View Full Version : Returning Rider +1 (Wall of text.)

Ninja Bob
April 9th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Hey all!

My name is Shawn and have been called Bob by my circle of friends for quite some time. They also throw in the Ninja part when I do something along the lines of scaling a tree. The names came way before the riding.

Riding started out by chance for me. About 3-4 years ago, a friend was going to take the written test and I decided to tag along and take it with him. Never been on a motorcycle prior and hadn't put much thought into it. Somehow he failed and I passed by one question. I walked into a booked up MSF class and got my name drawn from a hat to replace no-shows. Passed the class, and next thing I knew I had my endorsement within a week of motorcycles not even being on my mind.

The class was enough to get me hooked on riding and I was eyeing every bike I saw for sale. I happened to pass by this 1982 Suzuki GS 750 in a front yard asking 800 and talked him into giving it to me for 600.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1450&pictureid=11448

When I got the GS, it needed to be push started, it didn't have a muffler, it had a strange handlebar, and had several electrical issues. Boy did I learn way more about motorized vehicles than I ever wanted when I owned this thing. But, after fixing the above problems on my own, and dropping it a few times, and fixing it again, I decided to save up the money to buy a gently used '09 Ninja.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1450&pictureid=11449

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1450&pictureid=11450

I loved that one. It was my only means of transportation. Low sided once, but the damage wasn't extensive and I was wearing all my gear. Took it to Jersey with me when I moved for a job. Ended up in an extremely suburban area and needed a car to get around in the winter. Silly me, I sold the bike for cash for a down-payment on a brand new cage. In hind sight, I should have kept the bike and bought a beater for the winter. But, what's done is done.

I have since returned to my homeland of Cleveland. I still have my cage, but between the visceral reaction I was getting every time a bike went by and the fact that my current partner is also buying a bike, I decided exactly where to dump my tax return.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1450&pictureid=11451

This is the first one we bought (2010 SE) and we're buying a black one. I'm going to let her pick a color and I'll take the other. I'm 95% sure she's gonna go for the black and I'm gonna end up with this one. (I'm happy to ride either, tbh.)

She's a new rider and I anticipate we're going to have a lot of questions in regards to gear, maintenance, and mods.

I'll be (and have been) trolling the forum and wiki, but any input on this stuff would be great. We're both young professionals and don't have a huge budget, so we're not gonna buy the cheapest trash out there, but we are looking for the most bang for our buck.

That wall-o-text being said, I've greatly enjoyed browsing the forum and look forward to contributing. Can't wait to post pictures of both bikes side by side. Can't wait to ride my Ninja everywhere I go.

Alex
April 9th, 2014, 01:44 PM
:welcome: Ninja Bob! Glad to have you aboard...

NevadaWolf
April 9th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Howdy Shawn / Bob (how'd the nick name come about if I may ask?)

Sucks getting rid of a bike then watching everyone else ride, huh? Leaves an ache in you that nothing can replace. Been there, done that!

Welcome aboard!

misfitsailor
April 9th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Bob, welcome to the forum!:dancecool:

Ninja Bob
April 9th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Howdy Shawn / Bob (how'd the nick name come about if I may ask?)

Sucks getting rid of a bike then watching everyone else ride, huh? Leaves an ache in you that nothing can replace. Been there, done that!

Welcome aboard!

Yes! That ache was something fierce. I didn't realize how bad it was until someone pointed out the pained expression I had when I saw some go by and I mentioned I used to ride.

Bob came from high school. When I first met the group I ended up spending my days with after high school, they were all calling each other some weird names. So I wasn't sure if I should tell them my real name. Told em I was Bob. When they found out my real name, they decided it sucked. As for the ninja part, I had a reputation for climbing trees and such to break into locked places I needed or wanted to be. They mostly just call me Bob. I'm cool with whatever.

Joshua95
April 9th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Lol Bob I happen to be the same. I hadn't put much thought about riding motorcycle before, but on December last year I decided to take the class for no reason because I just thought it be a great idea to have a motorcycle license as well as car lol. Then I just bought my beautiful baby 09 ninja 250 3 some weeks ago, and I've been riding it since then and I LOVE IT.

JohnnyBravo
April 9th, 2014, 07:50 PM
He said threesome :clapping:

:welcome: bob. Gear up an ride green!

KJohnson21
April 9th, 2014, 11:15 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

Ninja Bob
April 10th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Lol Bob I happen to be the same. I hadn't put much thought about riding motorcycle before, but on December last year I decided to take the class for no reason because I just thought it be a great idea to have a motorcycle license as well as car lol. Then I just bought my beautiful baby 09 ninja 250 3 some weeks ago, and I've been riding it since then and I LOVE IT.

Grats on your new/awesome hobby! :dancecool:

Also, thanks for the welcomes everyone. :bounce:

(love these damn smileys)

psych0hans
April 11th, 2014, 11:11 AM
:welcome:

250rr
April 11th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Welcome, my friend.

Sirref
April 11th, 2014, 12:36 PM
welcome
you got my favorite 250 paint scheme
love that white on green 2010 se, almost bought one a few years back but ended up getting a pregen instead

greenaero
April 11th, 2014, 03:27 PM
welcome Ninja Bob!

Motofool
April 14th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Welcome to Ninjette.org, Shawn !!!

Snake
April 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Hello and welcome.

Ninja Bob
May 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Forgot to post a picture now that we've got both home.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1450&pictureid=11573

OTinyOne
May 14th, 2014, 09:12 AM
:love:There's my baby!!!!! :love:
There's nothing more painful than having her with me and not being able to ride until I finish my classes.

cbinker
May 15th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Hi, ShawnBob.