View Full Version : Oil filter question

Kneedragon88
April 2nd, 2014, 06:37 PM
Hello all,

I started taking the bodywork off my newly acquired 250 race bike and an open spot where it looks like a bolt would go next to the oil filter housing. Can anyone tell me what it is for? I consulted my Haynes manual and I didn't see anything. I did some searching on the forum but didn't see anything. Also, it looks like there is a small amount of oil in my bellypan. I'll have to go back tomorrow and make sure it is oil, it looked a bit thicker but we have had a terribly cold winter here in Wisconsin...:D

Thanks!

jcgss77
April 2nd, 2014, 08:50 PM
Looking at the pictures on the Ninja250wiki, it does indeed look like a hex head bolt is missing...but don't take my word for gold here. You said that the Haynes has no information about it? That is odd...if it is not in there, I would believe that there is nothing to worry about. Is there a supplemental manual for the newgen service manual?

cbinker
April 2nd, 2014, 09:32 PM
you are missing a bolt in that pic.

Kneedragon88
April 3rd, 2014, 06:36 AM
Looking at the pictures on the Ninja250wiki, it does indeed look like a hex head bolt is missing...but don't take my word for gold here. You said that the Haynes has no information about it? That is odd...if it is not in there, I would believe that there is nothing to worry about. Is there a supplemental manual for the newgen service manual?

I only checked in the oil change portion because it showed pictures of that section on the bike, however I didn't see anything mentioned about the spot where I am missing a bolt. It looks like it might be a bolt for the filter gasket according to the parts fiche I have found online but I do not see a bolt in the list that is suppose to go there...

DaBlue1
April 3rd, 2014, 06:56 AM
It's a non threaded blank space. No screws or bolts go in it. Possibly Kawasaki has/had another purpose in mind for the crankcase.

jkv45
April 3rd, 2014, 07:22 AM
It's a non threaded blank space. No screws or bolts go in it. Possibly Kawasaki has/had another purpose in mind for the crankcase.
Looks like it may have been threaded and plugged at one time, but I agree with Blue - yours doesn't look threaded.

DaBlue1
April 3rd, 2014, 07:53 AM
I'm going to take a guess here. If Kawasaki made an oil cooler for this particular bike it would look something like this oil cooler made by Kawasaki for a zx-12. The bolt patterns look the same as it does on the Ninja 250R.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m7BA0xCu9QFkQiL5FRqL_6A.jpg

Kneedragon88
April 3rd, 2014, 09:40 AM
I'm going to take a guess here. If Kawasaki made an oil cooler for this particular bike it would look something like this oil cooler made by Kawasaki for a zx-12. The bolt patterns look the same as it does on the Ninja 250R.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m7BA0xCu9QFkQiL5FRqL_6A.jpg

Yeah that looks about right, as long as it isn't anything essential I am not going to worry. I did not find a bolt sitting in the belly pan so I thnk it should be okay. Still not sure why it looks like there may have been a little leaking. But I'll know better once it warms up and I can change the oil. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know I find anything else weird. Cheers!