position, RPM, and braking points much more important. I use a XT Racing GPX pro 8 and I'm very happy with it.

I hope one day they will have a lean angle sensor but I'm not holding my breath.

That one fits the Ninja 300? :)

And hey, as far as I can tell nothing says you can't have multiple devices -- that's my plan :D

DCMoney
April 2nd, 2014, 07:44 AM
That one fits the Ninja 300? :)

And hey, as far as I can tell nothing says you can't have multiple devices -- that's my plan :D

Its universal, and you wire into what ever sensors you want. Can put the unit where ever you like. I used it to replace my instrument cluster.

dooby
April 2nd, 2014, 09:33 AM
Hmm, the Power Commander V for the fuel injected 250R I believe can log throttle position and RPM (though possibly only with the LCD-200 optional extra).

I can't recall if the US 300 is fuel injected but if so perhaps there's a PCV available for it?

Bonus side effect of engine remapping, option of a quickshifter, launch control, pit-lane speed limiter... :-)

Cheers, Pete

Yakaru
April 2nd, 2014, 09:38 AM
Hmm, the Power Commander V for the fuel injected 250R I believe can log throttle position and RPM (though possibly only with the LCD-200 optional extra).

I can't recall if the US 300 is fuel injected but if so perhaps there's a PCV available for it?

Bonus side effect of engine remapping, option of a quickshifter, launch control, pit-lane speed limiter... :-)

Cheers, Pete

I use a Fuel Moto instead of a PC as it is the recommended controller for the Area P exhaust system :)

csmith12
April 2nd, 2014, 12:43 PM
Got an Andriod or Iphone? Download the Pirelli Superbiker app, it aint bad for free.

http://de.ridexperience.metzeler.com/files/2011/09/Bild-3.png

psych0hans
April 3rd, 2014, 11:45 PM
You could also get "Harry's lap timer" it's quiet good... You can hook it up with your go pro and it will get your overlay in real time... To get the throttle position and rpms you need the OBD2 sensor, which isn't compatible with our bikes...

Yakaru
April 3rd, 2014, 11:52 PM
plain lap timers aren't really appealing to me as the GPS data from the Contour makes it easy enough to extract to the point I care about as a super-pre-amateur. No way to get throttle/rpms? That's disappointing :(

chugs
April 4th, 2014, 12:00 AM

+2 for the gpx pro. Installation is a lot more streamline for fuel injected bikes. It requires a bit more ingenuity to install on the 250.