View Full Version : head lamp and pilot lamp query

BravoDelta
April 7th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Hi,
own a 2012 ninja 250R and couple of days back realized that the low beam and the pilot lamp is not working. the pilot lamp is also called as "city lamp" in the manual.
The high beam works fine though and i checked to see if the low beam bulb has gone bad but it has not. could this be a fuse issue? if yes, then all 3 should not work right?
Please help/ advice.

Dheeraj

NevadaWolf
April 7th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Not sure on the headlight....

The city light, if I remember the manual correctly, is hooked in with the license plate light and tail light. Are those working?

If my memory serves and it may very well not, the license/tail/city should be on their own fuse while the headlights are separate.

linkinpark9812
April 7th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Hi,
own a 2012 ninja 250R and couple of days back realized that the low beam and the pilot lamp is not working. the pilot lamp is also called as "city lamp" in the manual.
The high beam works fine though and i checked to see if the low beam bulb has gone bad but it has not. could this be a fuse issue? if yes, then all 3 should not work right?
Please help/ advice.

Dheeraj

I have a 2012 but I don't have a city light, but I am in the USA so may be different. Both the high and low beams are on the same fuse so I doubt that is the issue. How did you confirm that the low beam bulb works?

NevadaWolf
April 7th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I have a 2012 but I don't have a city light, but I am in the USA so may be different.

Yep, they are. If you look inside your headlight housing, you'll see a small nickle sized flat disk in the top center. Other countries get a light bulb there.

I found it when trying to locate a wire to tap into that became hot with the bike turned on but not started.

BravoDelta
April 8th, 2014, 03:48 AM
I have a 2012 but I don't have a city light, but I am in the USA so may be different. Both the high and low beams are on the same fuse so I doubt that is the issue. How did you confirm that the low beam bulb works?

yes the US spec one does not have the city light. I swapped the bulbs and it was working.
I'll be sitting on this issue today and i have a feeling it's nothing major. I'll update the group.

linkinpark9812
April 8th, 2014, 05:15 PM
yes the US spec one does not have the city light. I swapped the bulbs and it was working.
I'll be sitting on this issue today and i have a feeling it's nothing major. I'll update the group.

Do you have a multimeter? You can see if there is voltage getting to the headlight plug. If there isn't you can go from there. Really, if the fuse is OK and there isn't some unknown wiring damage somewhere, maybe the high beam switch has gone bad and isn't completing the connection.

alex.s
April 8th, 2014, 07:33 PM
this is what google tells me your problem is:

http://i.imgur.com/UomDCwW.jpg

BravoDelta
April 10th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Do you have a multimeter? You can see if there is voltage getting to the headlight plug. If there isn't you can go from there. Really, if the fuse is OK and there isn't some unknown wiring damage somewhere, maybe the high beam switch has gone bad and isn't completing the connection.
nope. it turned out to be a faulty bulb. I'm not sure how a fused bulb can go on and off. feel silly. For now have swapped the bulbs and using the bike. will get the replacement done in the weekend.so many fake products out here. they even copy the hologram.:mad:
this is what google tells me your problem is:

LOL, yeah. turned out to be that..funny.