View Full Version : It finally happened...

Beast
April 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I'm okay, everything else is okay, but I just wanted to report that the inevitable has happened...finally dropped my bike :cool:

I was at a dead-stop on the freeway and when traffic started going again I go to put my foot back on the peg and I misjudged somehow and missed the peg completely. Thrown off balance, I couldn't react and down she went :) Thank goodness for those intuitive frame sliders. Not a scratch! :thumbup:

No one helped me pick up the bike and just watched me struggle for a good 2-3 minutes until I look around and signal that someone NEEDS to help me because I couldn't get the bike upright.

Embarrassing :)

DirtyBoy
April 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM
:eek: Glad you and the bike are ok. Sounds like you need to hit the gym though. ;)

KJohnson21
April 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Glad you're OK!

Beast
April 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Sounds like you need to hit the gym though.

Thanks, maybe I do lol. I just couldn't get that thing up. Hindsight, maybe I should have been holding the front brake because the bike kept shifting.

g21-30
April 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
pPjYweKeiLk

Beast
April 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Wow great vid Sam. I guess I will have to try that when the opportunity presents itself again. Unfortunately, figuring out a fast solution was the only thing on my mind at the time because of the environment i was in.

g21-30
April 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Chris,

It's entirely different when "you" are the person on the spot. It's like anything else, if you haven't practiced beforehand. I definitely wouldn't recommend laying down by the freeway, like the woman did in the video. Unless, of course, you're pretty far off to the side.

The Ride Like a Pro V shows the same basic technique, but the bikes are 800+ lb Harleys!

Good Luck :thumbup:

1hardryder4life
April 16th, 2009, 04:38 PM
oh man Chris this is bad news but a great thread haha. hit the gym brosef! glad the bike was alright. Wish I could say the same for mine two weeks ago.

Broom
April 16th, 2009, 04:38 PM
at least you got that out of the way without any real damage :D

RaceBikeRentals
April 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
You call that a drop? FAIL

Beast
April 16th, 2009, 04:52 PM
It's entirely different when "you" are the person on the spot. It's like anything else, if you haven't practiced beforehand. I definitely wouldn't recommend laying down by the freeway, like the woman did in the video. Unless, of course, you're pretty far off to the side.
I would have loved to call upon those video tips as an instinct, but I didn't have a skillset in that area so the next best thing was to ask for help. I don't think laying down on the freeway would have been necessary and I was smack dab in the middle of the 5 lanes :)

oh man Chris this is bad news but a great thread haha. hit the gym brosef!
Something tells me I should start going to the gym haha.

at least you got that out of the way without any real damage
Agreed :)

rceezy
April 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
This is your one drop of the season. ;)

Broom
April 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM

haha... it counts.... maybe you and i just do that in the paddock, but someone would still call us out :D

g21-30
April 16th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Chris, Let this lady help you out:

http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Nemy
April 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM
good to hear everything's in order. cause even i would cry if your bike got injured lol

Snake
April 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are ok.
Droping your bike is not inevitable it's just unfortunate. I have "almost" droped my bike a few times but fortunately never have. If I ever do I will know how to pick it up thanks to the videos.

Kurosaki
April 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Chris, do many pushups, NAUGHW!!!!

I've had to pick mine up a few times and I'm a skinny ho.:thumbup:

lmao:D

Beast
April 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I've had to pick mine up a few times and I'm a skinny ho.
Thanks Joseph. Just when I thought I couldn't feel any worse :) See you Sunday. I'm bringing an EZ-UP this time. It's going to be a hot one.

miks
April 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Glad to hear you and the bike are A-Okay mate. Damage to a beautiful bike like that would bring a tear to my eye :(

kkim
April 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Chris,

good to hear you're okay and that the bike made it out without a scratch. those slider crap things work, eh?

you definitely need to work at picking it up. it's all about leverage and the proper pivot points.

have fun Sunday you guys! :ride:

komohana
April 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
chris, bike's fine, you're ok. bet thats the LAST situation you probably never thought of where you'd have a drop.
if it'll make ya feel any better...the first drop i had was w/my 'ceptor. pulled into a buddies road/driveway and saw this horse on the right side tied to a peg on the left side of the drive. rope was long and i sat there for a second imagining that rope getting taunt as i drive over it. i'm thinking this and i notice the horse starts to trot past me on the right....UH OH...here comes the rope! that sucker lasso'd me AND my bike and took me to the freaking ground!

