View Full Version : 150/60/17 rear tire do i need to change the front

brownninja
April 9th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Hey guys its time to replace my rear tire and i am pretty much set on getting a michelin pilot power 150/60/17 for the rear because it is cheaper than the oem replacement AND it looks way better from the research ive done. what i would like to know is if i keep the front the same since it isnt worn out would it make a difference with the pilot power being a radial tire

csmith12
April 9th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Some say to never mix bias-ply with radial. Others say it doesn't matter as long as you don't outride your weakest tire. Others say go with the best tire in the front. Which makes you most comfortable?

brownninja
April 9th, 2014, 09:03 AM
well I do not want to change the front tire since they are not worn out plus I'd rather wait than spend a 100 on the front tire. I wanted to know if safety would be an issue and how would it affect the ride with the two different tires

csmith12
April 9th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Is there a safety issue? No, but note handling could be somewhat different than what you're used to. I fall into the 2rd group, don't outride your weakest tire. In your case, the grippiest tire will be in the rear. So ride accordingly and you can swap the front out as you see fit.

allanoue
April 9th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Edit: :whathesaid:

Go with it and see how it feels. If you don't like it, get a new front.

rojoracing53
April 9th, 2014, 09:23 AM
If your still running the stock front tire for gods sake change that b***h to a race profile radial. I'm tired of repeating myself on this subject so your going to have to just trust me on this or search my old posts.

brownninja
April 9th, 2014, 10:21 AM
hey i tried searching for ur old posts but you have too many so if u dont mind can u tell me if the pilot power 110/70 or the 120/60 is good for the front after i get the 150/60 for the rear and why is it not good to ride the stock in the front

lgk
April 9th, 2014, 10:27 AM
i would not cheap out, by changing only one tire.
imo, the front irc feels terrible when the rear has more grip.

rojoracing53
April 9th, 2014, 10:27 AM
hey i tried searching for ur old posts but you have too many so if u dont mind can u tell me if the pilot power 110/70 or the 120/60 is good for the front after i get the 150/60 for the rear and why is it not good to ride the stock in the front

Fair enough, do try and help as many members here as I can, others I just tend to F**K with their heads. Go with the 110/70 because it'll fit your stock narrow wheel better, I ran a 120 on my stock front for several thousand miles and I felt fine as well. As for why the OEM front is s**t, well once you get the new radial on the front it will all become very clear. It has to do with stability in ALL conditions.

BoBO
April 9th, 2014, 10:36 AM
well I do not want to change the front tire since they are not worn out plus I'd rather wait than spend a 100 on the front tire. I wanted to know if safety would be an issue and how would it affect the ride with the two different tires

It should not be a problem if you are just commuting. However, its good to ride on oem tire size. Pus one in the back is OK, my bike came with 150/120....I will say it's OK on low speed, but the steering felt a bit heavy on the freeway. I'm happy I got rid those super wide tires. Instead I got some sport demons on oem sizing and it feels better all around. It's not like cars where the wider tire gives better grip. And mixing radial with Bias Ply is not the best thing either.

brownninja
April 9th, 2014, 10:46 AM
thanks

capt_bugaloo
April 9th, 2014, 10:50 AM
IMHO...

Never be cheap with your tires or brakes. You can get away with being cheap with the things that make you go, but not the things that make you stop.