View Full Version : brake issue

kittyslasher
April 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Okay so I have a question. I'm experiencing an issue with my rear breaks a bit of information
2012 model
15000 miles
new breaks new rotor and new break fluid

now I was stupid and ruined my last rotor I went metal to metal. So I replaced my rear breaks rotor at once. The issue I have is when stopping with the rear break the bike jerks. It feels as if I'm hitting the breaks letting go hitting and letting go repeat. I did my front as well with no issues at all. The bike will still stop when using the rear breaks and the pedal doesn't go all theway down so I don't think it's air related

cbinker
April 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM
what broke?

kittyslasher
April 4th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Brake* damn phone haha

cbinker
April 4th, 2014, 07:09 PM
is it giving a pumping feeling?

cbinker
April 4th, 2014, 07:10 PM
also why dont you use the front brake to stop? that is 75-80% of braking power for the bike.

kittyslasher
April 4th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I love my rear brake and it needs to be fixed describe a pump feeling the bike like jerks as if hitting the brakes
and letting go over and over again

Alex
April 4th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Has it always been this way, or did it just start? Is it possible you're just locking the rear wheel?

csmith12
April 4th, 2014, 08:06 PM
I would bet that he means pulsing, not pumping.

Pulsing is a sign of a warped rotor, or it wasn't installed properly. Do this, get the rear of the bike in the air and spin the rear wheel. Double check the rotor for straightness. I know you said it's "new" but ya never know.

kittyslasher
April 4th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Rear rotor is okay and it isnt locking it is happens despite how hard I press down. Can air be a problem?

alex.s
April 4th, 2014, 11:28 PM
warped rotor. or something isn't installed / aligned correctly

you said you replaced the rotor. with a brand new one? or with one off ebay? did you break it in properly?

kittyslasher
April 4th, 2014, 11:29 PM
I did break it in properly and it's brand new ebc rotor it did it from day one

alex.s
April 4th, 2014, 11:31 PM
maybe the rotor isn't mounted correctly/completely flat

alex.s
April 4th, 2014, 11:32 PM
are you sure this isn't a chain problem

kittyslasher
April 4th, 2014, 11:35 PM
It only happens when using rear break and i really feel it at low speeds so I'm assuming it's the rear break

DaBlue1
April 5th, 2014, 05:21 AM
....the pedal doesn't go all the way down so I don't think it's air related

Have you tried adjusting the brake pedal position.?

csmith12
April 5th, 2014, 08:22 AM
If you want to be very complete in your diag, you could also check the rear wheel bearing as well. While under throttle load, a bearing issue could be somewhat hidden from the rider but while under braking and on the rear brake, it could be more easily felt, especially at lower speeds.

Assuming none of the above solves the problem, you could try to bed the brakes again. Just give the rotor a light sanding and remount. The purpose of bedding them is to transfer some of the pad to the rotor in a uniform manner.

I am running out of ideas, good luck!

kittyslasher
April 5th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Have you tried adjusting the brake pedal position.?

how will that fix my pulsating issue?

kittyslasher
April 5th, 2014, 09:15 AM
If you want to be very complete in your diag, you could also check the rear wheel bearing as well. While under throttle load, a bearing issue could be somewhat hidden from the rider but while under braking and on the rear brake, it could be more easily felt, especially at lower speeds.

Assuming none of the above solves the problem, you could try to bed the brakes again. Just give the rotor a light sanding and remount. The purpose of bedding them is to transfer some of the pad to the rotor in a uniform manner.

I am running out of ideas, good luck!

Yeah im running out of ideas as well. Thanks for all your help guys ima try some of the suggestions look into the bearing as well as the bedding again (i doubt it needs to be re bedded since it did it from the moment i put them on.) but who knows ill update with any new info. Thanks again guys you've always been a huge help

alex.s
April 5th, 2014, 09:25 AM
measure the rotor all around it with micrometer and see if its warped.

if its not warped, try shaking the rear wheel side to side and see if there is play

while its still on the stand but pointing away from anything important just in case you screw up and it falls, turn it on and put it in first and see how it runs while you can inspect it down by the rear end. dont chop your fingers off.

Motofool
April 5th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Yeah im running out of ideas as well...........

If everything seems to be as good as new, consider this:

http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article/114514/a_different_angle_on_brake_pulsation.aspx

DaBlue1
April 5th, 2014, 10:59 AM
how will that fix my pulsating issue?

When my brake pedal was too tight like yours it wouldn't go down all the way either. It also would not move the spring inside the master cylinder to go in fully. The brake worked, but I could tell it was not 100% until i adjusted it properly.

May not be your case though. All bikes are different.

alex.s
April 5th, 2014, 11:24 AM
i'm putting my money on the chain being ****ed up

kittyslasher
April 6th, 2014, 02:57 AM
i'm putting my money on the chain being ****ed up

Brand new chain with correct slack I had a friend take it for a ride after I wrecked today :/ he said break is spongy so yeah its most likely air

Alex
April 6th, 2014, 02:58 AM
I had a friend take it for a ride after I wrecked today :/

Are you OK? How is the bike?

kittyslasher
April 6th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Are you OK? How is the bike?

Some road rash. The road at through my jeans and even tho I have a jacket I got rash on my left arm. My concern right now is my ankle it's in a lot of pain and I hardly can move it. I'm assuming it's sprained.

bike left side is all torn up fairing cracked and scratched all to hell it bent the shifter slightly and rotated it. We spun it around and rebent the shifter so all is good except for the cosmetics now. I had just taken my sliders off too because the mounts loose and the bolt was cutting into my radiator hose. Yall are a great group of people and I thank you for caring

Skullz
April 6th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the crash and hope for a full and speedy recovery.

csmith12
April 6th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Dang... :\

Speedy recovery mang.

kittyslasher
April 6th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks everyone. I have a question it is way off topic but taking things into consideration of my accident what is the best cosmetic repair? Should I buy the fairings that got torn up or should I buy some aftermarket abs kit from china? I hate street fighter so not an option