:beatdeadhorse:

and he didnt even help pick the damd thing up either

Broom
April 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
does it look like your slider mount bent back at all?

zartan
April 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Chris, Gee so sorry you had a bad time. So glad the sliders worked. I can understand how you were probably embarassed, flustered and worried about your bike all at the same time. Don't beat yourself up over it. I want to practice picking up my bike but do not want to lay it down to try. Maybe TR will let me try on his. Haha! we could put a blankie on the floor.
Yea fat chance.
I just asked him and he said " no , sorry:)" haha
Hey I found some green vinyl finally I will email you soon. Color Kiwi!

Verus Cidere
April 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Glad to hear there's no damage to your bike and everything else is in tip top shape! Including you! In my town, if I dropped my bike in the street, someone would run me over within 5 seconds. Glad to hear the drivers in your area actually see you when you're stopped in front of them at a light! :rolleyes: Oh, and your story makes me even more mad that pregens don't have frame sliders! I have scratches all over both sides of my bike from drops by me or the previous owners! :mad:

Nice find on the vid. The only "pick up your bike" vids I could find only showed the right side up accross straight over onto the kickstand. Picking it up from kickstand side was still a mystery to me. I dunno.... I'm still wondering how exactly you keep it from falling on the other side while picking it up like that. :confused:

Beast
April 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Droping your bike is not inevitable it's just unfortunate.
Of course, I think I was implying that it was "inevitable" based on the general saying that "you will drop your bike, it's just a matter of when". Obviously that's not a fact :)

does it look like your slider mount bent back at all?
Not at all, only thing "damaged" is some scuffs and scrapes on the slider itself.

Hey I found some green vinyl finally I will email you soon. Color Kiwi!
Go kiwi! Was wondering if you were ever going to send that :) Yeah, definitely frustrating.

have fun Sunday you guys!
Will do Cap'n! :happy110:

xTKx
April 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Hey Chris. Must have been a scary thing to drop on the freeway! :eek:
+1 to Sam for posting the vid on how to pick up your fallen bike!!
Hooray for Intuitive frame sliders! Thanks for testing those out for me! :cool: LOL!

BlueTyke
April 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
scary! :eek: glad you are okay though!

There is a technique for picking up a dropped bike. Its the one where you lift it from the seat area with your back facing the bike so that you can lift with your legs... I think there is a video somewhere about it...

k4MPyX0QCYw

paterick4o8
April 17th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Glad your bike's ok Chris and no cars ended up hitting you after the drop.. I guess that's the good part about So Cal traffic in this case

Broom
April 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM
i'm surprised they didn't just try to push you out of the way with their front bumper.

Ichiro
April 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Damn. Sorry to hear it, but glad you are OK.

KVR
April 19th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Glad you're okay Chris and that the bike isnt damaged! Sorry no one helped you pick up the bike right away but yeah man you need to hit the gym...lol the 250 is the lightest bike in the world lol. I can bench more than this bike lol. Handlebars didnt bend at all?

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 19th, 2009, 02:39 AM
The bike is pretty light, but not everyone is the same strength and in an intense situation the basic principles of leverage are probably not the first thing on your mind. There's no shame in not being able to pick it back up. I bet now that you've watched these vids though you'll be better equipped if God forbid it ever goes down again. Good to hear you're both okay though.

Buffalony
April 19th, 2009, 04:48 AM
:eek:
Being on the highway dressed like a storm trooper struggling to get the worlds most expensive ninja 250r off the ground SUCKS.:D

Sorry to hear chris. Good thing you had the sliders.
I watched the vid, crashed, then bought sliders:o
Glad to hear they helped though. mine came in yesterday.

1up2dwn

paterick4o8
April 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
The bike is pretty light, but not everyone is the same strength and in an intense situation the basic principles of leverage are probably not the first thing on your mind. There's no shame in not being able to pick it back up. I bet now that you've watched these vids though you'll be better equipped if God forbid it ever goes down again. Good to hear you're both okay though.

that's what I was thinking ahah. I've dropped my bike before and was able to pick it up, even w/o using that technique in the video. but yeah, maybe it was just hard for Chris in a situation where he was embarrassed and many people watching. I can see that happening to me maybe

NICUNinja
April 19th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Haven't dropped mine yet....but did fess up to my husband that I had dropped his previous green 650. Was moving it out of the garage to get to the lawn tracker and it started to go over and I layed it onto the right side gently ... then in a panic (I didn't want to get caught :eek:) I put the kick stand down and went over to the right side and lifted it up (all 128lbs of me) by myself. Course I didn't tell him until after resale. :p

ARc
April 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the dropped bike man! Those bikes like to fall in the most unexpected ways. Maybe that's why they call em ninjas?

Doesn't look like you need push-ups to get your bike up. Looks more like squats to me ;D