View Full Version : As n00bish as n00bish can be

Baron
April 7th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Hey everyone,
My name is Baron, at least what everyone knows me by. I finally decided to try and overcome my fear of riding and do one of things I always wanted to do this summer and try not go into a wall and come out the other end after leaving a me shaped hole in the wall[Just a thought].
I'm thinking of getting a getting a used 250R to start with in a week or so, so expect a **** load of questions from me. That being said and done, I'm glad to be here.
-Cheers

NevadaWolf
April 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM
:welcome: Baron!

Have you ridden before or is the fear just a general fear of being on two wheels?

Have you looked into taking any beginner training courses to help you become familiar with the bike in a controlled environment?

Don't focus on what you don't want to do (leaving a Baron shaped hole in a wall) rather focus on what you do what to do (successfully avoid any random walls while riding confidently). Seems minor, but really helps with the feeling of being in control while riding.

Baron
April 7th, 2014, 02:54 PM
:welcome: Baron!

Have you ridden before or is the fear just a general fear of being on two wheels?

Have you looked into taking any beginner training courses to help you become familiar with the bike in a controlled environment?

Don't focus on what you don't want to do (leaving a Baron shaped hole in a wall) rather focus on what you do what to do (successfully avoid any random walls while riding confidently). Seems minor, but really helps with the feeling of being in control while riding.

Thank you for the welcome

Well I do know the basics to a certain degree, I have driven my brothers 250r a few times around the parking lot and before that I was learning a couple of years ago but the friend who was teaching me found a new love in procrastinating and well that's that.

I would say it's more or less a fear of driving in itself since I never was allowed to ride anything before I was 18[overly strict father] and not having the time afterword to get into it.

I have looked into the motorcycle safety course in the area but my work schedule always gets in the way and I can't take a day off this month because I already booked one night off to go and see Black Sabbath this week, xD

NevadaWolf
April 7th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I would strongly recommend getting actual training. Usually being taught by a friend doesn't cover everything and can sometimes leave you with bad habits. But yeah I know how the schedules conflict. Dealt with that myself.

Tough gig, you only get one night off a month?! ;)

When i first started driving I hated it. Scared stiff of it and wouldn't voluntarily drive myself anywhere. But then I got my first bike and found i felt more comfortable on it, I could sense the world around me easier than being surrounded by a cage. Riding helped me get over my fear of driving. I can sympathize.

Ask as many questions as needed, use the search heavily, and know we are all here to help each other out. There are a ton of folks here who are where you are at or have been in your place before.

:)

Baron
April 7th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I would strongly recommend getting actual training. Usually being taught by a friend doesn't cover everything and can sometimes leave you with bad habits. But yeah I know how the schedules conflict. Dealt with that myself.

Tough gig, you only get one night off a month?! ;)

When i first started driving I hated it. Scared stiff of it and wouldn't voluntarily drive myself anywhere. But then I got my first bike and found i felt more comfortable on it, I could sense the world around me easier than being surrounded by a cage. Riding helped me get over my fear of driving. I can sympathize.

Ask as many questions as needed, use the search heavily, and know we are all here to help each other out. There are a ton of folks here who are where you are at or have been in your place before.

:)

Security gig, night shift. With so many others in line, if I turn into an irritant I am off. Expendable. So I try not to take a lot of days off, I do take a few off every now and then but I try and stay below the radar. With the weekend shift being a 12 hour one which clashes with the 2 days of the safety course and attracts more attention from the people above.
I am looking for something else but in the meantime I have to pay the bills somehow.

Thanks for the welcome.

KJohnson21
April 7th, 2014, 09:44 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

csmith12
April 8th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Welcome!

Baron
April 8th, 2014, 06:09 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

Welcome!

Thank you. :)

crazymadbastard
April 8th, 2014, 06:33 AM
welcome aboard!
Do not get on a bike and go at any speed beyond 7mph in a parking lot. Stuff changes really fast beyond that and not being ready will put you through a wall. Go to class.

Oh and enjoy the ride. :D

BlackShinobi
April 8th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Welcome Baron! I've only been riding for 2 weeks now and loving it.

misfitsailor
April 9th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the forum! I wish you luck in your challenging situation.

EternalNewb
April 9th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Welcome, and good luck. I was in a similar position when I got my M1, and for a while after getting my ninjette. Do take a course, and get proper training, even if it takes extra time. It's very worth it. And like NevadaWolf said, don't focus on what you don't want to do, but rather what you do want to do. Ride safely, and have fun. :wave:

auntymunga
April 10th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Welcome! Don't worry I am a noobie too but people on the forum are friendly and happy to help. We can all learn together :)

Baron
April 10th, 2014, 09:52 AM
welcome aboard!
Do not get on a bike and go at any speed beyond 7mph in a parking lot. Stuff changes really fast beyond that and not being ready will put you through a wall. Go to class.

Oh and enjoy the ride. :D

Welcome Baron! I've only been riding for 2 weeks now and loving it.

Welcome to the forum! I wish you luck in your challenging situation.

Welcome, and good luck. I was in a similar position when I got my M1, and for a while after getting my ninjette. Do take a course, and get proper training, even if it takes extra time. It's very worth it. And like NevadaWolf said, don't focus on what you don't want to do, but rather what you do want to do. Ride safely, and have fun. :wave:

Welcome! Don't worry I am a noobie too but people on the forum are friendly and happy to help. We can all learn together :)

http://www.cute-factor.com/images/smilies/onion/bikep1.gif http://www.cute-factor.com/images/smilies/onion/088.gif

250rr
April 10th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Welcome, my friend. thinking of getting a getting a used 250R to start with in a week or so, so

How long have you been rapping? :D

Baron
April 10th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Welcome, my friend.

How long have you been rapping? :D

http://www.cute-factor.com/images/smilies/onion/8c460310.gif I was half asleep. xD
On a side note I did record a few tracks a few years ago. xD

250rr
April 10th, 2014, 02:22 PM
http://www.cute-factor.com/images/smilies/onion/8c460310.gif I was half asleep. xD
On a side note I did record a few tracks a few years ago. xD

Nicely done. You took some verbal abuse from me, turned it around and made me look mean and petty. Which I am... Congrats! You'll fit in here just fine. :thumbup:

Motofool
April 14th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Welcome to Ninjette.org, Baron !!!

NinjaCowgirl
April 14th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Welcome - and be safe out there! If you can't get in a a class - check out "Twist of the Wrist" I and II there's books and DVD's it will give you good information as a foundation before you get out on the road.

Snake
April 15th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Hello and welcome.