View Full Version : Tank Pad Not sticking!

Klondike1020
April 4th, 2014, 05:28 PM
We put a new tank pad on my GFs 300 and we tried heating it up by putting it in a zip lock and submersing it in hot water to make it more flexible.

We stuck it on the tank and the edges of it seem to be coming loose and sticking up!

We washed the bike. Dried it and buffed it with a microfiber towel before applying the tank pad/

Does anyone know a way to make the glue more adhesive? and do you think using a hair dryer to help it flex and adhere to the tank is a good idea?

thats what it said on a slip the ebay seller included with the stick on pad.!

Its pink and has a ninja chick in it. so my gf really likes it! now we just need it to really adhere!!!

Yakaru
April 4th, 2014, 06:33 PM
this thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=173109 advises using outdoor adhesive if that helps :)

cbinker
April 4th, 2014, 07:07 PM
did you wipe the area with rubbing alcohol?

Klondike1020
April 4th, 2014, 09:51 PM
did you wipe the area with rubbing alcohol?

no I didn't! is that basically to make it cleaner?

I cleaned it very thoroughly but I think I screwed up peeling the paper off of the adhesive side. Also the pad was a little stiff so it didn't want to flex.

I think next time I will heat it with a hair dryer and clean the surface with alcohol !

I will just order another on Ebay.

oh well . live and learn

cbinker
April 5th, 2014, 04:18 PM
no I didn't! is that basically to make it cleaner?

I cleaned it very thoroughly but I think I screwed up peeling the paper off of the adhesive side. Also the pad was a little stiff so it didn't want to flex.

I think next time I will heat it with a hair dryer and clean the surface with alcohol !

I will just order another on Ebay.

oh well . live and learn

when i put on my stomp grip, i used alcohol wipes to remove any soap or grease left from washing the bike it helps.

antiant
April 5th, 2014, 04:22 PM
ZODQX8j54Eg

:)

Klondike1020
April 6th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Has anyone put a regular tank pad on a ninja 300??

I tried to do my best and the tank pad stuck ok at first but later the edges lifted where it had to bend over the ridges of the tank.

The ninja 300 tanks are shaped funny and really ruined my feeble attempt at adding a tank pad errrg

Floki
April 6th, 2014, 10:24 AM
ZODQX8j54Eg

:)

+1 on this. Alcohols gets the wax off too which keeps it from sticking. Heat from the hair dryer makes the glue a little stickier/adhere better. No problems with my pad following this video.